Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Exeter City: Tuesday 3rd October 2023 KO 19:45PM

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2023
    We’ll play better than that and not win .
    but 3 points no matter how they come are much needed .
    points that I’ve not seen mentioned 
    I think AMB was like slow motion trying to stop their goal at his near post
    exeter should have had a pen first half 
    and Alfie encroached in to the D before Aneke struck the penalty
    great turnout for Exeter on a Tuesday night 741 and a healthy 10,834 Addicks seats issued 😀

Eieieio 

Nah, mate, in the studio with playbacks you clearly see he timed his run perfectly. Which incident are you talking about for an Exeter pen? There was some diving going on in the first half.

Cracking rhyme above though so your over-pessimism is excused ;)  

I shuddered when I saw Chuks was starting, seemed way too early, but he looked genuinely fit, whereas in previous attempted comebacks it looked like our approach to getting him fit was "getting minutes into him". Add to that CBT easily able to last the full 100 minutes, and I have to say as a long -term critic of our backroom set-up, somebody has done a good job with those two. 

Louie Watson has the potential to be as influential this season as Mark Kinsella was. He may not have the thunderbolt in his locker, and he's a bit more tetchy, perhaps not captain material at least at this stage of his career, but his reaction to not starting last week has been top-drawer. 

Alfie is in the D and Chuks hasn’t even struck the ball in this pic his striking foot is blurred .

Exeter fella in first half near corner of box was moving away from goal and T Watson just took his ankle late , ref didn’t even give a free kick , ridiculous .
    & the goalie has moved before the kick was taken, his right foot is moving forward
  • Options
    great turnout for Exeter on a Tuesday night 741 and a healthy 10,834 Addicks seats issued 😀

Eieieio 

Nah, mate, in the studio with playbacks you clearly see he timed his run perfectly. Which incident are you talking about for an Exeter pen? There was some diving going on in the first half.

I shuddered when I saw Chuks was starting, seemed way too early, but he looked genuinely fit, whereas in previous attempted comebacks it looked like our approach to getting him fit was "getting minutes into him". Add to that CBT easily able to last the full 100 minutes, and I have to say as a long -term critic of our backroom set-up, somebody has done a good job with those two. 

Louie Watson has the potential to be as influential this season as Mark Kinsella was. He may not have the thunderbolt in his locker, and he's a bit more tetchy, perhaps not captain material at least at this stage of his career, but his reaction to not starting last week has been top-drawer. 

Alfie is in the D and Chuks hasn’t even struck the ball in this pic his striking foot is blurred .

Exeter fella in first half near corner of box was moving away from goal and T Watson just took his ankle late , ref didn’t even give a free kick , ridiculous .
    & the goalie has moved before the kick was taken
    He's still got a foot on the goal line... that's the rule now isn't it?
  • Options

Eieieio 

Is it ? I thought he could move about on the line but both feet had to remain there until the ball is kicked. I'm not 100% sure by any means but looking into the future by the time Chucks strikes the ball I reckon the goalies left foot has moved forward as well as he's already on his toes :D
  • Options

Eieieio 

Is it ? I thought he could move about on the line but both feet had to remain there until the ball is kicked. I'm not 100% sure by any means but looking into the future by the time Chucks strikes the ball I reckon the goalies left foot has moved forward as well as he's already on his toes :D
    Yeah... the Goalkeeper must start with one foot on the line

The moment the ball has been kicked they can come off the line.

What a lot of Goalkeepers appear to do these days, is start slightly in the goal, so that when the attacker is running up to the ball, the Goalkeeper is equally moving forwards, whilst ensuring they leave their trailing leg on the line, so they've already gained a little bit of momentum for the dive.
  • Options
    The keeper made a great save and had one foot on the line when the ball was kicked. 
  • Options
    I can't wait for the next episode of "My new football club" podcast. David Earl has been banging on about how they'll easily get promoted when they were (briefly) top of the table and he's suddenly getting a reality shock  :D
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Most importantly, we did a Golfie last night. Quite an impressive Golfie too.
  • Options
    I can't wait for the next episode of "My new football club" podcast. David Earl has been banging on about how they'll easily get promoted when they were (briefly) top of the table and he's suddenly getting a reality shock  :D
    it's been out for a few hours already, they're not happy
  • Options
    That was great. Really well filmed 🙂
  • Options
    I listen to it every week. It’s quite amusing. 
  • Options
    Major said:
    I can't believe people are watching the red card incident again and still think it's even a foul.
    From the ref's angle, there's a late lunge, two feet off the ground and studs showing. Not surprised he gave a red at the time.
    As for your previous criticism of Alfie's reaction, may I respectfully remind you we play at the Valley not the Vatican?
    May I respectfully remind you that I’m entitled to my opinion.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Major said:
    I can't believe people are watching the red card incident again and still think it's even a foul.
    From the ref's angle, there's a late lunge, two feet off the ground and studs showing. Not surprised he gave a red at the time.
    As for your previous criticism of Alfie's reaction, may I respectfully remind you we play at the Valley not the Vatican?
    May I respectfully remind you that I’m entitled to my opinion.
    Absolutely. Everyone is. But are our players expected to wear halos? One minute they're getting shit for being too soft. Next minute Alfie gets the 'I'm disappointed' routine from you for being like every other pro footballer.

