Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Callum Harriot to Reading - CONFIRMED

Comments

• mistake but only to be expected under this lot .....

I wish him well
  • rikofold said:

Genuinely disappointed by this, but having chatted to him at the POTY do it was inevitable. Whereas some players were 'wait and see', Harriott was done with the club even then. It's the regime's fault, and he would have been a key player this year - but I wish him well, albeit ruefully.

That is infuriating, if not expected. This is a player who has been with us since he was a boy, came through the academy, is hard working and seems like a decent young man. He has pace, a good touch, and underrated vision. I think a bit of coaching, 1-on-1 work would have really seen him step things up a level. But instead he's out the door.

Saw him up front with Igor a couple times the year before last. I absolutely understand some of the frustration with him, but there's definitely a player in there. The fact that Ipswich, Reading, and potentially others are after him shows that clubs above us think so too.
  • He probably got fed up of you lot forgetting the extra 't' on his last name!

But nah, he seems an alright bloke really, I met him once and you can't really hate him for jumping ship in the circumstances, it's all been going on behind the scenes for a few weeks now, Millwall and Reading have been in a bit of a bidding war, I'm just glad he didn't go to Millwall!
  • Good luck Callymessi at Reading!
  • In awe at this masterclass of running a successful football club...
  • In awe at this masterclass of running a successful football club...
  • vffvff
    edited August 2016

Poor decision unless we bring in someone better.

What chance of that ? Everything must be sold & replaced with someone on cheaper wages & mostly not quite so good.
  • IMO. We have had a number of young players who could have done a job in League one - Pope & Harriot being examples. Unless in the unlikely case that there is someone coming in to replace, this move makes no footballing sense to me.
  • vff said:

IMO. We have had a number of young players who could have done a job in League one - Pope & Harriot being examples. Unless in the unlikely case that there is someone coming in to replace, this move makes no footballing sense to me.

Agree, although from the sounds of things, both wanted to leave given the offers they had. Even a very, very well run club would struggle with to keep players in that situation.

That said, it's the fault of the club that we put these players in positions where they wanted to leave.
  • He probably got fed up of you lot forgetting the extra 't' on his last name!

But nah, he seems an alright bloke really, I met him once and you can't really hate him for jumping ship in the circumstances, it's all been going on behind the scenes for a few weeks now, Millwall and Reading have been in a bit of a bidding war, I'm just glad he didn't go to Millwall!

I double checked, and it is spelled Harriott
  • Sponsored links:

• vff said:

IMO. We have had a number of young players who could have done a job in League one - Pope & Harriot being examples. Unless in the unlikely case that there is someone coming in to replace, this move makes no footballing sense to me.

Lol, Pope to Burnley, Harriott to Reading make no footballing sense? Teams in divisions above us bid for our players, two players who aren't universally liked, and you question the footballing sense in it. The players want a move to a higher division, we want them off the wage bill, and have already replaced Pope with a better keeper on a year long loan, and I have no doubt we will do similar with Harriott
  • I thought he would do a job in this division.
  • Think he would have done ok when called upon in league one but there are far too many people here giving him far too much credit just because he was "one of ours". If we had got a player like Callum in on loan eg Reid then he would be getting pelters. He's a league one player that deserves a shot at getting his career back on the up. He's never shown enough while in a Charlton shirt to be getting this level of wrist slitting.

Good luck Callum.
  • edited August 2016
    How's this bad? He was never a regular and in my honest opinion crap! He couldn't trap a rabbit let alone a football. He was the only person who could tackle himself. Yes he was one of us but he has never fulfilled what he could have been. He wouldn't have been a star this year either like everyone says as he is and always was to comfortable at Charlton. He scored two terrific goals one of which I'll always be thankful for. So good luck Callum Harriott!
  • sam3110 said:

vff said:

Lol, Pope to Burnley, Harriott to Reading make no footballing sense? Teams in divisions above us bid for our players, two players who aren't universally liked, and you question the footballing sense in it. The players want a move to a higher division, we want them off the wage bill, and have already replaced Pope with a better keeper on a year long loan, and I have no doubt we will do similar with Harriott
    Why would we replace Harriott with a better keeper on a year long loan???? :wink:
  • Good luck Callymessi at Reading! Why are some peeps slagging him off! !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Good luck Callum. A typical frustrating winger. He had his moments but blew cold more often than hot. As DP says we should be able to get a better player in to replace him.
  • Very good news for him.
    More bad news for us.
    Good luck to him.
    Just Solly to offload now and that's just about job done in terms of the destruction of a half decent football team.
  • Yes, I liked him in the championship as a sub more than a full game player, I thought he wasn't quite ready for that, but in a year or two he could be a good championship player.

Good luck to him.
  • I'm wondering where this stops. A bad start to the season, problems creating chances, no goals, more boring football, angry fans, more disenchanted players who want to get out, less chance of recruiting decent players. This downward spiral seems to be feeding on itself. Players like Pope, Harriott, Henderson, I had hoped might be persuaded by a new manager like Slade, to give it another season. That hasn't been the case, despite all the noises about the club being a much happier place, players still cannot wait to escape. Our squad is now dangerously thin and deficient in so many areas.
  • Squad is absolute bare bones now
  • It's not so much a squad as a nearly full first team with some young players in it and last year's u21 on the bench.
  • Roland's wet dream, players you were paying anyway taking places you would otherwise have to pay some else to do.

I reckon Katrien and Tony should serve behind the bar at crossbars this season to save on bar staff, they aren't doing anything else useful in that time. They can be paid bar staff wages.

It would help improve their understanding and communication with the fan base.

The normal bar staff can trial as CEO and COO but on their current wage. If they do better than Katrien and Tony they can keep the jobs.

Other than the service at bar getting much worse, is there a flaw in this plan?
  • Not particularly bothered about him going. Although I do think he had something to offer at this level.

I hope that we have a replacement lined up. We're short on wide players.