Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Gomez rumours (ed. Signed for Liverpool)

Comments

• Options
    Weird - is this the first time we're hearing about this release clause ?
  • Options
    First time it's come up today - Obviously Cawley wasn't aware of it when he was getting our hopes up with talk of an initial £5-6m earlier in the week.
  • Options
    Just because there's a release clause @£3.5m doesn't mean that's the price he's going for. Liverpool will be aware that there will be plenty of takers at that lower price, and may have agreed to a bigger number in order to avoid a bidding war. Let's see how this plays out (though it may be years before we ever know what we really get/got)
  • Options
    but there is no bidding war if they have triggered the release clause and Joe wants to go there. makes no difference then what other offers there are and how high etc.
  • Options
    tricky said:

First time it's come up today - Obviously Cawley wasn't aware of it when he was getting our hopes up with talk of an initial £5-6m earlier in the week.

Or - just being devils advocate- it's all we could get for him so is a convenient way to keep Charlton fans from kicking off that we didn't get the £10-12m that some were hoping for.
  • Options

can't believe yet another player didn't want to give all their value to our club
    these agents are shrewd hence we get minimum for a decent player

Not surprising really
  • Options

but there is no bidding war if they have triggered the release clause and Joe wants to go there. makes no difference then what other offers there are and how high etc.

depends if there's somewhere else he may want to go?
  • Options
    Someone at the club (KM or RM) need to confirm if it's true about the release clause. That is stupidly low.
  • Options
    Or there isn't a release clause at all and The Mirror just got it wrong
  • Options

Someone at the club (KM or RM) need to confirm if it's true about the release clause. That is stupidly low.

Did he sign his most recent contract under this regime or the one before it ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just because there's a release clause @£3.5m doesn't mean that's the price he's going for. Liverpool will be aware that there will be plenty of takers at that lower price, and may have agreed to a bigger number in order to avoid a bidding war. Let's see how this plays out (though it may be years before we ever know what we really get/got)

presumably a release clause states that any bid of or more than the agreed figure in the clause will mean that the player can move should he decide to do so.
    If, for example, Liverpool bid 3.5 mllion and Southampton 5 million, Gomez can choose either club. CAFC however cannot hold out for the larger amount bid by Southampton because Liverpool have bid the amount agreed in the release clause.
    But it all depends on the actual wording of the clause in the contract

• Options
    se9addick said:

Did he sign his most recent contract under this regime or the one before it ?
    October last year, so this regime.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29522092
  • Options

Large answered that on the previous page TRR:

"maybe it was the best we could get him to agree to. If we had insisted on say 6m then he may not have signed his last contract."
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Playing devil's advocate here .. forget the emotions that Cousins and Gomez are 'ones of our own' .. IF they were both sold for (say) around £9/10 million, that would buy us five or six hardened, talented, experienced, proven championship players and could be the start of a very successful era for the club. I think we know that the owner is not going to splash too much of his own/network money on new players, but he will probably loosen the purse strings if a BIG sum was forthcoming from player sales

We all know Roly doesn't go down that road!
    Really? Roger Johnson, Chris Eagles, Tal Ben Haim, add to that the quality of Tony Watt and JBG, and it kind of pisses on your fireworks.
    Also we had to wait until January before Johnson and Eagles arrived. Hopefully lessons have been learned, but anything seems to be possible
  • Options
    There is no bidding war past £3.5m, the clubs know Charlton have to accept at that price. What's the point bidding £5m now? It's a loss of £1.5m for zero gain.

The only bidding war now is what wages clubs will offer Gomez to join them.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Large answered that on the previous page TRR:

"maybe it was the best we could get him to agree to. If we had insisted on say 6m then he may not have signed his last contract."
    Shame if true. Bullied into a low release clause by a teenager and his agent.

Edit: 'Liverpool have triggered a release clause in the Charlton Athletic defender’s contract, which will enable them to sign him for an initial £3.5m which will likely rise to £6m on appearances.'

• Options
    instead the Club should have bullied a teenager and his Dad into agreeing a trigger clause that could have prevented him from a dream move. Pleese.
  • Options
    Why do we never hear of a "first refusal on a loan-back" clause? This would soften the blow a bit if it meant we had him back for a while rather than watching him being loaned to a rival. Whats the betting he gets loaned to Fulham or QPR?
  • Options
    Rich Cawley just tweeted that its untrue about the £3.5m as it would have been done and dusted by now.
  • Options

Rich Cawley just tweeted that its untrue about the £3.5m as it would have been done and dusted by now.

I really hope he's right.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    foxjam said:

I really hope he's right.
    I believe what he is saying.
  • Options
    Would we want him back on loan though? He's no longer ours. I'd rather give that space in the team to one of our own.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Would we want him back on loan though? He's no longer ours. I'd rather give that space in the team to one of our own.

We do need a centre back or two...and he's better than our other players.
  • Options
    We will not no how much he goes for it will be undisclosed fee like all transfers these days.i think he might be back on loan this time too.i hope he is for his sake to be honest.its best place for him next season. What's happened to the German CB rumours Patrick Beuaer.
  • Options

At the moment he is. We only have one other centre back! I'd rather us try and get permanent signings in first.
  • Options

At the moment he is. We only have one other centre back! I'd rather us try and get permanent signings in first.
    If you are meaning Bikey, he is on his way out, if you mean Gomez, say no more, that only leaves Lennon, if you know of any one else please tell
  • Options
    I'd like to see better than Bikey come in before we ship him out btw.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

If you are meaning Bikey, he is on his way out, if you mean Gomez, say no more, that only leaves Lennon, if you know of any one else please tell
    I meant Bikey yeah, but gather he is on his way out. I assume Bauer is coming in. We already needed at least two CBs before releasing Johnson and Ben Haim. Let's hope it's a busy summer for Charlton in terms of incomings.
  • Options

Why does someone at the club need to discuss with anyone the size of the release clause in any players contract other than the player and his representatives, why Is 3.5 Mil ridiculously low seems fine to me, remember the release clause is not the amount the player can be sold for, it's the amount of money that the club will allow you the buyer to enter in to negotiations to sign the player, Luís Suarez had a 40 Mil clause arsenal bid 40 Mil and a penny, yet the scousers wanted double that hence why he ain't a goonershite,

There's a lot of panic talk on here, Joe gomez could have left for fuck all but done the decent thing and signed, if the club had to place such things into the contract to get him to sign in the first place that's great advisory by his representive and savvy enough for the club to commit to it

Good to see you have your "Mr Sensible " Head on today, NLA

:smiley: