Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Diego Poyet's contract situation **DieGONE - Signs for West Ham)**

Comments

• Options

Any more news on poyet's contract?

Months ago he said he would not make any decision until the end of the season, ITTV know jack shit and im more than happy to donate £10 to charity if by some miracle a deal is done this week
  • Options
    If Barca are really interested going there at this stage would be difierent to going to most Premier League clubs. They really do nurture young talent and bring players into the first team if they are good enough, not treat their youth team like battery chickens by buying large numbers cheaply to be sold off after a few years in the youth team.
  • Options

Hope we don't mess about...just offer him a contract.

Do you think we haven't? It's his decision not to sign as this present time.......................
  • Options
    Southbank said:

If Barca are really interested going there at this stage would be difierent to going to most Premier League clubs. They really do nurture young talent and bring players into the first team if they are good enough, not treat their youth team like battery chickens by buying large numbers cheaply to be sold off after a few years in the youth team.

But would find himself playing for Barca B in the 2nd div. Don't really know too much about spanish second tier, but would it be a step up?

Anyway, I won't be paying too much attention to this rumour. Probably something either dreamed up by some freelance journo, scraping around for a story to pay for this months installment on his mondeo, or Poyets agent trying to drum up more offers to fatten his own wallet. "Hey premier clubs, Make me an insane offer and you can beat Barca to this player".

*Tango doffs his cynical cap and walks away whistling..............................
  • Options

Hope we don't mess about...just offer him a contract. Also, I agree Wilson has got better this season at right back, but when if Solly is fit...he will go straight back into that position.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Maybe it is the romantic in me, but I don’t see Barca as the sort of team that would rob a small club of their talent – without paying a fair price - Arsenal, Spurs and West Ham yes, but I think Barca has more class as a club.

I think the fact that Barca are taking an interest is a positive. Poyet will know they are keeping tabs on him and they have the resources to take him when they want him – but if he goes now he could get lost. He hasn’t played a full season yet – he has established himself in the Charlton team and as long as we stay up – at least another season with us would seem to be the football decision.
  • Options

Maybe it is the romantic in me, but I don’t see Barca as the sort of team that would rob a small club of their talent – without paying a fair price - Arsenal, Spurs and West Ham yes, but I think Barca has more class as a club.

Barcelona sold their soul a few years ago, just look at the crap surrounding the Neymar transfer.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Barcelona sold their soul a few years ago, just look at the crap surrounding the Neymar transfer.
    To be honest I think a lot of that has something to do with the state Brazil's got itself into over economic rights in player ownership.
  • Options

cafctom said:

can only assume people who think its a joke that Wilson could be POTY havent been to any games. Played out of position, yes the occasional lapse in concentration, but a willing runner and is becoming very solid and dependable. Top, top attitude and the kind of player I want to see playing for Charlton

I didn't say it was a joke, I said it shows how desperate our season has been. The bloke really isn't a decent Championship player.
    So, he has been played out of position for a lot of the season, yet our defensive record is one of the best in the league. Strikes me as someone has done a very decent job at Championship level actually.
    But back to my original comment about it summing up our season...... Do you want a player that has played out of position, that has done a 'decent' job to be your PLAYER OF THE YEAR?! How shit does that make the rest of them that have played in their 'proper' positions
    Lets not forget that two major candidates for it (Stephens and Kermorgant) were sold half way through the season.
  • Options
    Charlton have a coach allegedly working without a contract, have ambitious plans for improving the training facilities and the pitch and the team are possibly in line for relegation. If you were Gus Poyet surely you would advise your son to wait until the end of the season before deciding on any offer that Charlton might make.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, or get a contract signed with a relegation clause built in. That shouldn't be too difficult!
  • Options

I think the fact that Barca are taking an interest is a positive. Poyet will know they are keeping tabs on him and they have the resources to take him when they want him – but if he goes now he could get lost. He hasn’t played a full season yet – he has established himself in the Charlton team and as long as we stay up – at least another season with us would seem to be the football decision.

Really!? They're once of the worst!!

The way they tapped up Fabregas was disgraceful.

Alex Song a couple of seasons ago and they're trying to do the same to David Luiz at the minute.
  • Options
    I think Diego wants to play championship first team football next season. Barca b would be an interesting step, playing with some future world stars. The Spanish second div is a lot less physical than the champ but there are a lot more technically gifted players. Remember, foreign teams can directly approach players who's contract is out this summer.
  • Options
    Hearing that the rumours of interest from abroad are more than paper talk.
  • Options
    He really does look like a class above the rest of the players. Not sure why he wasn't played earlier? Seems more than ready. Very assured on the ball. He makes very few mistakes and has an eye for a killer ball (I'd like to see more of this though). I feel that it would be premature for him to move on to a Premier or European club, just yet. I hope we can persuade him to stay for another season. I think it would be better for us and for him.
  • Options
    I know for a fact, he was offered a contract. He more or less said so in an interview on Charlton Life but said he wants to wait until the end of the season. He also said that interest from Sunderland was just paper talk
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:

can only assume people who think its a joke that Wilson could be POTY havent been to any games. Played out of position, yes the occasional lapse in concentration, but a willing runner and is becoming very solid and dependable. Top, top attitude and the kind of player I want to see playing for Charlton

I didn't say it was a joke, I said it shows how desperate our season has been. The bloke really isn't a decent Championship player.
    So, he has been played out of position for a lot of the season, yet our defensive record is one of the best in the league. Strikes me as someone has done a very decent job at Championship level actually.
    But back to my original comment about it summing up our season...... Do you want a player that has played out of position, that has done a 'decent' job to be your PLAYER OF THE YEAR?! How shit does that make the rest of them that have played in their 'proper' positions
    Lets not forget that two major candidates for it (Stephens and Kermorgant) were sold half way through the season.
    Good Point Tom, but to an extent even '3rd place' POTY being an average / 'decent' out of position player....who doesn't particularly shine in his 'normal' position sums up our season!
  • Options

