Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Christian bakery owners win appeal

Comments

• Options

I'd love to ask the customer if he'd go in to a halal/Islamic bakery and ask for the same slogan to be piped.

would not even make the local newspaper - many muslim workers in supermarkets wear gloves when handling alcohol or refuse to even sell it, difference is this is not there business.
    Seems pretty reasonable to me.
    But if some icing is halal and some isn't, (thanks for the link btw), how do you know when and when not to wear gloves?
  • Options
    Addickted said:

I'd love to ask the customer if he'd go in to a halal/Islamic bakery and ask for the same slogan to be piped.

would not even make the local newspaper - many muslim workers in supermarkets wear gloves when handling alcohol or refuse to even sell it, difference is this is not there business.
    But if some icing is halal and some isn't, (thanks for the link btw), how do you know when and when not to wear gloves?
    why do people have to provide links for you?
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Thank Allah the Muslim-owned shop across my road sells alcohol. Helped me out many a time

if you go into a halal curry house and they do not sell beer than that is fair enough - go somewhere else.

if i go to the sainsburys local at 10.30pm on a friday night to get a bottle of wine and a packet of fags and i have to wait an extra 10 minutes because the cashier will not handle the product - then that is bollocks.
  • Options

There's absolutely nothing reasonable, rational or logical about religion and religious beliefs being afforded such credibility and sanctity in Britain and other allegedly sensible progressive societies in 2018.
    Totally agree - but the CoE would firstly need to be disestablished and then the Equality Act updated to remove protection for religious belief/non-belief. Neither is going to happen any time soon.
  • Options
    Moving away from the bakery, it does feel sad that some people do not see such a message as normal and fine. If two men or two women love each other, what right do I have to condemn them for wanting to get married or look down on them in any way.

Of course you can be decent people and live your life by the teachings of your religion and those teachings can have elements that are not reasonable today. It is a tension that society has to deal with and one direction may be that it becomes more secular. I think France has taken this path to some degree. I think they have banned the wearing of burkhas in schools.
  • Options
    I haven't seen anyone being condemned. Refusing to pipe a message that you disagree with is hardly condemnation.
  • Options
    To be fair, I know a few days people who are against gay marriage, for very similar reasons as those who oppose it for religious regions (their reasoning being, why would I want that ceremony?)
  • Options

Addickted said:

https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/rattle-your-cage.540197/
  • Options
    People are entitled to handle and refuse to handle anything they choose, but why work in a place where you are probably gonna face problems? Some people are fuckin strange

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I haven't seen anyone being condemned. Refusing to pipe a message that you disagree with is hardly condemnation.

I wasn't referring to the bakery - I said moving away from the bakery to start the post. I was talking about how some react to such a message.
  • Options

I wasn't referring to the bakery - I said moving away from the bakery to start the post. I was talking about how some react to such a message.
    Fair do's.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Addickted said:

https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/rattle-your-cage.540197/
    twat
  • Options
    Happy to provide a link for you.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

No idea, I'm in no way religiois, in fact, I'd go as far as saying I'm anti religious, I think the world would be a much better place without it. I was just curious if halal icing was a thing
  • Options
    I actually read the label, and I think it's to do with the presence or absence of pork gelatin. And there was me thinking it was just sugar and water.
  • Options
    The strange part of this story is how did the ruling go against the baker in the first place when in Northern Ireland same sex marriage hasn't been passed in law ?

So many people now want their cake and eat it.
  • Options

The strange part of this story is how did the ruling go against the baker in the first place when in Northern Ireland same sex marriage hasn't been passed in law ?

So many people now want their cake and eat it.

Or eat their cake and have it.
  • Options

But why do they disagree with it? Because they're homophobic.
  • Options

They may not be homophobic, they just might not "support gay marriage".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2018

Same thing in my eyes - why else would you oppose it? It doesn't effect their lives at all.
  • Options

Because their God tells them to.
  • Options

Because their God tells them to.
    Ah the old excuse of a fictional character telling them it's wrong.
  • Options
    It seems to have worked
  • Options

Same thing in my eyes - why else would you oppose it? It doesn't effect their lives at all.
    It isn't the same thing imo. One can be perfectly happy with folk having gay relationships, but not recognise gay marriage (marriage - a religious church ceremony in this case). There are parishes that have openly gay clergy, but don't agree with gay mariage.
  • Options
    That is true, but you can get married outside of a church.
  • Options

It seems to have worked

Sadly.
  • Options
    There are so many layers to cakegate but if there's one crumb of comfort; it's that gay men are as daft as straight guys if they want to get married !
  • Options

There are so many layers to cakegate but if there's one crumb of comfort; it's that gay men are as daft as straight guys if they want to get married !

There's nowt wrong with marriage in my opinion - 31 years of it and counting with my soul mate.
  • Options

That is true, but you can get married outside of a church.

My point is that religious people, from across the board (well nearly), can have a positive opinion on gay relationships, but not agree with gay marriage. I also said "a religious church ceremony in this case" because it stated the bakery was "Christian"