Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Diego Poyet's contract situation **DieGONE - Signs for West Ham)**

edited July 2014 in General Charlton
I read that apparently he is wanted by Barcelona, Inter, Spurs, Fulham and West Ham.

I really do hope we get him to sign a new deal as I do honestly believe he is better off staying with us for a couple of seasons so he can reach his full potential with us. So many young players have gone on to move to bigger clubs and it has not worked out for them as they think they can step in straight away when they clearly did not.

Comments

• Options
    Agree and would like to think that his dad would be telling him this. His dad knows that it is better to be playing regularly in the first team rather than being in the reserves of a team no matter how good the team as you quickly got forgotten.
    He will leave Charlton eventually just feel now is not the right time. He was patient and bided his time waiting to get into the first team so would like to think he will stay with us and devolp me.
  • Options
    Seems like a bright lad , i'm sure the club will do the right thing and make him an acceptable contract offer.....
  • Options
    I'm sure the club has already made an acceptable offer months ago, which he declined, no doubt guided by his dad.

He might stay, but I'm not expecting it.
  • Options
    He would be better of staying with us than joining Inter or Barca, really? Come on don't kid yourself.

That said, decent as he is, he is not that good so I don't buy the rumoured interest from those two, although stranger things have happened.

Would love to see him sign up to stay but the fact he has not done so yet suggests he will be on his way.

Losing him after losing that lad to Chelsea a year or so ago is miserable and it would be pretty depressing seeing our Golden generation' drifting off with little monetary recompense so let's hope the likes of Gomez, Edwards, Ahearne Grant etc sign when it is time to do so.
  • Options
    Without knowing what league we're gonna be in next season or who the manager will be i can't see him signing a contract anytime soon. And i don't blame him to be fair.
  • Options
    he's long gone trust me, we will offer him an improved contract so we are entitled to some Bosman money, but he will end up in a far higher class of football than us
  • Options
    Playing for Barcelona reserves is still a high level of football, they play in the league below barca and are usually very strong. Get access to world class facilities, coaches and rub shoulders with the greats, it's a no brainer.

What's even more alarming about these rumours is that clubs outside the UK are allowed to negotiate contracts and approach players directly within 6 months of their contract expiring. In the same country it's only 1 month I believe. Diego's probably had his head turned already.
  • Options
    Sheff utd sussed that out last week ...they let him wood and morrison mess about with it last week ...got us no where ...hope fully tomorrow he may have willing runners and pick a peach of a pass or two out
  • Options
    MSE7 said:

He ain't as good as people are making out. All he ever does is pass the ball back, you watch him closely. It's like
    he is scared in possession

Which is worrying because he has been head and shoulders , our best player over the last half a dozen games

The lad is quality and will play at the very highest level.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    But who's better Poyet or Cousins? Genuine question as I've seen neither of them play.
  • Options
    MSE7 said:

He ain't as good as people are making out. All he ever does is pass the ball back, you watch him closely. It's like

If you watch most teams at a higher level you need this sort of player, Poyet has moulded his game to become this player. He stretches teams and does a job others won't/can't, there is a reason so many clubs are interested, he's very very young and plays a game that would fit into many, if not all, Championship teams.

@Tewkesbury_Addick , Poyet is currently worth more to the team/in money terms. Cousins can't quite work out his game, what he brings to teams but has talent, Poyet has worked out what he can do for a team and in what position.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    He always seems to have more time on the ball then any other player on the pitch. The sign of a really clever and top class player.

Barcelona and Inter? Not really buying it. His agent is trying to stir up interest and contract offers before the season is over and while scouts can still be sent out to watch him. He's off, and like I said in the other thread, we've trained him for years and given him his debut and he's refused to sign a contract. Lovely stuff, Diego.
  • Options
    Class player. Yeah he sat deep against sheff utd but I was watching him closely and he was always moving off the ball to receive a pass which with better players he would have got instead of watching an aimless punt up field. Sadly think his long term wont be with us but still think a full season in the champ with us is his best option but not holding my breath.
  • Options
    Having a deep playmaker is more effective when you play a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation you need players who can rotate and are higher up the pitch not a rigid 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1, The modern game is all about space and Poyet times his runs well to recieve the ball in a diagonal pocket which allows him to play forward from his first touch but if players don't react quickly then you either switch the play or play back to retain possession.
  • Options
    The fact he hasn't signed a contract already shows he won't be here next year.
    Such a great talent like him you'd think the club would offer a contract immediately.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

He always seems to have more time on the ball then any other player on the pitch. The sign of a really clever and top class player.

Barcelona and Inter? Not really buying it. His agent is trying to stir up interest and contract offers before the season is over and while scouts can still be sent out to watch him. He's off, and like I said in the other thread, we've trained him for years and given him his debut and he's refused to sign a contract. Lovely stuff, Diego.

It works both ways. He committed his youth to us and if we had deemed him not good enough we would have discarded him. There is no sentiment in either side or repayment just ask lawrie Wilson Danny Green Erhun Otzumer and countless others who have been discarded

• Options
    MSE7 said:

serious post?

the reason he passes backwards is because there are fuck all intelligent runs through ff the ball.
    CLASS players male it look like they have time on the ball, all about spacial awareness, a natural gift.

• Options

But who's better Poyet or Cousins? Genuine question as I've seen neither of them play.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Theres only one way to find out FIGHT!!!!!!!!.I
    I reckon hes waiting to see which league we are in, after today we will have a good idea a win at Milwall might just kickstart the end of season run in
  • Options
    Anyone with any sense would run a mile from this regime.
  • Options
    timken said:

Anyone with any sense would run a mile from this regime.

Or anyone negotiating a new contract may negotiate a clause to get access to champions league football

We are in a corporate change phase lots of disruption lots of disharmony it could well turn out a positive in the long run for the young players

• Options
    edited March 2014
    MSE7 said:

Funnily enough, I said to Mrs cafcfan last Wednesday that watching Diego play was like watching a modern day Butch Wilkins (aka The Crab) but with hair. Still he managed to carve out a pretty good career for himself.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

he's long gone trust me, we will offer him an improved contract so we are entitled to some Bosman money, but he will end up in a far higher class of football than us

Well overating him there!
  • Options
    Braver enough to recieve the ball in position's where most player's wouldn't, rarely wastes a pass, showed with the Sordell pass that he's got 40 yard balls in his locker. Yeah he's pretty pony.

Difficult to compare him and Cousins as despite playing similar positions they are very different players, Poyet better technically but Cousins better physically, both have very good football brains. On current form I'd say Poyet but I feel Cousins has suffered recently by playing out of position and perhaps a little Fatigue as he's played a lot of football in a very important role in his first season in Mens football.
  • Options
    Not sure about either Poyet or Cousins tbh - haven't seen enough to make a judgement.
    Cousins is suffering from being played out of position and Poyet is early in his career.
    Of the two Poyet looks more assured to me and composed in possession. Will be upset when he goes and it will be interesting to see how he looks in a decent side.
  • Options
    Didn't Palace fans use to claim that Real Madrid and Barca were tracking Victor Moses and John Bostock? One went to Wigan and the other to Tottenham reserves.
    Diego looks a player, but let's not go nuts.
    Would be nice if he would sign a contract with a release clause of some kind so at least we got some wonga when he goes
  • Options
    edited March 2014

MSE7 said:

That ball to sordell on Wednesday was one hell of a backwards pass...
    Lol! What a fantastic pass that was, as good as anything Stephens played at his best for us.

1:30 here for anyone who didn't see it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDIuhqlmYSo