Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options

Leuth said:

Forced to storm off home after being withdrawn by Shooters Hill's twat umpire for bowling a second beamer. It's a friendly and I'm a spinner ffs

Your the twat for storming off home ffs.

They were 145-0 chasing 167. I'm not taking any humiliation on top of that
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Forced to storm off home after being withdrawn by Shooters Hill's twat umpire for bowling a second beamer. It's a friendly and I'm a spinner ffs

Did you pay tea money mate?

BTW I'm implementing a fines system this year (probably a quid per person per game) for the funding of a jug and this will definitely be an offence to note! :wink:

Anyway, being withdrawn is ridiculous at that point in a friendly. Wow.
  • Options
    Yeah, um, yeah, the tea money...um...yeah I'll er pay next time. Yeah

Anyway, you should be pleased my annual meltdown happened off your watch :p
  • Options
    They weren’t beamers.
    The downward drift just hadn’t kicked in.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Leuth said:

Leuth said:

I know ( only pulling your leg) my son scored 104 n.o. ( off 62 balls apparently). Sadly wasn't there to watch. I will catch up with him at player of year tonight, I'm sure he will give me all the details!
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Who forced you ?

You were ordered from the field ?
  • Options

Seb is playing for the 2nds which is where he finished last season and primarily as a keeper. The 4th X1 will have a couple of Kent U14 players but the 6ths is likely to be made up of old stagers and a few youngsters who play club age group cricket - certainly capable nevertheless but unlikely to take a bowling attack apart.

2 catches and 15 not out.
    Excellent, well done Seb.
    Thanks MLC. A catch and a stumping to get both their openers out. Seb came in the 42nd over with the score on 144-6 and put on 49 to take it to 193 with the opener on 95*.

Sandwich were 144-5 at exactly the same stage of the game but fell short by 20 runs.
    Such is the life of a cricketer. Following Saturday's performance, Seb found himself the victim of a lack of movement from the feet and given out LBW - by his old man! Then on Monday, in what was the first ball off the innings, Seb was caught at square leg - after the ball had hit the helmet of the short leg!
  • Options

Seb is playing for the 2nds which is where he finished last season and primarily as a keeper. The 4th X1 will have a couple of Kent U14 players but the 6ths is likely to be made up of old stagers and a few youngsters who play club age group cricket - certainly capable nevertheless but unlikely to take a bowling attack apart.

Thanks MLC. A catch and a stumping to get both their openers out. Seb came in the 42nd over with the score on 144-6 and put on 49 to take it to 193 with the opener on 95*.

Sandwich were 144-5 at exactly the same stage of the game but fell short by 20 runs.
    Such is the life of a cricketer. Following Saturday's performance, Seb found himself the victim of a lack of movement from the feet and given out LBW - by his old man! Then on Monday, in what was the first ball off the innings, Seb was caught at square leg - after the ball had hit the helmet of the short leg!
    This is some third-hand coaching advice, so make of it what you will, but I forgot to relay - my mate the keeper for Downham and Bellingham said that while he got an absolute jaffa against them, lack of footwork would have been his sole criticism.

Apparently the first two balls were similar, but slightly shorter in length. The shape from that bowler's action came straight from the arm so the swing could be picked up early. However, for the third ball, it was exactly the same, but a bit fuller, and Seb perhaps didn't get a large enough stride in - maybe something to look at in nets?

-----------------

Anyway, despite the 3s having a gap in their schedule, I'm still stuck on nine for Saturday. So weird, considering we had 44 last weekend when the leagues were rife with concessions!
  • Options
    Played my first game of the season this weekend, scored 113. I am pleased to announce my retirement from the game with immediate effect
  • Options

Played my first game of the season this weekend, scored 113. I am pleased to announce my retirement from the game with immediate effect

Come play for me. That's more runs than I'll score all season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do we have an all-spin attack this time?
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

This is some third-hand coaching advice, so make of it what you will, but I forgot to relay - my mate the keeper for Downham and Bellingham said that while he got an absolute jaffa against them, lack of footwork would have been his sole criticism.

Apparently the first two balls were similar, but slightly shorter in length. The shape from that bowler's action came straight from the arm so the swing could be picked up early. However, for the third ball, it was exactly the same, but a bit fuller, and Seb perhaps didn't get a large enough stride in - maybe something to look at in nets?

