Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Gomez rumours (ed. Signed for Liverpool)

Apologies if posted elsewhere but quite a few news segments on Gomez interest. All quite different and just rumours ,but looks like Liverpool and Arsenal are keen. Liverpool sounds more likely based on players at Arsenal? Good business? Or statement of intent/ lack of?

Comments

• Options
    think it may have been mentioned on the Rumours thread
  • Options
    http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/67593/charlton-rumours-rumours-rumours-the-big-kahuna#latest

Can I politely point you to the above thread before the "Thanks Colin" et al remarks flood in : - )
  • Options
    Thanks Henry
  • Options

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/67593/charlton-rumours-rumours-rumours-the-big-kahuna#latest

Can I politely point you to the above thread before the "Thanks Colin" et al remarks flood in : - )

Bloody admin.
  • Options
    thanks for posting, too lazy to wade through that behemoth
  • Options
    Oh no. This has come as a real shock. I'm stunned.
  • Options
    Have put this on rumour thread, but this thread is shorter and may interest those just wanting to know about Joe

Charlton could recoup £10m from Joe Gomez transfer
    Monday, 15 June 2015

By Richard Cawley
    JOE Gomez's transfer from Charlton could eventually be worth £10million.

And reports emanating from Merseyside that Liverpool had agreed a deal of £3.5m for the 18-year-old defender are wide of the mark.

The South London Press has been told that Gomez will leave the Addicks but that no deal has been finalised yet.

And any initial deal will be for at least £5m - which could be pushed up to £6m.

But there are also a number of add-ons which mean any deal for Gomez will come in at around £10m.

The youngster has previously snubbed interest from England's top clubs to sign a professional deal with Charlton. And now he is set to seal them a sizeable fee, despite playing just one season at first-team level.
  • Options
    This definitely deserves a thread of its own.

If he goes this summer, and there is no loan-back, then in my opinion it is a very poor business decision. If he were to continue with us another season and make a similar level of progress he would be worth double those figures by this time next year. As can be seen by the ludicrous sums already being paid across the FAPL as a result of the latest influx of money.

In other fan channels I can already see rumblings about the implications for Valley Gold, if this goes ahead.
  • Options

If he goes this summer, and there is no loan-back, then in my opinion it is a very poor business decision. If he were to continue with us another season and make a similar level of progress he would be worth double those figures by this time next year. As can be seen by the ludicrous sums already being paid across the FAPL as a result of the latest influx of money.
    In other fan channels I can already see rumblings about the implications for Valley Gold, if this goes ahead.

add to the fact that teams need to get their home grown quota up, quality English youngsters are at a premium!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't believe a defender from the championship would command more than 6-8 million, unless it was a goal-scoring one like Bale was at that stage
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

I don't believe a defender from the championship would command more than 6-8 million, unless it was a goal-scoring one like Bale was at that stage

I didn't believe a 33 year old keeper who isn't first choice would command £11m either, but he does now, apparently.

• Options
    Did i read somewhere that if Gomez signs, Liverpool will then sell Sebastian Coates (an international defender) to Sunderland, where he was on loan, last season, for £4million
  • Options

valley gold is there to support talented young footballers, not as a garunteed "we're gonna fill the first team up with homegrown players". If you think the latter then tbh you've got into it for the wrong reasons.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Did i read somewhere that if Gomez signs, Liverpool will then sell Sebastian Coates (an international defender) to Sunderland, where he was on loan, last season, for £4million

Pretty good business, chop an overpaid defender off the wage bill, pocket perhaps half enough to sign one of the most talented young English defenders about on a much smaller wage and wean him in. Would be the the first piece of good business LFC have done in a fair wee while.
  • Options

valley gold is there to support talented young footballers, not as a garunteed "we're gonna fill the first team up with homegrown players". If you think the latter then tbh you've got into it for the wrong reasons.
    Well I don't think your definition of VG role is accurate, and certainly your supposition of why I got into it, 26 years ago, isn't, but I was at this stage merely reporting how others are reacting, if indeed this comes to pass.

A loan back could make all the difference. As it did for Zaha and Palace.

• Options
    I can't remember a time when we wasn't a selling club, and I can't envisage a time when we won't be. So from that point of view any sale rumours reagarding Joe or anyone else will get a big 'c'est la vie' from me.
  • Options
    What team is not a selling club, if the player wants to go, look at Arsenal over the last few years, they have lost a few players to other clubs, that I am sure they would have like to keep
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "My other, and more immediate, concern - does commanding a good price for Gomez actually make any difference at all to our player budget this summer?"

