Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:

In other news, here are the latest LBW regulations for club umpires:

FIRST INNINGS

1. Have we made a good start?

2. If 1, was the ball hitting the stumps?

3. If 2, is this at least the fifth appeal they've made?

4. If 3, OUT. Otherwise, NOT OUT.

SECOND INNINGS

1. Did they give us an LBW earlier?

2. Repeat steps 1-3

3. NOT OUT

There were two plumb LBWs not given yesterday - though as I wasn't the bowler I didn't feel aggrieved. To be honest, Ash Jr's shout was so amazingly stone dead that I felt a little embarrassed on their behalf for their ump not giving it. Baffling decision.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Leuth said:

FIRST INNINGS

SECOND INNINGS

2. Repeat steps 1-3

3. NOT OUT

There were two plumb LBWs not given yesterday - though as I wasn't the bowler I didn't feel aggrieved. To be honest, Ash Jr's shout was so amazingly stone dead that I felt a little embarrassed on their behalf for their ump not giving it. Baffling decision.
    Where were you fielding out of interest to see a plumb LBW?
  • Options
    Riviera said:

PaddyP17 said:

Leuth said:

FIRST INNINGS

SECOND INNINGS

2. Repeat steps 1-3

3. NOT OUT

Where were you fielding out of interest to see a plumb LBW?
    Straight mid-off. Based on the batsman's guard; height of impact; and the way the batsman walked across his stumps, I'm comfortable saying we were robbed.
  • Options
    @Addick Addict just noticed that George Haley scored an excellent ton yesterday. Was a couple of years above him at school (and also Anish Patel, I think?) and he was always a devastating batsman. I presume he'll be playing some 1s cricket this year?
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

@Addick Addict just noticed that George Haley scored an excellent ton yesterday. Was a couple of years above him at school (and also Anish Patel, I think?) and he was always a devastating batsman. I presume he'll be playing some 1s cricket this year?

George batted very well and can be extremely destructive - he scored a double ton for the 2s last season. He has been in and out of the 1st team over the course of the last couple of seasons and is one of those players, at the moment anyway, who destroys a 2nd team attack but isn't quite at the level to be able to hold onto a first team place. He's also a scratch golfer I believe.

Anish is a very consistent spinner and fixture in the 2s too (wasn't available this week) and is, perhaps, unlucky not to have been given an opportunity in the 1s. Difficulty is that you have Adam Riley in the side plus Jas Bassan, Kent 2s and Anish is never going to get into the side based on his batting.

These two are in their early 20s but not even at the youngest end of the 2s - this week we had five between 15 and 18 who, between them took all bar one of the wickets compared to a Beckenham line up that probably had one player under 25. So the future is bright but it is a big step up to that next level. In Seb's case, until he gets to prove himself with he bat, he has not one but three wicket keepers to overcome in the firsts - one who is the current Scotland keeper and two others who kept for the Kent 2s last season!
  • Options
    <
    Leuth said:

What's happened now ffs

Leuth said:

Not going to mention the chap with figures of 10-3-19-3 opening the bowling? ;)

some wides and no balls in that lot too

• Options
    lolwray said:

<

Leuth said:

What's happened now ffs

Leuth said:

Same goes for most of us - I bowled absolute rubbish - but by the time I came on (replacing Leuth) I think it's fair to say the game was sewn up and I'd let myself relax a bit mentally.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

lolwray said:

<

Leuth said:

What's happened now ffs

Leuth said:

Same goes for most of us - I bowled absolute rubbish - but by the time I came on (replacing Leuth) I think it's fair to say the game was sewn up and I'd let myself relax a bit mentally.
    shame actually ..now i know what your real names are, its spoilt the fun
  • Options
    lolwray said:

PaddyP17 said:

lolwray said:

<

Leuth said:

What's happened now ffs

Leuth said:

To be honest, I've not exactly hidden it!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

lolwray said:

PaddyP17 said:

lolwray said:

<

Leuth said:

What's happened now ffs

Leuth said:

To be honest, I've not exactly hidden it!
    Paddy Plum.

Obvious.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:

lolwray said:

<

Leuth said:

What's happened now ffs

Leuth said:

Just noticed you were playing our 4th XI on Saturday. A bunch of geriatrics and a couple of good colts, by the looks of it.
    Decent achievement to get over 200 on that pitch though.

One of our lads got a big hundred over on the main square vs Blackheath Wanderers. He's a big Charlton fan, along with a number of us at ODs.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

lolwray said:

<

Leuth said:

What's happened now ffs

Leuth said:

Just noticed you were playing our 4th XI on Saturday. A bunch of geriatrics and a couple of good colts, by the looks of it.

One of our lads got a big hundred over on the main square vs Blackheath Wanderers. He's a big Charlton fan, along with a number of us at ODs.
    Aha! Yep, some good colts there - the lad with the 50 was very good on the off side which is a great trait to have. Your skipper was a useful bowler, but our number 6 hit the most ridiculous shot off him for a maximum (charged down the track and lofted straight over wide mid-off). Safe to say he won't be in my side much this season!

