Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Gomez rumours (ed. Signed for Liverpool)

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2015

Why is undisclosed such an issue, if we are in need of replacing gomez surely it's better people don't know what we have to spend,

We have a youth system for this exact reason, create them and bed them in hopefully win promotion if we can get a good crop come through at the same time without spending money the club can't support without the owner funding out of his own pocket and to generate funds to build a squad to supplement any youth coming through

I've never seen "Undisclosed" as the club wanting the keep the information from the fans.

The way I see it, if we sell Joe Gomez for £10m, and try to buy a replacement, our ability to haggle with other clubs isnt going to be as strong because if we bid £500k for a Defender, their club could instantly turn round and say, no we want £2m for him, come on, we know you can afford it because you'll still have £8m left from the Gomez sale etc...
  • Options
    Exactly my point pal , it's no business of anyone how much we recieved, I am sure that when accounts are submitted it won't be too hard to work out the figure ,

I'd say the figure mentioned is not too far off the truth
  • Options

Exactly my point pal , it's no business of anyone how much we recieved, I am sure that when accounts are submitted it won't be too hard to work out the figure ,

I'd say the figure mentioned is not too far off the truth

Sorry mate... thought you didnt like Undisclosed deals and that you were saying that fees should always be disclosed
  • Options
    Total opposite pal , would rather every single transfer in or out was undisclosed, it's the quality of the player that's important,
  • Options
    Fans are entitled to discuss transfer fees. We're the ones who cough up after all.
  • Options

Fans are entitled to discuss transfer fees. We're the ones who cough up after all.

I see where you are coming from and we are certainly entitled to our opinions, but we don't have to foot the bill for the losses.
  • Options
    Maybe the club should close down Valley Gold then. I have been told I am helping to build the clubs future - in comms from the club. Gomez praised Valley Gold when he won his award. As a member, it should give me the right to make a comment when a young player is sold surely.
  • Options
    The point I am making is if anything gives you a right to comment, that must do.
  • Options
    No one is saying that it shouldn't be discussed or debated, or if it's right or if it's wrong though , I don't think any transfer fee should be disclosed as it just increases the price on who you want to get in as a replacement,

Doesn't make it the right view I could be totally wrong in that opinion and that as has been mentioned above, fans pay their money to support the club and as part of that commitment they deserve to know the ins and outs of every thing that happens within the club

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    No chance of keeping him now, he's got a YouTube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEAO20UxHnM
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Bowyer only played for us 46 times.

Gomez has played one more game for CAFC than Poyet.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

how tall is he?
  • Options

Scoham said:

how tall is he?
    Wikipedia has him at 188cm or 6'2''
  • Options
    Cawley says done deal. Medical tomorrow
  • Options
    My opinion mate is purely that not based on any info with regards to Joe gomez and what is happening with him and this move,

For me yes I support cafc over every player or manager, but I also feel that if I was signing Joe for a club or representing him in this move I would strongly advise him against being loaned back to any club that I had signed him from,

If we are to develop young players from the local area and be a club that these kids want to come to and their families wish to be the club of choice then we need to demonstrate not only great coaching and first team opportunity, but that we do not just see the child as a cash cow and only be interested in what we can get from it,

You yourself have raised a fair concern on the impact of West ham and the Olympic stadium and as a result I would feel that they will be seen even if more attractive for families whose kids have potential,

However for us to not lose numerous youngsters to them if we are seen as a club who can develop, look after and get into the first team when ready, and not stand in the way of their future development, by not putting obstacles in the way of any future moves with clauses and conditions that don't benefit all, and weigh heavily on one side

I am sure Joe wouldn't mind staying for another year, and there is nothing stopping him doing that by requesting to have a further 12 months extension to his current deal, he has not asked for that publicly or has it ever been rumoured, so words are very easily said to placate a situation or conversation

The biggest story of it all will be where the money goes once he is sold, and we may not find out the amount until accounts are filed but the information will come out in the end and we will either have a right to fell outrage or satisfied in the deal being beneficial to us in all ways

As for Zaha he didn't and couldn't settle, he was not half the player in training or stature in Manchester, how much of that was due to moyes and the leaving of fergie, will never really get out, but as a player he has not reached the heights he could by returning to the stripey mugs
  • Options
    So do we just guess if that's just another young player we have sold too cheap.
    Our track record is poor over the years, doesn't sound like we played hardball,
    so just bullshit that Arsenal and Man city were interested as well.
  • Options
    Or we have been true to our word and Joe true to his ensuring we didn't get palmer or Poyet ed again and got as much out of the situation as possible

• Options

So do we just guess if that's just another young player we have sold too cheap.
    Our track record is poor over the years, doesn't sound like we played hardball,
    so just bullshit that Arsenal and Man city were interested as well.

