Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Watford v Charlton Athletic 2013 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    I don't mind admitting that CAFC are not the biggest club in this league but seriously Watford? Who, what, where the feck are they in the scheme of things?

Had premonitions of a drubbing yesterday, to a team on a run and with some fast skillful loan players, so overjoyed with the 3 points and well done to the lads...BUT Watford? don't make me laugh. We have our share of deluded fans on here but keep those quotes coming, they are very amusing...Watford?

• Options
    I mean Watford????? WTF!!!!!!
  • Options
    Question for Super_horns

As far as you know, how does your ownership structure work?. is the joint ownership with Udinese open and documented, or is it a bit murky? Do you have anyone on the board who is also a director of Udinese? If its all open, do they ever explain how they see the relationship between the two clubs working? And is it true, as someone told me yesterday, that they also own a Spanish club?

It strikes me,that if I owned both these two, I might see a bigger short term profit by getting Watford into the Prem, and then selling it. This might explain why they are so ready to loan class players like Vydra and (that diving asshole) Forestieri
  • Options
    Is that Geijo on loan from Udinese as well?

He looked a real player.
  • Options

Posting a day after the match but having read all previous posts.

This game brought back memories of THE Play Off Final. First they score, then we score, then we score again etc. Fantastic to watch , especially I suspect for any neutrals present. Would have been a brilliant one to televise ! But then again, that might have put several of our players firmly in the shop window....

Think you'll find Sir Clive scored first. Bloody missed it too as I went to relieve myself !!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Geijo is on loan from Udinese, yep. Had 100+ apps in La Liga I think. He's spent two years on loan at their Spanish club as well, with a 1 in 2 record.
  • Options
    Spanish said:

Posting a day after the match but having read all previous posts.

This game brought back memories of THE Play Off Final. First they score, then we score, then we score again etc. Fantastic to watch , especially I suspect for any neutrals present. Would have been a brilliant one to televise ! But then again, that might have put several of our players firmly in the shop window....

Think you'll find Sir Clive scored first. Bloody missed it too as I went to relieve myself !!
    Wasn't meant to mirror the POF - just an example as per what happened yesterday.

Re your bladder probs....take a plastic bottle next time.

• Options
    I think that was Jacksons 5th yellow this season so does he get suspended now?
  • Options
    Yup, my thoughts too, Folev
  • Options

I think that was Jacksons 5th yellow this season so does he get suspended now?

It gets 'reset' on the 1st Jan I think... Conveniently!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Geijo is on loan from Udinese, yep. Had 100+ apps in La Liga I think. He's spent two years on loan at their Spanish club as well, with a 1 in 2 record.

Cheers. I thought he was their best player.
  • Options
    Strange little club.
  • Options
    Se10 sums it up f
  • Options
    a question for superhorns.........

aren't you a bit embarrassed that you still have a whole side of the ground "unused" and wouldn't it be better to spend money on that before anything else, especially if you want to get promoted.

I've been to better League One grounds than Vicarge Road
  • Options

a question for superhorns.........

aren't you a bit embarrassed that you still have a whole side of the ground "unused" and wouldn't it be better to spend money on that before anything else, especially if you want to get promoted.

I've been to better League One grounds than Vicarge Road

Apparently they have an Olympic standard diving pool going in next week Golf
  • Options
    I noticed that Watford were hoping to reach 9,000 season ticket sales with their half-season offer. We have about 11,500, which I think is probably a fair reflection of the relative size of the two clubs.

I don't think I've ever known another ground where so much prime viewing area was neglected for so long, except possibly Wolves.

• Options

I don't think it is entirely fair for us to be critical of Zola. Watford have the link with Udinese and he has access to talented but theatrical players. He has to play them, but their gamesmanship doesn't go down well in this country. I know that they will see diving as a skill to be mastered, just like any other skill - it's what Italians do. but it is annoying to watch. They are young and need to learn to curb it as it won't help them with refs in this league. I think Powell has shown other clubs how to play against Watford and I can't see them sustaining a play off place.

Might be a bit harsh just to blame them though...

Bale,Suarez and Young aren't..

Nor are the number 5 or 41 themselves.

It's true, they aren't Italian but the Italians do it in an ultra cynical way - it gets people's goat. It used to annoy me when I played in a team with a couple of Italians in it - even at the level I played, they were embarassing divers who did it just as much in training.

Before I'm accused of being racist - I must confess that I am half Italian myself. The big difference is it doesn't bother them -it's just part of the game. But it bothers us -it's a cultural thing - and there is a difference in Bale going over at the slightest touch and Forrestieri's antics although I don't really want to defend Bale over diving as his actions in that respect do annoy me too.

I would imagine there are a number of Watford fans who don't like it one little bit. I know a lot of Charlton fans wouldn't be happy if we played with that spirit or lack of it.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I must say I am never a biased football fan but I love my Charlton more than anything . Half the time when fouls are given and the valley erupts in anger I'm sitting there thinking "that was a foul" so what I am about to say is in no way me being some sort of biased football fan.