If we stay up then my prediction for next season is that we are going to be better than mid championship side next season. Our new owner is loaded and quite possibly in a hurry aged 67...
    We have a lot of players going out of contract - I really hope we renew the top 5 or so and then use the network European and African scouting set up to find the best we can. As I have posted before, Duchatelet has previous in recruiting good young players - take a look at Liege website.
    So I believe it is in Poyet best interests to stay in the same shirt and in the same midfield... But with better strikes and others to help.
    I am not saying he will play his way into the Premier league with us but you never know we might have a crack at the play offs?!

As Riga said in his Programme notes today... Weve the seventh best defense in the Division

If we can sort the fitness out with Wiggins, Solly and Hamer (who have been unfortunate to miss large periods this season) and maybe have stronger backups in their positions then we only really need to strengthen on the wings (Max Gradel possibly again?) and up front to become a serious play off threat
    That's quite a big 'only'.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Je ne comprends pas.
  • Options

Je ne comprends pas.
    l'homme est de la merde
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd like to think he'll sign a new deal, give us another year then probably be sold next summer. At his age i'm not sure moving to a big club and sitting in their reserves is what he needs.

Although having said that, if Barca are seriously in for him, it's probably a once in a lifetime opportunity so it'd be hard for him to turn down. Would you rather train with Messi and Iniesta or Church and Jackson?
  • Options

They'll get him for a small development fee but have to pay Gus about £20 million, a la Neymar :-)
  • Options

I'd like to think he'll sign a new deal, give us another year then probably be sold next summer. At his age i'm not sure moving to a big club and sitting in their reserves is what he needs.

Although having said that, if Barca are seriously in for him, it's probably a once in a lifetime opportunity so it'd be hard for him to turn down. Would you rather train with Messi and Iniesta or Church and Jackson?

if I was him and Arsenal, man U or barcelona came in I would be interested, the rest would lose you and you may turn into a Bostock. I would also have written in the contract that after a 6 month club acclimatisation period I would either get first team experience at the owning club or be loaned out to a Championship team or lower Prem.

• Options
    Kap10 said:

if I was him and Arsenal, man U or barcelona came in I would be interested, the rest would lose you and you may turn into a Bostock.

Arsenal yes but United and Barca would also lose you. United are going to go on a spending spree, Moyes isn't going to be blooding a young central midfielder anytime soon. And Barca couldn't even find a place in their midfield for Thiago.
  • Options

Kap10 said:

if I was him and Arsenal, man U or barcelona came in I would be interested, the rest would lose you and you may turn into a Bostock.

Arsenal yes but United and Barca would also lose you. United are going to go on a spending spree, Moyes isn't going to be blooding a young central midfielder anytime soon. And Barca couldn't even find a place in their midfield for Thiago.
    I think if I was Poyet I'd also look at Jenkinson and see how often he's actually played for Arsenal (cos its a lot more than I thought he'd play when they signed him)... Plus he probably knows Jenkinson a little from the Youth days (even though he'd be a few groups younger) so can speak with him about the club if need be
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Charlton have a coach allegedly working without a contract, have ambitious plans for improving the training facilities and the pitch and the team are possibly in line for relegation. If you were Gus Poyet surely you would advise your son to wait until the end of the season before deciding on any offer that Charlton might make.

This.

Yes, or get a contract signed with a relegation clause built in. That shouldn't be too difficult!

Relegation probably isn't the only thing that should be taken into consideration, like Lancashire Lad has pointed out. Much as I'd like him to stay with us, I'm not surprised he hasn't agreed a new deal yet. He'll have plenty of time and choices in the summer so why the hurry to sign for us when he doesn't even know where we will be and who will be in charge next season?
  • Options
    Diego Poyett is the most exciting youngster I have seen come through the academy in nearly 50 years of supporting the club.

I was told last season that Tony Jiminez and Chris Powell did not get along A major concern that Jiminez had was that the Charlton youth academy was certainly on par, if not better than the Palace set up yet but apart from Callum Harriott the Charlton youngsters were not getting a chance. Palace are/were producing far more first team players from their academy than we were. This was because their youth team were given the opportunity and ours were not.

So if I was Tony Jiminez or Roland, my question to Chris Powell would be why on earth did Diego Poyett not get an opportunity until Dale Stephens was sold?

Powell must have seen him in training every day and realised just what a prospect he was turning into.
  • Options
    spurs very interested and arsenal want both Jordan and Diego
  • Options

Diego Poyett is the most exciting youngster I have seen come through the academy in nearly 50 years of supporting the club.

I was told last season that Tony Jiminez and Chris Powell did not get along A major concern that Jiminez had was that the Charlton youth academy was certainly on par, if not better than the Palace set up yet but apart from Callum Harriott the Charlton youngsters were not getting a chance. Palace are/were producing far more first team players from their academy than we were. This was because their youth team were given the opportunity and ours were not.

So if I was Tony Jiminez or Roland, my question to Chris Powell would be why on earth did Diego Poyett not get an opportunity until Dale Stephens was sold?

Powell must have seen him in training every day and realised just what a prospect he was turning into.

Carefull - you are turning this into an anti-powell thread! tut tut tut
  • Options

... why on earth did Diego Poyett not get an opportunity until Dale Stephens was sold?

that does seem a very good question.