Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    Hail Mary time - anyone free for a game tomorrow?
  • Options
    What's happened now ffs
  • Options
    Leuth said:

What's happened now ffs

1s need a player. Not my fault.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Leuth said:

What's happened now ffs

1s need a player. Not my fault.
    And is it decided yet who that player is?
  • Options
    Probably the one who smashed 70* off a near-first XI attack on Sunday, one would imagine
  • Options
    The case of Satwinder Dhaliwal

I see that this gentleman played for OCs 1st X1 for one game at the beginning of the 2016 season. This was after playing for Bromley in 2015 who he then went on to play for during the rest of the 2016 season. Quite what happened there perhaps our OC friends will be able to explain.

In 2017 he played for Blackheath Wanderers but, for some reason I believe he was banned for six weeks at the beginning of this season. Anyway he played under an assumed name last week against Bexley, opening the batting and taking a 5 for, but he was spotted and as a result Bexley got the points and BW received minus 5 points - and will be relegated at the end of the season.
  • Options
    Gosh. Is this true? That's awful from BW if so and they deserve punishment.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Gosh. Is this true? That's awful from BW if so and they deserve punishment.

The Play Cricket scorecard confirms the indiscretion:

Investigated by KRCL Management Committee. Rule 17.20 Case closed, relevant parties notified. Brian Smith 11.05.18

Rule 17:20 stated relegation is the punishment for such offences.

It was a classic case though of the original name put on the scorecard being someone who had achieved 5 career wickets. The situation wasn't helped, by all accounts, by other players calling him by his real name!
  • Options
    That's a ludicrously harsh penalty. Loss of game and points deduction completely fair.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

That's a ludicrously harsh penalty. Loss of game and points deduction completely fair.

I disagree; it is blatant cheating, supported by the captain (and therefore club).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

17.20 A team discovered playing any player under an assumed name will be automatically relegated at the end of the season.

Loss of game and points deduction isn't a deterrent as this is happening too often. This also wasn't a case of someone making up the numbers and if true that the guy was banned anyway the punishment is absolutely fit and proper.

• Options
    I have literally no idea who that bloke was. Punishment totally fair imo.
  • Options
    I can certainly recall certain similar shenanigans (not at my instigation!) at a previous club of mine, usually when a player turned up without registering. I guess the penalty wasn't relegation back then though
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

This was his only game for OCs in 2016:

http://oldcolfeians.play-cricket.com/website/results/2780841

What I can't work out is how he was a Bromley player the season before and became a Bromley player again straight after this game.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

What I can't work out is how he was a Bromley player the season before and became a Bromley player again straight after this game.
    He can be transferred to another club before the end of May; we had a player join Chisles after RACS got relegated last year; he played two games and was dumped/mutual consent (as he was rubbish) and went off to play for Sidcup. Ended up taking 40-odd wickets for their 2's!
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

My gosh what a car crash of a season that was. I probably could've been in the 1s opening the batting and not done much worse than our actual team that year.

Still no idea what that was about. We've had an absolute revolving door of players in recent years! Only this season have things been slightly settled/consistent and carried on from last season.

I remember one of our old captains struck a deal with a strong Sunday side called Kingfisher, and teamsheets in the week often read "KF1, KF2, KF3". No-one knew who they were. Madness.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

PaddyP17 said:

He can be transferred to another club before the end of May; we had a player join Chisles after RACS got relegated last year; he played two games and was dumped/mutual consent (as he was rubbish) and went off to play for Sidcup. Ended up taking 40-odd wickets for their 2's!
    I am aware of that and it is the reason that intrigues me for OCs to sign him from Bromley and after one game he or they decide to leave OC's and transfer back to Bromley.
  • Options
    @Addickted2TheReds - hope that you're in the Beckenham 2s again this week so we can renew acquaintances.
  • Options

@Addickted2TheReds - hope that you're in the Beckenham 2s again this week so we can renew acquaintances.

Could well be mate, although was stumped third ball away to Lordswood in the only game I've played for them this season!! That said, I was picked last week - just didn't play because of the rain.

Will find out towards the end of the week.

Hope so though, be good to see you again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Leuth said:

17.20 A team discovered playing any player under an assumed name will be automatically relegated at the end of the season.

Loss of game and points deduction isn't a deterrent as this is happening too often. This also wasn't a case of someone making up the numbers and if true that the guy was banned anyway the punishment is absolutely fit and proper.

Absolutely - there is nothing worse than arseholes who ruin a game like this, it is absolutely taking the piss.

In our team here in Oz we had a guy who had played professionally but refused to bowl for our team as it would not be fair, he batted at five and was a decent batsman but nothing outrageous.

I remember playing for the dear old RACS 3rd XI one Sunday afternoon and Hartley played a first team batsman against us and he tonked us all around the park until I bowled him with a chest high full toss that he ducked under and it hit the top of leg stump, he wasn't happy but our umpire strangely declined to call it a no-ball.....
  • Options
    @Addick Addict

I've been pretty unwell for the last few days.

I was trying to get better for Saturday but frankly I'm getting worse so have told the skippers I can't to give them the best chance of re-balancing/finding a replacement.

Unfortunate timing!
  • Options

@Addick Addict

I was trying to get better for Saturday but frankly I'm getting worse so have told the skippers I can't to give them the best chance of re-balancing/finding a replacement.

Unfortunate timing!

Sorry to hear that. Hope you feel better soon and that we're both there for the return at your place.
  • Options
    I'd like to congratulate @AshBurton on his 69* (fnar fnar) in a partnership of 146, rescuing us from 62-4 and subsequently posting a total of 210-4!

Good 70-odd run win.
  • Options
    Not going to mention the chap with figures of 10-3-19-3 opening the bowling? ;)
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Not going to mention the chap with figures of 10-3-19-3 opening the bowling? ;)

No because I refuse to believe that actually happened :wink:
  • Options

@Addick Addict

Unfortunate timing!

Man flu?
  • Options
    In other news, here are the latest LBW regulations for club umpires:

FIRST INNINGS

1. Have we made a good start?

2. If 1, was the ball hitting the stumps?

3. If 2, is this at least the fifth appeal they've made?

4. If 3, OUT. Otherwise, NOT OUT.

SECOND INNINGS

1. Did they give us an LBW earlier?

2. Repeat steps 1-3

3. NOT OUT

• Options
    Leuth said:

In other news, here are the latest LBW regulations for club umpires:

FIRST INNINGS

1. Have we made a good start?

2. If 1, was the ball hitting the stumps?

3. If 2, is this at least the fifth appeal they've made?

4. If 3, OUT. Otherwise, NOT OUT.

SECOND INNINGS

1. Did they give us an LBW earlier?

2. Repeat steps 1-3

3. NOT OUT

You forgot the next stage which is if given out, the batter claims to have hit it.