I would absolutely hate to be a Watford fan. I have a bit of an emotional link to Watford as vicarage road was my first ever proper away game. We drew 2-2 with Lisbie missing a sitter right at the end. As a result I've always kept an eye on them and I've seen many similarities between the two clubs.

Until Udinese.
    These fans must realise they basically have a bunch of short term players who they probably won't see again after a season or two. On top of that they are a bunch of diving tarts and one of the few that isn't (Deeney) is an absolute thug who battered some guy and fortunately for him served his entire sentence in the off season.

What I'm getting at is that Watford as a club has changed substantially and if I was a fan before I would hate what I'm seeing now. I'd rather struggle in the champ than go for promotion like they are... The ends wouldn't justify the means for me.
  • Options
    I make you right Huskaris.

Perhaps that explains their poor atmosphere. Hard to get behind a group of players that aren't a real part of your football club. Or maybe their atmosphere has always been shite!
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

I must say I am never a biased football fan but I love my Charlton more than anything . Half the time when fouls are given and the valley erupts in anger I'm sitting there thinking "that was a foul" so what I am about to say is in no way me being some sort of biased football fan.

Haha me too. I wonder how many on here are the same.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2013

Huskaris said:

Haha me too. I wonder how many on here are the same.

+1. But the refs are often terrible so one way or another I end up using language my dear old mum would not appreciate one little bit.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

I don't think it is entirely fair for us to be critical of Zola. Watford have the link with Udinese and he has access to talented but theatrical players. He has to play them, but their gamesmanship doesn't go down well in this country. I know that they will see diving as a skill to be mastered, just like any other skill - it's what Italians do. but it is annoying to watch. They are young and need to learn to curb it as it won't help them with refs in this league. I think Powell has shown other clubs how to play against Watford and I can't see them sustaining a play off place.

Might be a bit harsh just to blame them though...

Bale,Suarez and Young aren't..

Nor are the number 5 or 41 themselves.

It's true, they aren't Italian but the Italians do it in an ultra cynical way - it gets people's goat. It used to annoy me when I played in a team with a couple of Italians in it - even at the level I played, they were embarassing divers who did it just as much in training.

Before I'm accused of being racist - I must confess that I am half Italian myself. The big difference is it doesn't bother them -it's just part of the game. But it bothers us -it's a cultural thing - and there is a difference in Bale going over at the slightest touch and Forrestieri's antics although I don't really want to defend Bale over diving as his actions in that respect do annoy me too.

I would imagine there are a number of Watford fans who don't like it one little bit. I know a lot of Charlton fans wouldn't be happy if we played with that spirit or lack of it.
    I've no wish to defend cynical divers but if you are moving at any great pace, like Bale does, it doesn't take too much contact to make you fall over. Ankle tap tackles in rugby are another example.
  • Options
    But then go down like a slow mo opening scene from Saving Private Ryan...
  • Options
    here is an interesting view on diving

Garry Neville

diving conversation starts at 4:25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXMehv29jZw
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    They seem to me now days as a club made up of a small section of old loyal fans and a growing section of dis interested in the premier league prices and morals of spuds, goonershite, chelski fans

I might be wrong but I meet a lot of people from rd here who say I go to vicarage rd but I support one of the above mentioned teams

How are they ever going to generate the atmosphere you want and if that is the case then surely the diving Tactics the prem standard theatrics will drive those fans back to Barnet and Stevenage
  • Options
    Just watched the highlights, Dervite was at fault for their second and third goals, there was no need to make contact for the penalty as Solly was across in cover and for the third he should have got something on the through ball.
  • Options

Just watched the highlights, Dervite was at fault for their second and third goals, there was no need to make contact for the penalty as Solly was across in cover and for the third he should have got something on the through ball.

Exactly and everyone was quick to slate SCP for not bringing Dervite on to replace Morro at ht against ipswich . On the evidence against watford SCP prolly hasn't got the same confidence in Dervite as the hindsight crew from the ipswich game
  • Options

I make you right Huskaris.

Perhaps that explains their poor atmosphere. Hard to get behind a group of players that aren't a real part of your football club. Or maybe their atmosphere has always been shite!

More likely the latter - we could win 7-0 and there would hardly be a sound TBH.

I suppose the guy who said fans might support 2 teams could have a point..particulary for those sitting in the family area.

Most fans are enjoying the football generally (particulary away from home) than much of the football served up in recent season even under Boothroyd which was very much a long ball style albeit effective for a season.

The Pozzos have suggested we are their main "project"and the word is we'll try to sign some of the loan players (I'd like to see Vydra and Abdi sign the most)

How loyal they remain after that is anyone's quess....sadly footballers aren't the most loyal as we know generally.
  • Options
    I don't think people were saying that Dervite is a world beater, but that it was the best option under the circumstances. Whether you agree or not - it is hardly hindsight if people were calling for it before the penalty. Anyway - best put that one to bed -it's history now.
  • Options
    great win first away game of the season good one to pick.