Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Newcastle

Comments

• Options
    Spurs should have cashed in on Kane already. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Football is plastic, especially the top end of the game.  As much as it’s great to see other parts of the world get to enjoy football in the same way we have for many years, it’s the productization that I take issue with.  Football in the Middle East is an exercise in branding, sponsorship and raising the profile of the Middle East.  There’s nothing wrong with that part of the world and they are entitled to enjoy the game as much as we have. However, let’s be honest, real football is about supporting a club and experiencing those in real life moments when you’re in the midst of a ridiculous sea of ‘limbs’ and you’ve been rewarded for the hours of effort and toil you put in over the years.  

That’s the Beautiful Game for me.  I know there are people who cannot attend games who are equally as passionate from the pub or their living room, so I don’t trivialize their support either.  I do just look at anything involving places like the Middle East or China and think it’s completely the antithesis of what I think the game stands for, but it’s just my opinion.

I cringe at the All or Nothing Amazon docs and the likes of Levy extending the commercial reach of a club like Spurs so they can host the Joshua fight and go on tours to far flung places to play in made up trophies.  I get it, and I understand it has to be this way, but I find it amazing that they can do all this with a solitary League Cup to their name in the last 20 years.  If it were on trophies won, they’re in the same bracket as the likes of Middlesbrough & Birmingham, we don’t see documentaries about them, or Adele performing at the Riverside.

It will always be something I watch and enjoy, but give me the coach with about 40 hardy souls on a Tuesday night in November on the way to Morecombe, over my club being used for commercial gains and building a global brand or whatever such bollocks these clubs now refer to themselves as
    Not sure I agree with this part. Football grounds have held big boxing fights for decades, and it's no different from The Who playing at The Valley in the 70s
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Most deluded fanbase in a league that contains Gooners and Scousers. Ashley wasn't a bad owner, but you'd have thought this lot were Bury the way they go on.

Reminds me of when Liverpool put out that video of celebrities begging the world to save their club and Echo and The Bunnymen's Ian McCulloch said the owners were 'raping' their fans. I don't remember any Liverpool videos coming out to support us or any other club facing an existential crisis. 

As I understand it, under Ashley, NUFC are one of only three PL teams who were not in debt! 
  • Options
    I lost interest in the prem around 2007 (can you guess why?), ill only get interested again when big Nige completes our double promotion. 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Isn't this the same mob that RD rejected outright?
    Yes
    Christ almighty. This bloody club. What could have been.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Isn't this the same mob that RD rejected outright?
    Yes
    Sorry mate, I'm finding that a bit hard to believe. Everyone says this is all about Saudi, the country, burnishing its global image. As Qatar (PSG) and Abu Dhabi (Citeh) have done. You kind of see the point aht even in the Championship owner ship of Charlton wasn't quite going to cut it alongside those two? They have bottomless pockets and would surely not go lower than the FAPL, whose global reach on TV is part of the strategy. They could have waved wedge at Gullivan for example. 

However if you can actually name the names of those involved who were there, and who are involved at Newcastle, I will of course believe it, surprising though it would remain.

• Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Newcastle can’t expect to go and buy the worlds best straight away though. Would you sign for Newcastle or Man City?

they need to improve, get to mid table, have cup runs, etc then start attracting star players.
    LOL. I think you’re seriously underestimating how greedy some players are.
    Every player will be saying 'it's been my dream to play for the Geordies'.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    I'm just glad I've made my peace and accepted that Spurs will never win the PL or CL in my lifetime.

Levy on the phone right now...

'Hi is that Amanda Staveley?  Would you like to buy Harry Kane?  He's available for £250m!'

Promise me you’ll live forever on that basis 
  • Options
    Feck me... Its the whole "Newcastle have been through some tough shit of late, their fans deserve this" thats pissing me off just a tad - Signed Willock for £25m this summer and have been in the Premier League for all but two of the last god knows how many years.

Dont get me wrong it'll be good to see another side trying to break the monopoly of rich clubs - after all the "its got to be earned, rather than paid for" is bullshit, you dont get anywhere in the Sport without splashing the cash anymore.

Leave out the wounded animal act out of it!!
    I get your point but it comes down to levels and expectations.

We all laugh when Arsenal fans have a meltdown and want the owner gone when they finish 7th in the PL, but  because they're a club with a 60k stadium, great history and a global fanbase, obviously their fans expect better. But to clubs like us stuck in league one, we just think their fans are entitled pricks.

Same for Newcastle, 50k fans each home game, huge club, great away support, and they had an owner who was happy just to tread water for over a decade. No club of their size would be happy with that, but to smaller clubs they just seem entitled.
  • Options
    Feck me... Its the whole "Newcastle have been through some tough shit of late, their fans deserve this" thats pissing me off just a tad - Signed Willock for £25m this summer and have been in the Premier League for all but two of the last god knows how many years.

Dont get me wrong it'll be good to see another side trying to break the monopoly of rich clubs - after all the "its got to be earned, rather than paid for" is bullshit, you dont get anywhere in the Sport without splashing the cash anymore.

Leave out the wounded animal act out of it!!
    I get your point but it comes down to levels and expectations.

We all laugh when Arsenal fans have a meltdown and want the owner gone when they finish 7th in the PL, but  because they're a club with a 60k stadium, great history and a global fanbase, obviously their fans expect better. But to clubs like us stuck in league one, we just think their fans are entitled pricks.

Same for Newcastle, 50k fans each home game, huge club, great away support, and they had an owner who was happy just to tread water for over a decade. No club of their size would be happy with that, but to smaller clubs they just seem entitled.
    Agree to a point....but you cannot equate treading water with gross mis-management and threat of administration / liquidation.
  • Options
    I expect a Robinho style marquee signing, the sort of overpriced "name" player that you sign to show the world you mean business.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    they put bid in and Aussies kept beating it, think they put in three higher bids and it went quiet. Did hear of a plan to sell training ground and build ninety houses, but they then realised they couldn't develop on the whole area.
    They had a training ground lined up in Grays apparently because a lot of players lived in Essex anyway
  • Options
    I expect a Robinho style marquee signing, the sort of overpriced "name" player that you sign to show the world you mean business.
    Yeah - they've had to get by on bargain basement Joelinton 40mil type signings this far  :/
  • Options
    Redhenry's proved to have been correct about things Charlton,  on many occasions. 
  • Options

Assorted Clubs - US investors

The US Government has bombed, attacked or invaded about forty countries since 1945 but, of course, they are our best buddies so we don't talk about that.

That's before we get to the fact that the US Government has also overthrown numerous governments it didn't like via the CIA.

Grossly unfair to include US Investors, who are private individuals and NOTHING to do with that their government does. Especially as we are now owned by a US citizen

It would be like condemning British owners for Iraq or Suez
    If China invaded Taiwan then the right-wing press would be imploring the PL to get Chinese owners out of the game.

If the US attacked China, as many of their leaders want to, then absolutely nothing would happen in terms of action against US investors.

If the west didn’t have double standards it would have no standards at all.