Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club cricket thread

Comments

• PaddyP17 said:

lolwray said:

PaddyP17 said:

As for Seb - this will be a good chance at his age! He'd probably face a good challenge batting at 4/5. Our bowling attack is relatively consistent and Harshil, our left-arm quick, is really tricky. Would be good practice.

I think that Seb will probably bat at 9 so might not get in and won't keep either but that really won't be an issue for him.
    like to think he ll get some kind of game ..maybe give him the gloves for 20 overs
    The difficulty is threefold.

I don't know what they are going to do but I suspect that they are more likely to give a bat to those who would ordinarily bat in the 6-9 region for the 1st team simply because they won't have another chance in the middle before the start of the season next week.

The second thing is that Seb is playing for the school that morning and will need Papal Dispensation to leave early - and if they field first in the school game he will keep in that game.

And finally he is playing on Sunday against Downham and Bellingham when he will open the batting and keep.

So just fielding on Saturday and taking it all in might not be such a bad thing after all.
    Papal Dispensation?! Where is he at school, St Peter's Basilica?!

As for playing against D&B - a side very comparable to Colfes. The opening bat in question I've quoted will be playing on Sunday, and is also the D&B keeper! Kieran is a top guy and decent behind the stumps. Worth keeping half an eye on in terms of how carries himself as a keeper in a 1st XI setting (lots and lots and lots of chat, haha)

They have a decent bowling attack, too - might well be left arm right arm with Risky and Chris Goddard, though I wouldn't know for certain. Make sure he takes his time!
    Thanks for the info re Sunday.

He's at Chis & Sid - and despite the Director of Sport there being a member of Bexley he won't allow Seb off playing for the school on Saturday mornings in what are T20 friendlies. To be fair, though, they have very little batting if he doesn't play.
  • All superfluous as it probably persist all weekend
  • Got called up to the 1s the other day as Alex Blake had to go to Durham with Kent. Alex Blake out A2TR in... LOL!!

Anyway, dislocated thumb half way through second over. Welcome back...
  • @Addick Addict How did Seb fare yesterday?
  • Got called up to the 1s the other day as Alex Blake had to go to Durham with Kent. Alex Blake out A2TR in... LOL!!

Anyway, dislocated thumb half way through second over. Welcome back...

must have horrible fielding in the cold ...thats assuming you did it fielding.. rather than try to force open a mars bar or some such
  • PaddyP17 said:

@Addick Addict How did Seb fare yesterday?

Following the disappointment of Saturday's washout, he kept well, taking a couple of catches, to make it six in two matches, standing up including the wicket of Chris Goddard from a toe edge. Then opened the batting but got caught in no man's land from a ball that pitched on leg and took off stump - for a duck!
  • I umpired too and can safely say I was the coldest I've ever been either playing or officiating in a match!
  • i have played in 3 degrees on tugmutton common (locksbottom cc) early 2000s

can safely say i wont be playing for the next few weeks yet
  • PaddyP17 said:

@Addick Addict How did Seb fare yesterday?

Following the disappointment of Saturday's washout, he kept well, taking a couple of catches, to make it six in two matches, standing up including the wicket of Chris Goddard from a toe edge. Then opened the batting but got caught in no man's land from a ball that pitched on leg and took off stump - for a duck!
    Oppo have said his keeping was very tidy and he then got a snorter - shame about the latter. Scalping Godsy and Nashy (the no. 7) is no mean feat - both are tidy enough bats.
  • The injustices of being a keeper.

Last season Seb was keeping for Kent and a "no ball" was called so, under ECB regulations for the comp, a "free hit" resulted. The batsman was then bowled off the "free hit" but the deflection caused the ball to run to the boundary. So 4 byes against Seb.