-----------------

Anyway, despite the 3s having a gap in their schedule, I'm still stuck on nine for Saturday. So weird, considering we had 44 last weekend when the leagues were rife with concessions!
    Thanks Paddy and I should explain that there are reasons why this has started to happen.

For the last month Seb has been working with Callum McLeod on hitting the ball as late as possible in order to generate more power as his previous issue was piercing the inner ring - previously he was throwing his hands at the ball and whilst he was timing it, he wasn't finding the gaps. One of the drills that he has been doing a lot of is actually not moving your feet at all (a la French cricket) because you then literally can't hit the ball 'til it's under your eyes.

The problem is that Seb is a very nervous starter anyway and this transmits itself to him not moving his feet or head early doors so the combination of this and the drills has meant that he's feet are going nowhere - or, as in the case on Sunday, he plants his front foot and ends up playing round it. Both times he wasn't even trying to hit it but work it round for what would have been a non existent single anyway.

The irony is that as a keeper it is his footwork that distinguishes him from others but, as they say, you have to go backwards sometimes to go forwards!

• Options
    Leuth said:

In theory it could be us two, Ash, and Geth - but happily Digger is about. And Ben Shep didn't seem too bad last time out! More concerning is that we don't have 11...
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

-----------------

Thanks Paddy and I should explain that there are reasons why this has started to happen.

For the last month Seb has been working with Callum McLeod on hitting the ball as late as possible in order to generate more power as his previous issue was piercing the inner ring - previously he was throwing his hands at the ball and whilst he was timing it, he wasn't finding the gaps. One of the drills that he has been doing a lot of is actually not moving your feet at all (a la French cricket) because you then literally can't hit the ball 'til it's under your eyes.

The problem is that Seb is a very nervous starter anyway and this transmits itself to him not moving his feet or head early doors so the combination of this and the drills has meant that he's feet are going nowhere - or, as in the case on Sunday, he plants his front foot and ends up playing round it. Both times he wasn't even trying to hit it but work it round for what would have been a non existent single anyway.

The irony is that as a keeper it is his footwork that distinguishes him from others but, as they say, you have to go backwards sometimes to go forwards!

That would be the other thing - Seb potentially suffering from "small boy" syndrome in that he's not yet bulked up and filled out to hit the ball? (Not that I'd know, but D&B reported that he's not the biggest)

I think this seems like a one step back, several steps forward solution to solve the wider problem of finding the gaps - makes sense, so I hope he won't get too disheartened with any low scores?

(Hah, in-line edit - I've been responding to your post as I've been reading it, and just seen your last paragraph immediately after writing the above!)

I'd be patient overall though - power isn't too much of a concern given his age and size, yet. Hope the footwork can be resolved soon!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Leuth said:

In theory it could be us two, Ash, and Geth - but happily Digger is about. And Ben Shep didn't seem too bad last time out! More concerning is that we don't have 11...
    With the right 9 (and that's a good start) we can beat anyone in this league ;)
  • Options
    Yes, plenty of bodies around last weekend, but a distinct lack of quality at CWKCC. They broke a club record for their lowest ever league score - the 1st XI were 27 all out! The amazing thing was one batsman carried his bat! 7 not out, in 20 overs, while ten wickets went down at the other end. Of course, the last one just had to be a run out. Six ducks. And that was after conceding 52 extras to the oppo including 29 wides! I'm glad I didn't witness any of it!

I stood at Bromley, and it was lovely to have a former England bowler opening at my end (my first ball of the season!). Bromley will be strong this year, with good youth and plenty of experience, in what might be a difficult and tight Division One season. The Mote had no luck, but should be good enough to stay up on this showing.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

PaddyP17 said:

Leuth said:

With the right 9 (and that's a good start) we can beat anyone in this league ;)
    Fightin talk that
  • Options
    @lolwray you playing on Saturday?
  • Options
    And @Leuth we have eleven now, including Ibra and Haris. Thank fudge there was no 3s game this week otherwise we'd be well and truly fooked.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    PaddyP17 said:

afraid not padster..i have moved away from the locality and i am also having to help my daughter move house
    although i have noted the OCCC bravado and it has been passed on accordingly.I will be making a few cameos later on in the season.Neil is the skip this year ...you might be interested to know that he was once nearly a charlton player ,he was released by Millwall and played a few reserve games under Lennie but he wasnt taken on .Chris the former skip and CAFC fan i am certain will be playing (although the only thing you have to fear from him is his fashion sense)

is Gethin umpiring or playing? .. (hes a good lad)

hope its a tie 250 plays 250 ,game decided on the last ball
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    lolwray said:

