Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Callum Harriot to Reading - CONFIRMED

Comments

• Options
    Harriott wanted to go. Why are people saying it's an awful decision to sell?
  • Options
    Prob pleased to get away from the boo boys!
  • Options

That old gem, Powell cost us the FA Cup Semi-Final.. he got us into it, too....

Certainly did. That sort of thing is conveniently forgotten.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Prob pleased to get away from the boo boys!

Probably pleased, same for Nick Pope I would imagine. Once Morgan goes, the boo boys will have their hat trick.
    Then it will be, we haven'tgot any players!.
  • Options
    Sorry I forgot, they are still working on RJ..
  • Options
    http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/reading-fc-transfers-yann-kermorgants-11710844

“I was at Charlton for 14 years, I came through the academy but now it’s time for me to start my career properly"
  • Options

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/reading-fc-transfers-yann-kermorgants-11710844

“I was at Charlton for 14 years, I came through the academy but now it’s time for me to start my career properly"

LOL.
    Do you think he meant it to come out like that? That's hilarious.

"Years and years of Academy training wasted. I'm Mrs. Nesbit"
  • Options
    There you go. Good luck Hariott in your proper career.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

LOL.
    Do you think he meant it to come out like that? That's hilarious.

"Years and years of Academy training wasted. I'm Mrs. Nesbit"
    What a little prick. Good riddance in that case.
  • Options

Why sell him the day before the season starts? We've had since mid March to sort out the squad and it's still seriously lacking.

This is the issue. Smacks of incompetence. Quelle surprise.
  • Options
    Stam will be sacked by November. ;)
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

vff said:

IMO. We have had a number of young players who could have done a job in League one - Pope & Harriot being examples. Unless in the unlikely case that there is someone coming in to replace, this move makes no footballing sense to me.

Lol, Pope to Burnley, Harriott to Reading make no footballing sense? Teams in divisions above us bid for our players, two players who aren't universally liked, and you question the footballing sense in it. The players want a move to a higher division, we want them off the wage bill, and have already replaced Pope with a better keeper on a year long loan, and I have no doubt we will do similar with Harriott
    "...have no doubt...". Really? I hope someone better than Harriott comes in but I certainly have a lot of doubt that it will happen.
  • Options
    “At this stage of my career, I feel like it is the right time for a change but I would like to wish Charlton the best for the future and hope that the club can bounce back to the Championship at the first time of asking.”

It never ceases to amaze me how a player, when leaving a "sinking ship" can, seemingly, say all the right things and in such an eloquent manner too. In fact, it could have been written by the Captain of this particular Titanic it's that good.
  • Options
    Prick.

That skill he did against Hudders (?) at home, fell over and went off injured.

Laters Cally.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Why sell him the day before the season starts? We've had since mid March to sort out the squad and it's still seriously lacking.

I honestly think the Club was monitoring the revenues it received from ST sales and the sale, or rape & pillage, of our Championship squad and their subsequent replacement with League Two players and has-beens is inextricably linked to these revenues - or lack of them, more to the point.

The fans have apparently voted with their feet and as much as we would all like new ownership, we have, in the short term, shot ourselves in the foot by our actions.

Hopefully we will have a new owner but, realistically, the damage is likely to be longer term - we may well be given or offered 'our Charlton back' but, sadly, with the carcass stripped bare.
  • Options
    purdis said:

I honestly think the Club was monitoring the revenues it received from ST sales and the sale, or rape & pillage, of our Championship squad and their subsequent replacement with League Two players and has-beens is inextricably linked to these revenues - or lack of them, more to the point.

The fans have apparently voted with their feet and as much as we would all like new ownership, we have, in the short term, shot ourselves in the foot by our actions.

Hopefully we will have a new owner but, realistically, the damage is likely to be longer term - we may well be given or offered 'our Charlton back' but, sadly, with the carcass stripped bare.
    League 2 players? Really.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    purdis said:

Ah, the clouds lift! I've been scratching my head to work out how the hell we could fall so low so quickly. But it's actually all our own fault. Cheers for clearing that up. I feel so much better now.

I get the point you're making (although I disagree but each to their own). For my money, every single departure except Pope was utterly predictable.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2016
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

vff said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

boggzy said:

Squad is absolute bare bones now

Don't worry - there was a brilliant press conference yesterday where someone employed by Duchatelet and Meire was impressively making 'all the right noises'.

What could possibly go wrong?
    Wait till this lot hear the news i shared last night LOL MELTDOWN!
    What news was that then ? @C4FC4L1f3
    lets just say a few more players will be going soon.
    You need to be a bit less mysterious & say what you are going to say @C4FC4L1f3 . If it is a firm prediction about who's next on the sale list then lets hear it. You need to be specific or best not mention it.

it is not big news that Duchatelet will sell anyone in the squad that he can get a fee for without concern at how that may adversely affect the balance of the team (without adequate replacement being in place).

It would not be a surprise to see Teixera, Lookman & Fox go before the end of the window. Meire thinks that signings like McKennis from Kilmarnock are adequate replacements. Remember Polish Pete for Kermogant. Meire really knows nothing about football.
  • Options
    vff said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

vff said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

boggzy said:

Squad is absolute bare bones now

Don't worry - there was a brilliant press conference yesterday where someone employed by Duchatelet and Meire was impressively making 'all the right noises'.

