Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sheffield United v Charlton QF FA Cup 2014 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    Just got in. Sheff U were better than us. They deserve their day out at Wembley and we deserve to be battling relegation.

We have got youngsters who will get better if we hold on to them. But boy that squad lacks creativity and confidence. Hard to blame Poyet when there is no movement off the ball in front of him.

Disappointing yes, unexpected, sadly not.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    CAFC4LIFE said: "never gonna score the amount of goals we need to with two pony strikers and no service"

In a nutshell. If we get no loans in to rectify this, then we are relegated, no doubt now.
  • Options
    I am feeling absolutely gutted. The set up of the team was utterly wrong. Not sure how Jordan Cousins is playing at right midfield, when it clearly does not work (no blame attached to him). Charlton do not have the players for 442, so why play it ? Charlton contained Sheff Utd fairly easily in the first half and were the better team. Charlton were absolutely toothless throughout. The Harriots stumble and miss infront of an open goal will stay with me for a long time. Sheffield United always looked more dangerous in the final third and deserved to win.

The lack of a decent strike force is an indictment of Rolands selling and non replacement of the only decent Championship level goal scoring striker, Charlton had at the club. The combination of Powells regularly misset up of the team and Roland's 'vision' (lack of misplaced investment) does not look good for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    Chris Powell was left to rue a missed opportunity as Charlton crashed out of the FA Cup at Sheffield United on Sunday.

A win for the Addicks would have taken them to the semi-finals of the competition for the first time since 1947, and a first trip to Wembley since 1998.

However, after Callum Harriott stretched to poke a great chance wide, United capitalised and scored two quick-fire goals to send Charlton out of the competition.

It was a spell Powell described as the game’s turning point.

“Goals change games,” said the Addicks boss.

“You have to take your chances and we had a gilt-edged one that we put past the post before they went up the over end and nicked a goal.

“It was unfortunate for Callum because he was lively and played well, but if you’re a goal ahead then you’ve got something to hang onto.

“If we go ahead then the game can become stretched, as it did when we started chasing it, so that was a big moment for us.

“There weren’t too many moments but that was definitely one that could have put us in a position to win the game.

“I’m really disappointed for the fans because their support was brilliant, a lot of them came up overnight and sadly we couldn’t give them what they wanted.

With the chance of a visit to Wembley now gone, Powell stressed the importance of his side responding so they can climb up the league table.

Games will come thick and fast from now until the end of the season and attention must now switch towards the home game against Huddersfield Town on Wednesday evening (7.45pm).

“It can’t be anything else now,” he said, of the need to focus on the Championship.

“We’re disappointed with today but we move on. We have a few games in hand and it’s all in our hands.

“If we win both of the next week’s game then the table will have a different complexion.”

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20140309-chris-powell-an-opportunity-missed-1408096.aspx#jhp3WezUyKgMzikc.99

Where's the apology? Clutching at straws with Harriott's miss. He was on the stretch. We created nothing up until that point, and only Reza's close range effort after that. For a man who told us the team were 'ready to turn up and it today was such a massive opportunity', this post match interview is like we've just gone out the league cup in August. I'm a fan of Powell because I think he's done a good job getting us up and finishing 9th this season. After that performance, you cannot just brush it under the carpet by saying 'goals change games'. If goals change games then passionate, good performances get goals. You can't have one with out the other. Ian Darke on BT sports almost summed it up when the called 4 minutes injury time. He said Charlton need 4 hours. Ian, with that team, and those players, you could play that game for 4 more years and we wouldn't offer anything.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Chris Powell was left to rue a missed opportunity as Charlton crashed out of the FA Cup at Sheffield United on Sunday.

A win for the Addicks would have taken them to the semi-finals of the competition for the first time since 1947, and a first trip to Wembley since 1998.

However, after Callum Harriott stretched to poke a great chance wide, United capitalised and scored two quick-fire goals to send Charlton out of the competition.

It was a spell Powell described as the game’s turning point.

“Goals change games,” said the Addicks boss.

“You have to take your chances and we had a gilt-edged one that we put past the post before they went up the over end and nicked a goal.

“It was unfortunate for Callum because he was lively and played well, but if you’re a goal ahead then you’ve got something to hang onto.

“If we go ahead then the game can become stretched, as it did when we started chasing it, so that was a big moment for us.

“There weren’t too many moments but that was definitely one that could have put us in a position to win the game.

“I’m really disappointed for the fans because their support was brilliant, a lot of them came up overnight and sadly we couldn’t give them what they wanted.

With the chance of a visit to Wembley now gone, Powell stressed the importance of his side responding so they can climb up the league table.

Games will come thick and fast from now until the end of the season and attention must now switch towards the home game against Huddersfield Town on Wednesday evening (7.45pm).

“It can’t be anything else now,” he said, of the need to focus on the Championship.

“We’re disappointed with today but we move on. We have a few games in hand and it’s all in our hands.

“If we win both of the next week’s game then the table will have a different complexion.”

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20140309-chris-powell-an-opportunity-missed-1408096.aspx#jhp3WezUyKgMzikc.99

Where's the apology? Clutching at straws with Harriott's miss. He was on the stretch. We created nothing up until that point, and only Reza's close range effort after that. For a man who told us the team were 'ready to turn up and it today was such a massive opportunity', this post match interview is like we've just gone out the league cup in August. I'm a fan of Powell because I think he's done a good job getting us up and finishing 9th this season. After that performance, you cannot just brush it under the carpet by saying 'goals change games'. If goals change games then passionate, good performances get goals. You can't have one with out the other. Ian Darke on BT sports almost summed it up when the called 4 minutes injury time. He said Charlton need 4 hours. Ian, with that team, and those players, you could play that game for 4 more years and we wouldn't offer anything.