There has now been a change of law so far as no balls and resulting byes and/or leg byes. Previously all runs off that ball, apart from runs off the bat, would have been called as "no balls" but now they aren't. Yesterday the ball slipped out of the bowlers hand and sailed ten feet over the batsman and Seb's head. So one no ball and the runs are given as byes!
  • Sponsored links:

• @Addick Addict what Saturday men's side does Seb play in/will he play in, do you know? Just seen that we're up against your 6th XI (I assume that's below him now) and I would not fancy seeing another Kent junior player paste us to all parts like Beckenham's 13 year old did last season!
  • A little birdie tells me (well, everyone at nets yesterday) that we've got a very strong side out this week - cue collapse and disrepair without the steadying influence of our skipper. When you come back in we shouldn't be letting anyone score over 120 all season
  • Seb is playing for the 2nds which is where he finished last season and primarily as a keeper. The 4th X1 will have a couple of Kent U14 players but the 6ths is likely to be made up of old stagers and a few youngsters who play club age group cricket - certainly capable nevertheless but unlikely to take a bowling attack apart.
  • PaddyP17 said:

@Addick Addict what Saturday men's side does Seb play in/will he play in, do you know? Just seen that we're up against your 6th XI (I assume that's below him now) and I would not fancy seeing another Kent junior player paste us to all parts like Beckenham's 13 year old did last season!

He plays for Surrey.

That kid will be playing 2s this year most likely.

With me in the 3s on Saturday though!
  • PaddyP17 said:

@Addick Addict what Saturday men's side does Seb play in/will he play in, do you know? Just seen that we're up against your 6th XI (I assume that's below him now) and I would not fancy seeing another Kent junior player paste us to all parts like Beckenham's 13 year old did last season!

He plays for Surrey.

Born in Kent, lives in Kent, goes to school in Kent, plays for a club in Kent but went to a Surrey game one day and decided that he wanted to play for them!
  • Seb is playing for the 2nds which is where he finished last season and primarily as a keeper. The 4th X1 will have a couple of Kent U14 players but the 6ths is likely to be made up of old stagers and a few youngsters who play club age group cricket - certainly capable nevertheless but unlikely to take a bowling attack apart.

Excellent news! You'll probably have a few useful players there, and it will be fascinating to see how they deal with what I genuinely reckon is the slowest spin bowling tandem cricket has ever seen (assuming Geth slips into the 4s to partner me at some point)...
  • Leuth said:

A little birdie tells me (well, everyone at nets yesterday) that we've got a very strong side out this week - cue collapse and disrepair without the steadying influence of our skipper. When you come back in we shouldn't be letting anyone score over 120 all season

On reflection, it certainly looks pretty strong! It gets infinitely stronger if Andy is able to bowl (did his shoulder in a couple of weeks ago). Then again, if he were able to bowl, he'd certainly be in the 3s.
  • edited May 2018

PaddyP17 said:

He plays for Surrey.

Born in Kent, lives in Kent, goes to school in Kent, plays for a club in Kent but went to a Surrey game one day and decided that he wanted to play for them!
    Haha, I know - mental.

Great kid, great player, great family... will that stop me giving him stick about his allegiances whenever I see him? Absolutely not.
  • @AshBurton @Leuth how are we going?
  • Sponsored links:

• PaddyP17 said:

He plays for Surrey.

Understandable.
  • edited May 2018
    PaddyP17 said:

@AshBurton @Leuth how are we going?

Mashed 'em. 10-2-29-3 opening the bowling, then Ash got swatted about by two small boys
  • Class! Heard it was a comfortable 50-odd run win and we got them all out - including a brace for Ash Jr! Great stuff
  • Hold up - I got 3-29. Will C got 3-26 off 9 overs, which are technically better figures. But he didn't have a hat-trick ball dropped. Yes, that's right, I had a hat-trick dropped. The previous wicket was a double-bouncer mind
  • It should also be mentioned that Ash took something of a ripper

2 catches and 15 not out.
    Excellent, well done Seb.

2 catches and 15 not out.
    Excellent, well done Seb.
    Thanks MLC. A catch and a stumping to get both their openers out. Seb came in the 42nd over with the score on 144-6 and put on 49 to take it to 193 with the opener on 95*.

Sandwich were 144-5 at exactly the same stage of the game but fell short by 20 runs.
  • Forced to storm off home after being withdrawn by Shooters Hill's twat umpire for bowling a second beamer. It's a friendly and I'm a spinner ffs
  • Leuth said:

Forced to storm off home after being withdrawn by Shooters Hill's twat umpire for bowling a second beamer. It's a friendly and I'm a spinner ffs

Your the twat for storming off home ffs.