Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options

Can see Ruth getting the pump tomorrow, what do you guys think?

Watching the BBC again Rob?
    Told ya umpteen times, I still got another 87 years of watching this shit to get me moneys worth
  • Options
    @Southbank hits the nail on the head - again Varoufakis makes the same points albeit from the left about the EU. If the next ten years are not resolved in an orderly fashion then it will be disorderly. We are in a post great recession environment which some view as just as volatile as the 1930s.

The Brexit referendum was simply the pivot into this new era. @stig asks above and there are a plethora stories across the West showing an increase in far right populist and those of the left too! The old centre left/centre right model is creaking due to perceived failure, new entrants as well as a touch of corruption and nepotism.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

@PragueAddick.

How is the election of Eurosceptic billionaire Andrej Babis and the massive shrinking of the pro European parties in the Czech elections being seen in Prague?

In Prague? Well in this house, the citizen with the vote- my wife- is extremely pissed off.
    In Prague 6 where we live, much the same, as ANO only got 15% on a turnout far higher than national average. And across Prague, they got 20% compared to the national figure of 30%. Does this start to sound familiar?
    However the EU hardly registers as an issue, and Babis cannot be seen as a straightforward populist, even if I despise him almost as much as I do Farage and Johnson.

If I were you, I would go back to not worrying about a faraway country of which you know little ( to quote that pathetic twat Neville Chamberlain)

• Options

Addickted said:

@PragueAddick.

How is the election of Eurosceptic billionaire Andrej Babis and the massive shrinking of the pro European parties in the Czech elections being seen in Prague?

In Prague? Well in this house, the citizen with the vote- my wife- is extremely pissed off.
    In Prague 6 where we live, much the same, as ANO only got 15% on a turnout far higher than national average. And across Prague, they got 20% compared to the national figure of 30%. Does this start to sound familiar?
    However the EU hardly registers as an issue, and Babis cannot be seen as a straightforward populist, even if I despise him almost as much as I do Farage and Johnson.

If I were you, I would go back to not worrying about a faraway country of which you know little ( to quote that pathetic twat Neville Chamberlain)

Which is why I asked.

Wasn't even aware there was a vote in the Czech Republic, which is surprising as the recent other EU votes have been well 'advertised' in the U.K. Media.

Thanks for educating me though with your deep and comprehensive coverage of an election in a country where you live.

Surprised about the Chamberlain reference. Is Merkel eyeing up the Sudetenland then?

• Options

Addickted said:

Now I'm confused.

So it's not post vote as Osborne along with others suggested? Is it after the triggering of Article 50 or after we've actually left?

I still don't get this 'bottom of the EU' in relation to growth. It fluctuates year on year and I would expect the smaller EU economies to show significant growth now they benefit from their EU membership.

I really do see the disadvantages to leaving the EU, but I'm determined to try and be positive about it. I'm surprised so many on here seem to revel in our nations failings rather than celebrate the successes.

You mean we must make more optimistic forecasts about poor economic numbers. Where have I heard that before.

Otherwise we're traitors.

It's the ignoring of strong economic numbers to highlight perceived poor areas that annoys me. It's about balance.

Not everything is rosy in the garden, as I am well aware of, particularly as they are repeatedly shouted from the rooftops by the same half dozen people on this thread. None of whom ever seem to mention the positives since the vote.

It does seem as if you are desperate for Brexit to fail just so you can say "I told you so".

Traitors? Not sure where you get that from. But feel free to twist any posts from any poster who challenges the negativity.

• Options

@Addickted

Well I was at the wrong end of a good bottle of wine, so apologies for my tone at the end, but it seemed to me that you were trying to suggest that the Czech general election was all about the EU. It was not. As for why it has not been covered in the U K media, the answer lies in the insular nature of the U.K. Media and its customers. It has been covered in organs such as the FT and the Guardian.

The issues with Babis are mainly that he is an ex StB spy, has passed tax laws which benefit his huge company Agrofert, is accused of misusing EU funds to the benefit of Agrofert, and has bought various media outlets to assist his political messaging. He looks like a dangerous autocrat. Against that, under his watch as Finance Minister, the economy is roaring as it has not for many years, and as an outsider i think his principled opponents su,ch as my wife may have ignored that old trope "it's the economy, stupid".

The anti EU nationalist is not Babis. In a " couldn't make it up" element, it is a party led by a Czech- Japanese half caste with the very Czech name of Tomio Okamura. He has two brothers, one of whom is in politics ina mainstream moderate party, and they tell the world that Tomio was the not very bright one in the family. Russian propaganda sites are active here in plain sight, and were backing him. He got 10%, so less than the AfD, and just behind the Czech Pirate party which appeals to younger progressive people ( my wife thought hard about voting for them but was concerned about their maturity for actual government).

If you or anyone is really interested I can post an excellent summary of the scene for foreigners, in english, by a Czech journalist who writes for a leading daily.

Would be very interested in the post Prague.
  • Options

@Addickted

Well I was at the wrong end of a good bottle of wine, so apologies for my tone at the end, but it seemed to me that you were trying to suggest that the Czech general election was all about the EU. It was not. As for why it has not been covered in the U K media, the answer lies in the insular nature of the U.K. Media and its customers. It has been covered in organs such as the FT and the Guardian.