Sorry 9th last season

• Options
    Yeah terrible interview from Powell. If goals change games then maybe he should get them to attack instead of passing slowly sideways. Losing confidence in him now
  • Options
    At least we would've only played Hull, boring team.
  • Options
    Would we have beaten hull at wembley and does any teams watch videos of there opponents to get an idea how they play before a game?.
  • Options
    The one forward who looked dangerous sat on the bench for 80 mins.....first half sheff utd gave us more respect than we deserved and we should have had a go at them
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only downwards from here I'm afraid
  • Options
    Salad said:

laboured, toothless, poor, carry on like that and we are down

without 3/4 first team not squad additions we are down i.e we are down, we could have 100 games in hand what difference would it make ?
  • Options
    At services on way home from game. Told my 2 lads the old line that if you want success every week then go support Chelsea etc. But it was depressing. And it didn't seem right for Powell to come over. The players were right to get off in my opinion.

Game could've gone either way. In defence of Wiggins, the sun seemed to be playing havoc in his eyes and the cross from Baxter(?) was quality.

Generally there was little idea on how to create chances in the final 3rd. And the switch to 3-5-2 just seem to cause confusion.

Can only think AA is not starting every game either due to fitness or some kind of agreement with Liege that he can only play so many games/hours.

Crowd was disappointingly outsung by the Blades.

Got to get behind the team on Weds, a la Cardiff last season.
  • Options
    Bad performance. Bad team choices. Focus on the league and back the team is all we can do now. Harriott's miss cost us dearly. It was the battle I was expecting and we came out on the losing side.

Very worried for the rest of this season but we need to move on.
  • Options
    United looked like a team who had won their last 9 games. We looked like a team who didn't look confident of a goal let alone a win.

Powell's interview was poor but he was right. Harriott scoring would have given us a platform in the game. Their second was so unlucky and Powell's bold attempts to rescue something left us exposed to their pace down the flanks.

In truth though, they were a team at the top of their game and we were a team bereft of ideas. I don't think it was the setup or the changes.

I do think though that to a man their players wanted it more.
  • Options
    This really is the club that never fails to disappoint.

We ride our luck through to a quarter final against a lower division team, and then put in a performance like that.

I only watched on the TV, so can only imagine the feelings of all who were there.

And, as much as I want him to succeed, Powell needs to take his share of the blame.
  • Options
    I think I'll watch Welling United from now on instead.
    It's cheaper and they play better....
  • Options
    Just got back, what a dire and totally pathetic performance that was. If we don't buck our ideas up we are down for certain. When utd fans taunted us with 'that's why your going down', I had to agree with them
  • Options
    Lets cut the crap, Powell Isn't good enough at his job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Piss poor from start to finish, and Chris Powell and his coaching team bear equal responsibility with the players.

Poyet a very good prospect but let's not kid ourselves - today he sat in front of the back four, collected the short passes and laid it off to someone in space, either backwards or sideways. No creativity and that's what we need.

We can't play 4-4-2 with he players we currently have. Green doesn't have the effort or the bottle and Harriot lacks compousre and intelligence at this early stage of his career. Harriot might improve, Green won't.

We have to play 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-3-2 with attacking intent.

Hamer

Solly/Nego Morrison Wood/Dervite Wiggins

Cousins Poyet

Wilson Adjarevic Jackson

Tudgay/Reza

or

Hamer

Solly/Nego Morrison Wood/Dervite Wiggins

Cousins

Wilson Adjarevic Jackson

Tudgay Reza

Keeping it tight, nicking a goal, hanging on might, just might get us the occasional win and a few draws - but that just isn't enough. We have to win more games and we have to really go for it now. We can still stay up but we have to completely turn around our form to stand a chance, not carry on doing the same things that are failing. And if we are going to go down, let's at least go with a roar and not a whimper.
  • Options
    Andy Ansah (who is close to Powell) on Twitter suggesting a sinister reason for the lack of performance.....
  • Options

Andy Ansah (who is close to Powell) on Twitter suggesting a sinister reason for the lack of performance.....</blockquoth

Here we go

• Options
    Unbelievable twitters
  • Options
    Never thought I would say this but, Powell has to go after that gutless display. League 1 next year.
  • Options

Andy Ansah (who is close to Powell) on Twitter suggesting a sinister reason for the lack of performance.....

@MrAndyAnsah
    To my fellow #Charlton fans there is disappointment from today's loss.
    The truth will surface behind it.
    I won't say no more.
  • Options
    Powell decided to leave before K.O.?

Or something like players are ill/unable to sleep beforehand?
  • Options

Powell decided to leave before K.O.?

Or something like players are ill/unable to sleep beforehand?

Mary Berry to be new Director of Football (and catering).

• Options
    Gutting, players bottled it.
  • Options
    Set up very poorly.
    We played with very little self-confidence.
    Constantly passing it back and across the center circle.

Tudgey - awful
    Church - pitiful as usual
    Reza - invisible

We will go down in the next 10 days if we keep playing like that.