We will never know the answer to this question....just as we don't know what the spend budget is now, or might be should we sell any of Gomez, JMG, and Cousins!
  • Options
    Thing is we have always been a selling club so no surprise there but I have two concerns. Firstly Gomez wasn't even a regular for us last year and depite his obvious qualities woiuldn't his career be best served getting a solid season in the Chempionship under his belt first? My second concern is where does that leave us? If we keep selling our best players how do we progress? Whether it's good business or not I am finding this s tad depressing to be honest.
  • Options
    Stig said:

I can't remember a time when we wasn't a selling club, and I can't envisage a time when we won't be. So from that point of view any sale rumours reagarding Joe or anyone else will get a big 'c'est la vie' from me.

You just hope that, with a billionaire owner, and admin not round the corner, we might be 'smart' sellers. Like Palace became.

• Options

Let me start by saying that I'd love to see Gomez ( and Gudmundsson and Bulot) in a Charlton shirt next season.
    However to judge a possible sale without a loan as a very poor business decision" is wide of the mark in my opinion.
    Firstly Poyet went for next to nothing last summer due to being out of contract whereas Joe was convinced to sign one.

Now Joe is not just any old academy product for he is an England u19 player as well as putting in some convincing performances for us last time around. He and his advisory team will have known his value and, as per a comment on the rumours thread it occurs to me that a condition of him signing for us is a release clause for £xm so as to ensure he retains control of his career.

In the last 18 months our club has been transformed from one losing £7-8m operating losses and £2m of transfer sales and an aging squad into a club with similar losses but holding the registrations of five players who could all command fees of between £2-5m.

Basically sell two and we could break even meaning net losses of zero over five years and not the £50m which a typical championship club might experience.

This has been executed by jettisoning the 2012-14 squad and recruiting the likes of Watt, Vetokele, Gomez and Gudmundsson all of whom could grace a top eight Championship club and possibly the FAPL ?

Of course we all want to see the best team possible in our shirts come August. But I also want our club to follow a sustainable strategy with continuous improvement at the heart.

There is a view that we should keep our best players. Always. But I sense that for our club to attract better players we have to be in partnership with them and enable them to maximize their earnings from the game even if they leave us before we make it to the FAPL.

Looking at the recruitment for us and Liege last summer I sense they can land decent players. And therefore I hope they can max the fee for Gomez as well as help him find the right club. This to help us financially but also to show we are in partnership - that Joe has made better choices than either Kasey Palmer or Diego Poyet.
  • Options

@seriously_red

The issue is not just Gomez per se. It is the overall strength of our squad at centre -back. Well it's not strong at all, is it? Money will need to be spent there, that's for sure. I bet Gomez is on a whole lot less than either TBH or Bikey are/were, too so there is an effect on the wage as wells the transfer account.

That is why a loan back would make a whole world of difference. Before you factor in the effect on season ticket sales, Valley Gold etc.

So I'll stand by my viewpoint.

I also think a loan back deal must be a pre-condition. Joe was happy to accept the need for phased in exposure to the first team, I can't believe he's gagging for first team premiership time, cos he knows it won't happen.

Would Liverpool or Arsenal loan him out to Hull or Stoke? No he would be loaned to a Championship team and why wouldn't that be CAFC. He will want to be happy with how his new club are going to give him the experience he needs before stepping up to compete in the premiership. So can't see him going anywhere that doesn't involve a loan back negotiated in advance. If it's not CAFC I can only believe that's Joe's choice, not the buying club's decision.
  • Options
    Playing devil's advocate here .. forget the emotions that Cousins and Gomez are 'ones of our own' .. IF they were both sold for (say) around £9/10 million, that would buy us five or six hardened, talented, experienced, proven championship players and could be the start of a very successful era for the club. I think we know that the owner is not going to splash too much of his own/network money on new players, but he will probably loosen the purse strings if a BIG sum was forthcoming from player sales
  • Options

Playing devil's advocate here .. forget the emotions that Cousins and Gomez are 'ones of our own' .. IF they were both sold for (say) around £9/10 million, that would buy us five or six hardened, talented, experienced, proven championship players and could be the start of a very successful era for the club. I think we know that the owner is not going to splash too much of his own/network money on new players, but he will probably loosen the purse strings if a BIG sum was forthcoming from player sales

We all know Roly doesn't go down that road!