Why? He can only pick one club and the rumoured up front fee has been said to be anything from £3.5m to £6m.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    On the point about arsenal and Chelsea , what do they do with 99% of youngsters in the latter stages of development, they loan them out and a fair number head a distance away from their comfort zone, like I said in my post I expect to see Joe go on loan and I would guess that it will be a club closer to them than us and that is far enough to see if he is mature enough as a man and player to cope with that and the issues it brings with it,

With Parker we were a prem outfit so it was beneficial to him to stay here and with bowyer he came obscurity to first team after being released by George graham early in his career

Joe gomez has been the worst kept secret in youth football, he has had people sniffing since very young and is not comparible to any player we have had in the past with the exception of maybe defoe and we all know what happened there

• Options
    Agreed, NLA. I think the actions of player and club have been fine and the departure is a very amicable one.
  • Options

We certainly are entitled to discuss fees especially since that is one of the main objectives of this new owner. for several years now we have made £2M a year on player sales and now we have five players who might all fetch more than that.

I would point out that the club is also funded by TV Media deals, sponsors, loans from the owner* and player sales.

*loans from the owner are only ever repaid if he/they run the club successfully and can sell the club at a profit. Ask Simon jordan or his predecessor :)

The TV companies get their money back through advertising and subscriptions and they certainly have a big voice in the game - just look at FFP loss limits doubling because the FAPL and their backers wanted clubs to spend more. Even though FFP was starting to bite and, I believe, was making thedivision more competitive.

Unfortunately our contribution as fans is a smaller slice of the pie these days and I suspect there is an assumption that most of us will always show up come rain or shine. We can discuss matters about the club but I'm not sure the board and management are going to take us back to the 90s. Especially when I read some of the views and judgements made by some fans on here!

Bringing this back on topic, I welcome the fact that we were able to sign Joe Gomez up last year and that if he goes it helps the clubs finances. I want us to get better every window and think that selling the odd player doesn't stop progress. Some think I can find an upside or spin anything but the simple fact is our squad today is worth a lot more than 18 months ago.

If I have a worry it is not about Koc, Nego and the rest of the January 2014 "shipment". No, it's that Igor won't rediscover his form of the first 10-12 games of last season. That was a big wedge and he is probably on a sizeable contract. The irony is that if he does play well then bids will come in for him and they won't be £3.5M!

In summary I am resigned to us selling top players because that appears to be part of the plan to fund the club. And it may also be part of the recruitment strategy as NLA puts it so well: If we treat young players and European players well then more will come to us. More agents will deal with us - people may not be aware but Lepoint's agent also manages Bia at Liege and Jelle Vossen who rumour has it we tried to sign. As long as we can continue to recruit decent players like we did last summer then I really don't see the problem.

For sure some will be upset with the churn and question the ambition of the club, but if we can start our first game in August with a team which is better than Brentford away last time then it works for me.

• Options
    Any chance of him failing the medical...
  • Options
    Just thought it should be pointed out that spurs are signing Burnley's right back kieren trippier for £3.5 million. He is 24 (great age for a fb), has played in the championship for a few years and has had a very good season for burnley in the PL. Therefore if we are getting £3.5m for an 18yr old with 25 championship games to his name...i think we have done very well
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    If we can get between £3.5M and £6M for Gomez then I think it could be a great deal for the club.

Not because I think the fee is any good but because IF RD really has a policy based purely on bringing through kids to sell and turn a profit, then selling our best for 30 years for an amount that covers somewhere between 40% and 80% of our yearly loss surely shows this up to be the absolute fantasy that it is.

The only way to make an IRR in football is to get promotion, anything else and you are just pissing your money into a never ending hole.

Ps. Some of the digs against Poyet on here seem odd. What did he do differently to Gomez?