Mr Burton, on the other, I am fighting tooth and nail to retain. He bowls, too...
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

lolwray said:

<

Leuth said:

What's happened now ffs

Leuth said:

Aha! Yep, some good colts there - the lad with the 50 was very good on the off side which is a great trait to have. Your skipper was a useful bowler, but our number 6 hit the most ridiculous shot off him for a maximum (charged down the track and lofted straight over wide mid-off). Safe to say he won't be in my side much this season!

Mr Burton, on the other, I am fighting tooth and nail to retain. He bowls, too...
    Good stuff.
    Hope you enjoyed your afternoon at our club.
  • Options
    Thanks again Paddy for the heads up on the other thread = this has been rectified now. I just hope that your honesty doesn't come back and bite you if our 6ths end up beating you by the difference at the end of the season!
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

lolwray said:

<

Leuth said:

What's happened now ffs

Leuth said:

Good stuff.
    Absolutely! It was a beautiful day and you guys are a great bunch. Hope you guys can pick up from your first few games - definitely deserve to.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

lolwray said:

<

Leuth said:

What's happened now ffs

Leuth said:

Good stuff.
    We did. Tea was excellent - although at that stage a spare oxygen tent would have come in handy too.
  • Options
    Three wins on the spin! 199-5 played 131-8, that man @AshBurton with 56* and Ash Jr with his highest adult score of 34 opening the batting!

First league wicket for me, too, and @Leuth collecting 3 more. A good performance all round. Roll on next week!
  • Options
    The Mote 33 all out. Lol!
  • Options
    At 84-4 off 20 overs Seb strapped his pads on against The Vine 2s. 30 overs later with the score on 302-5 he still had his pads on. Bexley won by 27 runs in the end and as The Vine only lost three wickets we witnessed a total of 577-8 on the day.

• Options

At 84-4 off 20 overs Seb strapped his pads on against The Vine 2s. 30 overs later with the score on 302-5 he still had his pads on. Bexley won by 27 runs in the end and as The Vine only lost three wickets we witnessed a total of 577-8 on the day.

And your 1's managed their first win I see.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:

Yep - funnily enough they lost to the same two teams early on last season and still finished 2nd so all is not lost. We promoted one player from the 2s to the 1s because he scored a ton last week but the guy who came down hit 122 not out. Confirms the gap between the PL and 2nd team PL.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Yep - funnily enough they lost to the same two teams early on last season and still finished 2nd so all is not lost. We promoted one player from the 2s to the 1s because he scored a ton last week but the guy who came down hit 122 not out. Confirms the gap between the PL and 2nd team PL.
    Too many Sweaties.
  • Options
    @Addickted2TheReds I see that you had the "pleasure" of playing against the Gould brothers yesterday and in particular Byron. At least you had no trouble finishing in time to watch the Champions League Final!
  • Options

@Addickted2TheReds I see that you had the "pleasure" of playing against the Gould brothers yesterday and in particular Byron. At least you had no trouble finishing in time to watch the Champions League Final!

Looking at their scorecard, I hope they celebrated their only wicket like men possessed
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Looking at their scorecard, I hope they celebrated their only wicket like men possessed
    Two short of his century - in the 11th over!
  • Options
    As was discussed before in this very thread, it's pathetic that he's playing in the regional leagues
  • Options
    Leuth said:

As was discussed before in this very thread, it's pathetic that he's playing in the regional leagues

It is at leasr the KRCL Premier League though which is, apart from Bexley and Beckenham, made up of 1st teams with the likes of Roebucks having a number of pros including Chris Lewis who was caught by one 15 year old and bowled by another yesterday.

In Byron's case, because of the way he plays, you will get chances and have to hope that the fielding is up to it because, otherwise, he will make you pay.
  • Options
    Nice to see Byron was a generous captain and shared the bowling rou- Oh wait. I feel sorry for the poor twat batting 11 (or that looked to be the intention) who didn't bowl.
  • Options
    Also - we're top of the league given Holmesdale lost!!! Amazing.
  • Options

Leuth said:

It is at leasr the KRCL Premier League though which is, apart from Bexley and Beckenham, made up of 1st teams with the likes of Roebucks having a number of pros including Chris Lewis who was caught by one 15 year old and bowled by another yesterday.

In Byron's case, because of the way he plays, you will get chances and have to hope that the fielding is up to it because, otherwise, he will make you pay.
    Fair enough I guess. Didn't you just say yourself that there's a huge gap in standard between that and the KCL though? The Gould boys, if they score so many runs, ought to have a crack at the big-time, surely? They're the right age to test themselves. I guess they're trying to get their club into the KCL - not sure how they haven't done so yet tbh