The issues with Babis are mainly that he is an ex StB spy, has passed tax laws which benefit his huge company Agrofert, is accused of misusing EU funds to the benefit of Agrofert, and has bought various media outlets to assist his political messaging. He looks like a dangerous autocrat. Against that, under his watch as Finance Minister, the economy is roaring as it has not for many years, and as an outsider i think his principled opponents su,ch as my wife may have ignored that old trope "it's the economy, stupid".

The anti EU nationalist is not Babis. In a " couldn't make it up" element, it is a party led by a Czech- Japanese half caste with the very Czech name of Tomio Okamura. He has two brothers, one of whom is in politics ina mainstream moderate party, and they tell the world that Tomio was the not very bright one in the family. Russian propaganda sites are active here in plain sight, and were backing him. He got 10%, so less than the AfD, and just behind the Czech Pirate party which appeals to younger progressive people ( my wife thought hard about voting for them but was concerned about their maturity for actual government).

If you or anyone is really interested I can post an excellent summary of the scene for foreigners, in english, by a Czech journalist who writes for a leading daily.

Here you go John. Thank you for your interest.

• Options
    Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Now I'm confused.

So it's not post vote as Osborne along with others suggested? Is it after the triggering of Article 50 or after we've actually left?

I still don't get this 'bottom of the EU' in relation to growth. It fluctuates year on year and I would expect the smaller EU economies to show significant growth now they benefit from their EU membership.

I really do see the disadvantages to leaving the EU, but I'm determined to try and be positive about it. I'm surprised so many on here seem to revel in our nations failings rather than celebrate the successes.

You mean we must make more optimistic forecasts about poor economic numbers. Where have I heard that before.

Otherwise we're traitors.

It's the ignoring of strong economic numbers to highlight perceived poor areas that annoys me. It's about balance.

Not everything is rosy in the garden, as I am well aware of, particularly as they are repeatedly shouted from the rooftops by the same half dozen people on this thread. None of whom ever seem to mention the positives since the vote.

It does seem as if you are desperate for Brexit to fail just so you can say "I told you so".

Traitors? Not sure where you get that from. But feel free to twist any posts from any poster who challenges the negativity.

What are they, then? Really, I am just asking what you are referring to, because when it comes to the hard economic data I cannot think of one which indicates an improving situation since the referendum. All the key parameters we might use seem to be pointing downwards whereas in EU neighbours they are pointing upwards; which is in recent years unusual, the UK normally trends in step with its biggest trading partner.

The Q3 GDP figures should be out next week. As @seriously_red , whom God preserve, has pointed out, you better brace yourselves...

• Sponsored links:

• Options

@Addickted

Here you go John. Thank you for your interest.

Thanks Prague a very interesting read.
    Unpredictable times for Europe as a whole.
  • Options
    Just from a selfish personal perspective, what will be the benefits of Brexit for me?
  • Options

Just from a selfish personal perspective, what will be the benefits of Brexit for me?

You'll get your sovereignty back.

I could see you desperately looking for it, when the Eurostar entered the tunnel on our way to Sint-Truiden.

• Options
    edited October 2017

Straight bananas
    Lol. It's at the difficult times that we face ahead we should remind ourselves of just how important straight bananas are to some voters...

"https://youtu.be/eXk7MxR5seI"
  • Options
    Surely she was being super ironic and holding up a 'mirror' to leave voters.
  • Options

She doesn't have a very ironic face.

• Options

She doesn't have a very ironic face.

Clearly a master at irony, reminded me of a young Maggie Smith.
  • Options

Straight bananas
    Lol. It's at difficult times that we face ahead we should remind ourselves of just how important straight bananas are to some voters...

"https://youtu.be/eXk7MxR5seI"
    Good for her ... highlighting the actual problems instead of all this nonsense about money and borders ... about time real issues were discussed.

:wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well that's a relief https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/22/uk-emigrants-spain-no-deal-brexit-eu

Thank goodness the government (of Spain) were able to make this fantastic offer which will put a lot of minds at rest.
  • Options
    Something this country should have done months ago. I'm not surprised that our leaders only consider people as bargaining chips though. Shameful.
  • Options
    You hear the Brexiteers saying that the vote was "democracy". It's certainly not democracy when they refuse to listen to those in favour of remaining and just blank them out. And worse say they have no sympathy for the losers. Some of them are worse than the nazis.
  • Options

You hear the Brexiteers saying that the vote was "democracy". It's certainly not democracy when they refuse to listen to those in favour of remaining and just blank them out. And worse say they have no sympathy for the losers. Some of them are worse than the nazis.

Do I smell the sweet stench of dreadful satire?
  • Options

Is nazi your favourite word?
  • Options

You do know what the Nazis did, don’t you?
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

With the ease he throws the word around, I'd guess not.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

stonemuse said:

With the ease he throws the word around, I'd guess not.
    Interesting that the description 'Nazi' is so appropriate to recent governments of our so called European allies .. Germany (the real Nazis), France (Vichy), Italy (Mussolini), Spain (Franco), Portugal (Salazar), Austria (Nazi) as well as Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria which have all endured extreme nationalist followed by so called 'communist' regimes ..
    there is VERY little history of democracy outside northern Europe .. Bonaparte, a mass murderer and empire builder is still a French hero ..
    and of course he who uses the insult 'nazi' to his opponent in an argument must be regarded as the loser .. an insult thrown by one who has little knowledge or ability to debate ..
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!