And I will just add, given all this 'Holier than thou' virtue spouting about the Red card,  Alfie's reaction to the tackle, plus Alfie's big toe was in the 'D' for the penalty, that I don't give a rat's arse how we win.  Rebound off the Ref's backside works for me, as long as we get a chance to get out of this god awful division.

But yes, wannabe VAR's, pretend pundits and of course Angels are indeed entitled, if that is what is important to them.

I just want us to win.
  • Options
    Always been a big advocate of 4/3/3 its the only way to win games onwards and upwards.
    3 days ago on the post match Shrewsbury thread you said.

"Ok so we’ll do the same despite being utter garbage at 4 3 3 for the last 3 seasons let’s not try to change it up just stick with what others do". 
    I know that was kinda the point. Still find it odd we finally got strikers AM/ML who stick it in the net and move the out wide and drop them into the 10 role. It worked Tuesday and I hope it continues throughout the season but remain still unconvinced at this stage
  • Options
    Always been a big advocate of 4/3/3 its the only way to win games onwards and upwards.
    3 days ago on the post match Shrewsbury thread you said.

"Ok so we’ll do the same despite being utter garbage at 4 3 3 for the last 3 seasons let’s not try to change it up just stick with what others do". 
    I know that was kinda the point. Still find it odd we finally got strikers AM/ML who stick it in the net and move the out wide and drop them into the 10 role. It worked Tuesday and I hope it continues throughout the season but remain still unconvinced at this stage
    One problem with playing four out and out attacking forwards is that it leaves you vulnerable defensively. 
  • Options
    Not read all the posts so apologies if already covered but I was disappointed we didn’t go for more goals towards the end and were more content to play it around at the back. 4-1 up against ten men with 5 second half  Charlton subs on the pitch with fresher legs and we were basically fcking about with the ball at times. 4-1 was a great result. 5-1, 6-1 would have have been even better especially if May had got a hat trick or other players had got on the score sheet. 
  • Options
    Just seen the 'foul' for the red card. That is an atrocious decision. Alfie May should be ashamed of himself for his reaction. I don't like to see that of our players. Very disappointing.

Disagree, it’s part of the game now and happens to us every week.

glad to see a more wanting to win spirit, I also love the players reaction. Finally going to the ref and screaming for things.

about time,

thats the one thing we didn’t do enough last season when teams were shit housing us with it.

well done MA
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I notice our XG is the third highest in the league. This is a sea change for us. 
  • Options
    We needed to win as much as any deserving of it.
    Everybody on the footballing side, the manager, coaches, and players did what they’re well paid to do, and did it handsomely. Anything less than a win in my opinion would’ve been a huge setback.
    The same circumstances apply on Saturday, we need to win against Blackpool.
  • Options
    Watched the game on CTV the other night and this is my first chance to post, better late than never I guess.
    For the first time in what seems a long while we have a squad capable of properly competing in this division. I appreciate there are lots of 'ifs' but I think we have a decent chance of making it to the playoffs this season.
    I thought everyone on the pitch earned and deserved their shirt.
    In midfield and up front we saw some good performances and someone who I think will be a gem as he gets more game time under his belt....... Tedic....... there's a good player there and I look forward to seeing more of him.
    Our defending is shaky at times and I'm a bit worried at the apparent lack of pace but on the positive side there are green shoots appearing and I think things will get a lot better defensively after a few more games and once MA is able to pick a consistent line-up.
    As for MA, he has, for the most part, inherited a good squad and for me is looking good in the role. He can definitely manage well at this level and I'm hoping with us he outdoes his past achievements.
  • Options
    And for those saying Chuks missed the pen, it was on target and the GK pushed it onto the upright. 

• Options
    edited October 2023
    And for those saying Chuks missed the pen, it was on target and the GK pushed it onto the upright. 
    Corey took the best pen this season. May doesn’t look especially confident when taking them, after missing a couple in pre season. He’s blasted his two down the middle. Would have been interesting to see what he would have done on Saturday. 
    Corey went high to the keeper’s right. Unsaveable. 
    I think they need to have a penalty competition in training to see who takes them. 
  • Options
    Napoleon spoke about wanting "lucky generals"

Mickey Apples might be one