PaddyP17 said:

afraid not padster..i have moved away from the locality and i am also having to help my daughter move house
    although i have noted the OCCC bravado and it has been passed on accordingly.I will be making a few cameos later on in the season.Neil is the skip this year ...you might be interested to know that he was once nearly a charlton player ,he was released by Millwall and played a few reserve games under Lennie but he wasnt taken on .Chris the former skip and CAFC fan i am certain will be playing

hope its a tie 250 plays 250 ,game decided on the last ball
    Ah that's a shame! No worries. May see you for the return fixture, who knows - all the best with the house move. Hopefully it's not too much hassle.
    We'd better we put up more of a fight than we did last season - and hopefully there are no 60-yard direct hit run outs from Assad...

I'd heard! 50 with the bat last week, too - hopefully we can put paid to that. Neil and I had a really good catch up at your place after the fixture in Catford and it came up - Chris I think is still looking for a few programs here and there; I don't doubt he'll be playing!

Would mind your lot losing by 1 run - a good close game, we get the full 20 points and you guys get enough :wink:
  • Options
    My mob has their first game on Sunday v Trinity Mids at their place.
  • Options
    Ibra AND Haris? Bloody hell. lolwray your boys have their work cut out
  • Options
    Would I be right that a certain Peter Tarrant who play for OCs is a teacher at BETHS?
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Yes, plenty of bodies around last weekend, but a distinct lack of quality at CWKCC. They broke a club record for their lowest ever league score - the 1st XI were 27 all out! The amazing thing was one batsman carried his bat! 7 not out, in 20 overs, while ten wickets went down at the other end. Of course, the last one just had to be a run out. Six ducks. And that was after conceding 52 extras to the oppo including 29 wides! I'm glad I didn't witness any of it!

I stood at Bromley, and it was lovely to have a former England bowler opening at my end (my first ball of the season!). Bromley will be strong this year, with good youth and plenty of experience, in what might be a difficult and tight Division One season. The Mote had no luck, but should be good enough to stay up on this showing.

7 no in 20 overs !!! who was he, Geoff Boycott ???. I love cricket but that innings must have been dire to watch.
  • Options

Would I be right that a certain Peter Tarrant who play for OCs is a teacher at BETHS?

Correct. Also a very good footballer as it goes.
  • Options
    Also, he and his dad are, for no real functional reason I can gather, invariably PT and CT (dad being Chris - not of Millionaire fame, but of Kent Over 60s fame)
  • Options
    Peter was in charge of the BETHS U15 side that played Seb's Chis & Sid team last night.

Disappointingly BETHS only had 9 players and they made just 60. Seb didn't bat chasing those runs down but he did say to me that he felt the umpiring when it came to decisions for his stumpings, from both masters, had been rather benevolent to the BETHS batsmen - you'd have thought that as a Member of the wicket keeping fraternity, as I believe he is, Peter wouldn't have been quite so generous!
  • Options

Peter was in charge of the BETHS U15 side that played Seb's Chis & Sid team last night.

Disappointingly BETHS only had 9 players and they made just 60. Seb didn't bat chasing those runs down but he did say to me that he felt the umpiring when it came to decisions for his stumpings, from both masters, had been rather benevolent to the BETHS batsmen - you'd have thought that as a Member of the wicket keeping fraternity, as I believe he is, Peter wouldn't have been quite so generous!

Aah. Yes, PT is very competitive and does things like that, even as a coach. I suppose he didn't want the mullering to be exacerbated for his kids - even though he is a keeper himself. A shame.
  • Options

Pedro45 said:

7 no in 20 overs !!! who was he, Geoff Boycott ???. I love cricket but that innings must have been dire to watch.
    Well I wasn't there, but he's an Aussie sticker (Bill Lawry?) with a gammy knee (so can't run much). His blocking technique has won games in the past (he holds one end up and the runs are scored at the other end), but that was a few years ago!