Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wilder close (DEAL OFF - page 31)

edited May 2016 in General Charlton
Charlton Athletic are close to appointing Chris Wilder as their new manager, talkSPORT understands.

Jose Riga resigned as the Addicks' boss on Saturday having been unable to prevent them from being relegated to League One.

The south London club have been prepared for his departure for a number of weeks and Northampton's Wilder is their number one choice to replace Riga.

talkSPORT can reveal an approach was made for the 48-year-old last week and Wilder travelled to Belgium to talk to Charlton’s beleaguered owner Roland Duchatelet.

Duchatelet has been lambasted for his running of the club since completing his takeover in January 2014 but is refusing calls to sell up and and hopes the appointment of a British boss will go some way to appeasing fans.

Wilder has enjoyed an outstanding spell at Northampton, taking them from the brink of relegation to the Conference to League Two champions, and is highly regarded in the game.

He had reservations about taking over at The Valley given the growing unrest among supporters and Duchatelet's penchant for sacking managers – he has seen off FIVE bosses in two-and-a-half years.

But Wilder has been assured by the Belgian billionaire he will be given time to put his stamp on the club and, crucially, he has been told he will have full control over transfers.
And he is ready to leave Northampton to take on the challenge of reviving the former Premier League side, with Charlton hopeful of agreeing a compensation package with the Cobblers early this week.

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/charlton-athletic-hopeful-appointing-northampton-towns-chris-wilder-their-new-manager#6oHE1frOCBwXUtTv.99

Comments

• Got to believe that IF Wilder comes he really will have the veto over transfers - no way would he willing to make the switch otherwise. So if it happens it's doubly good - a manager on the up & with the appropriate control

(whereas if, say, we'd appointed Cotterill or Friedman you'd suspect they'd be willing to take RD's terms just to get back in the game)
  • Full charge over transfers is pointless if RD tells you who can play and who can't.
    Ask Chris Powell.
  • Is Wilder aware they lie?

If not, he'll find out before the first match kicks off next season and we'll be looking for our 8th manager under this regime.
  • Sponsored links:

• Plus since when has Roly been a billionaire? Last week he 500 million.
  • The only way RD will let go of control over transfers is if he is taking the pragmatic approach to his exit route and getting (some of) his money back when he sells, namely getting back to the Championship.
  • Maybe Roland has learnt from his mistakes.

Even the Liar and Cahones can't hide relegation and the massive drop in income from him.

Wilder would be a good and logical choice and if he is coming I hope he comes in soon.

Won't be there to see it (at the Valley at least) but I still want the team to win if for no other reason that promotion might make it more likely that Roland and his stooges depart.

But as SHG reminds us when it's on the OS
  • Sponsored links:

• It might make the trip to sixfields interesting next season.
  • colin1961 said:

Charlton Athletic are close to appointing Chris Wilder as their new manager, talkSPORT understands.

Jose Riga resigned as the Addicks' boss on Saturday having been unable to prevent them from being relegated to League One.

The south London club have been prepared for his departure for a number of weeks and Northampton's Wilder is their number one choice to replace Riga.

talkSPORT can reveal an approach was made for the 48-year-old last week and Wilder travelled to Belgium to talk to Charlton’s beleaguered owner Roland Duchatelet.

Duchatelet has been lambasted for his running of the club since completing his takeover in January 2014 but is refusing calls to sell up and and hopes the appointment of a British boss will go some way to appeasing fans.

Wilder has enjoyed an outstanding spell at Northampton, taking them from the brink of relegation to the Conference to League Two champions, and is highly regarded in the game.

He had reservations about taking over at The Valley given the growing unrest among supporters and Duchatelet's penchant for sacking managers – he has seen off FIVE bosses in two-and-a-half years.

But Wilder has been assured by the Belgian billionaire he will be given time to put his stamp on the club and, crucially, he has been told he will have full control over transfers.
    And he is ready to leave Northampton to take on the challenge of reviving the former Premier League side, with Charlton hopeful of agreeing a compensation package with the Cobblers early this week.

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/charlton-athletic-hopeful-appointing-northampton-towns-chris-wilder-their-new-manager#6oHE1frOCBwXUtTv.99

You've really let yourself down again Colin. You're not meant to post things like this until he's been in the job for 5 days. It's not a scoop otherwise...
  • I honestly don't understand why an English manager would take the role. I just hope he negotiates a big pay off clause in his contract.

That Said under a new owner wilder is the kind of guy that i'd like to see in charge.
  • edited May 2016
    I think @Large might have this one nailed - unfortunately.
  • 1st spell at the cub he was involved in 1 game. 2nd spell 2. So this time it's either going to be 0 or 3. My money is on the latter.
  • 25May98 said:

I feel sorry for Northampton fans. Just been promoted and then lose your manager.

I love Charlton but is it just me that thinks football is shit these days?

This. 100%
  • All great if true. But deep down, my honest view is that if he signs, he'll probably walk before the new season kicks off.