What could possibly go wrong?
    Wait till this lot hear the news i shared last night LOL MELTDOWN!
    What news was that then ? @C4FC4L1f3
    lets just say a few more players will be going soon.
    You need to be a bit less mysterious & say what you are going to say @C4FC4L1f3 . If it is a firm prediction about who's next on the sale list then lets hear it. You need to be specific or best not mention it.

it is not big news that Duchatelet will sell anyone in the squad that he can get a fee for without concern at how that may adversely affect the balance of the team (without adequate replacement being in place).

It would not be a surprise to see Teixera, Lookman & Fox go before the end of the window. Meire thinks that signings like McKennis from Kilmarnock are adequate replacements. Remember Polish Pete for Kermogant. Meire really knows nothing about football.
    Texeira has been replaced by Pearce and a Fox substitute wouldn't be hard to find. I wouldn't object to Lookman going if it funded a couple more forwards
  • Options

“At this stage of my career, I feel like it is the right time for a change but I would like to wish Charlton the best for the future and hope that the club can bounce back to the Championship at the first time of asking.”

It never ceases to amaze me how a player, when leaving a "sinking ship" can, seemingly, say all the right things and in such an eloquent manner too. In fact, it could have been written by the Captain of this particular Titanic it's that good.

purdis said:

So what was the excuse last season? Or the season before that?

You have to be some kind of prize nugget to blame this on the fans.
    I stand by my comment but respect your views - just my opinion and I'm not claiming I've got it right.

This football Club is a business and survives or fails on business principles.

If, in a business, you lose several key people in your organisation then it can be very difficult to replace them - often, the success of the business comes from the chemistry of the management and team - the same as football.
    If, in a business, you lose a large chunk of turnover (ST sales, merchandising, bums on seats etc) then you have to cut costs to try and remain viable.

There was a point last season, before all the injuries, when even JJ commented that it was one of the best squads he'd ever played with.

So, RM & KM did make some huge mistakes, for sure, one main one being the inability to engage with the fans, but after the first five or six games we looked like play-off contenders, then, as I recall, the International break came and we got smashed with injuries. Players still have to be paid when they are injured and, in hindsight, our beloved leaders would surely concede that the squad was simply not big enough - not enough quality in reserve for when the sh*t hit the fan re injuries, which is the misfortune that occurred.
  • Options
    Doesn't seem available to bet on today as anytime goalscorer.

Not surprised, as it'd be like printing money!
  • Options
    Big fan of Leon cort as a bloke, would love him back at the valley in some capacity when these f*ckers are gone
  • Options
    vff said:

purdis said:

purdis said:

So what was the excuse last season? Or the season before that?

You have to be some kind of prize nugget to blame this on the fans.
    I stand by my comment but respect your views - just my opinion and I'm not claiming I've got it right.

This football Club is a business and survives or fails on business principles.

If, in a business, you lose several key people in your organisation then it can be very difficult to replace them - often, the success of the business comes from the chemistry of the management and team - the same as football.
    If, in a business, you lose a large chunk of turnover (ST sales, merchandising, bums on seats etc) then you have to cut costs to try and remain viable.

There was a point last season, before all the injuries, when even JJ commented that it was one of the best squads he'd ever played with.

So, RM & KM did make some huge mistakes, for sure, one main one being the inability to engage with the fans, but after the first five or six games we looked like play-off contenders, then, as I recall, the International break came and we got smashed with injuries. Players still have to be paid when they are injured and, in hindsight, our beloved leaders would surely concede that the squad was simply not big enough - not enough quality in reserve for when the sh*t hit the fan re injuries, which is the misfortune that occurred.
    With all due respect Purdis, that squad was incredibly thin, and you didn't have to be mystic meg to see that after a couple of injuries that everything was going to go pear shaped. Add in unproven players who had little history of competitive games behind them, in a very competitive championship, then it is even less of a surprise.

I would take JJs comments whilst sitting next to Meire & trying to be upbeat with a pinch of salt. Also our 'leaders' are not beloved far from it.

This season lessons regarding squad depth have again are demonstrated not to have been learnt. This pre season has been another slow moving shambles & more of the squad are likely to go. Injuries, suspensions, loss of form, longer recovery from injury are part & parcel of a normal season. Add in no extra investment to the backroom strategy to keep players injury free (similar to Leicester) & the thin squad looks again obviously short sighted & not good enough.

Lookman is great but is a young player & will be variable in form. It is not good for that player's development to have no back up. That if he is still at Charlton by the time the season starts.

The only possible thing that stops an utter shambles, is Slade pointing out to Duchatelet's clueless representative the reality of things. Even whilst that is going on, quality players are moved on, whilst Meire drags her feet (at Duchatlet's instruction) about modest squad replacements.

BTW, we didn't lose players, Charlton let them go. The budget has been consistently wasted & continues to be so, how much of those loan wages are Charlton still paying for ? The relegation & reduction in budget is entirely down to Duchatelet's flawed strategy & general incompetence in implementation. Duchatelet needs to go & take Meire with him.

I am hoping that this will be in Christmas / Jan 17.
    Well articulated, VFF and you make some very good points.

Would just like to add that we were certainly unlucky with the number of long term injuries we sustained over a short space of time, unlucky wth Igor never recovering his mojo and Tony Watt could have made the difference if his head were in the right place - seems like he'll be a lifelong handful for any Manager who is deluded enough to believe he can get those enviable talents to manifest themselves on a regular and team-oriented basis.

By losing players I also was referring to injuries.

The term, 'Beloved leaders' was used ironically.

Other than that, well said, sir!