Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Exeter City: Tuesday 3rd October 2023 KO 19:45PM

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2023
    As for the red, their player lunged for the ball but the ref's angle was probably decieving as he didn't really lunge through May. I can see why it might have been given but it wasn't a red.

We set up in a very attacking formation and that probably contributed to their goal, but we also scored four, Aneke wasn't offside so technically five and we could have got a few more. Not where we need to be but getting there I think. Let's see what Sarurday brings.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Dunno if it was his idea or Apples' to play him there, but May looks born to attacking midfield, incredible drive and skill. Him and Watson were very classy, and once Tedic and the other Watson got the hang of their side, we looked lethal
    He would have played in the more attacking midfield role at Doncaster. He did in the playoff second leg.
  • Options
    Tennai Watson had a better second half but was shaky first half. Exeter got their tactics spot on and isolated their pacy winger one on one (which the formation we played allowed them to do). Four or five times in the first half they did this and each time got into a decent position. Second half they changed tactics and personnel which gave Watson less defending ad more attacking opportunities. He looked decent going forwards but I have some concerns re his defending.

Little or no cover for our full backs - it does tend to magnify our defensive shortcomings.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blinding win Well done you Reds
    Happy days are here again  B)
  • Options
    We were worthy winners.  The sending off made it easy but before that I thought we were the better team.  Exeter were no mugs, though, and we will do well to win the return fixture.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Really can't understand CBT getting anything below a 7 on the players marks thread. Watched the game with a Gooner and two other Charlton, and we all thought he played a blinder.
    at the moment he's unplayable - superb form and a joy to watch - POTY so far by a country mile
  • Options
    I thought Tennai Watson was okay last night - don't get the level of criticism.

I think he strted poorly then improved greatly. He should have given away a penalty but then won one!
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    We played well from start to finish. Their goal came out of nowhere for me in a phase where we were creating chances. We had a lot of trouble pressuring their defence, they played out very easily through their number 6. Scoring on halftime is always good for morale and momentum. The second half we played some good stuff and eventually got the penalty. I can imagine why Alfie let Aneke take it, but in general I don't like it. I like Chuks a lot and happy for him he got his first start though. 

It is nice to have players like Fraser, Campbell and Leaburn coming from the bench. People who can impact the game and a lot of competition for amongst midfielders and forwards. A good squad who should look up rather than down. Bring on Blackpool at the weekend, another opportunity to get higher up the table.
  • Options
    All I can say is sorry Exeter, we've had bad decisions go against us this season & tonight was payback time.

Saying that, we looked the better team & although they had a few corners & some half chances the only real save AMB had to make (apart from the goal) was in injury time where he stopped it being 4-2.

Didn't like the line up with May in midfield & Tedic out wide but after 30 mins May grew into his role & started finding pockets of space around the edge of the box.....which then into the 2nd half got bigger & more productive, leading to a sumptuous pass out to CBT and then raced into the box to bury the loose ball. 

L Watson also grew into the game & his ball play & pass should have led to the first goal, only for the lino to flag Chuks offside (no need for VAR as they have no idea either). After that the midfielder battle was ours, with Watson, Dobbo & May passing it around for fun. 

Shame Chuks couldn't get on the scoresheet after hitting the woodwork twice but Apples will have to sort out our penalty taker once & for all. None of this "its mine, no you take it" malarkey.

All in all a very pleasant evening. 

My first home win on CAFC TV ✔
    GD bettered ✔
    The Golfie's well & truly put to bed ✔

But please Mr Apples, let’s Sa play our players in their proper positions, and once we get all out players fit we might just threatened the top 6. 

You said we were, “a shambles” last night!
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Top priority was to stop losing games and establish a foothold restoring some stability. Our own mindset and that of our opponents changes if the team is known to be hard to beat, which we haven't been for too long. 

I'm not expecting us to go on a long winning run because I don't believe we have a squad that's head and shoulders above others, but the table says we're in with chance being 4 points off 6th with a game in hand and results so far under MA (very early days though yet)  yielding  2 points a game, as required for promotion. 72 more from 36 would guarantee play offs! I'm discounting automatics as unrealistic this season.

Plenty of positives from a big win coming from behind (again) Are they to become par for the course this season? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talal said:
    May saying he gave it to Chuks because he wanted to kickstart his season.
    Well, it gave Chuks his second assist of the night. 
  • Options
    Slides in two-footed. Nothing laughable. 
  • Options
    Good performance,though Exeter played some good stuff in the first half and showed why they had a good start to the season.once again,a really soft goal to concede ,but they did their homework,they played right up to our defence all along the line,and exposed our lack of pace,especially their right winger.Now a word in defence of the lino,I was right behind him in that first half,when he was getting abused for not flagging,but he was right every time.Sending off ,well by the letter of the law,yes,two feet,studs up and a bit reckless,but Alfie milked it which I dont like to see,but there you go.Once again a slow start,the formation looked a bit disjointed,but as is normal with Appleton,he does get his changes spot on.Are automatics a pipe dream,no,Pompey are noted for falling away,we now have a big squad when fit,Keep Chucks fit,get Camara back on the pitch and that looks to me a very strong squad.
  • Options
    We are still slow defensively in transition, not sure if it's physically or mentally tho. We will be punished by better sides atm
  • Options
    Didn’t go last night as I’ve been too busy with work of late. In fact, I’m hardly on here at all these days. 

Watched the match on the stream. First 20 mins thought we were looking good and were reasonably comfortable. We conceded and I thought here we go again, nothing changes. Chucks has the ball in the net. Was it offside? Couldn’t tell from the tv pictures. Tedic was definitely inside. But we needed that goal just before the break. 

Second half, different gravy. Thought the sending off proved to be harsh but the ref was right on top of the incident and the Exeter player did lunge in a bit. After that it was wave after wave of attack. The goals were always going to come. It was just a question of how many. I’ll take the 4. Don’t want to be greedy. Enjoyable second half. It was one of those games that I didn’t want to end. 

The standard has now been set so bring on Blackpool. Now that we’re getting our injured players back we’re looking more of a threat going forward. Mikey Apples is going to have to make some difficult decisions on who he includes and who he leaves out 🤔
  • Options
    Very good all round home performance we had to stay calm as Exeter set up to let us have the ball but to hit us on the break , some of our football was really good as we tried to find the key to unlock the 10 man defence . Exeter scored which was out of the blue , but we did not panic got the deserved goal .. second we continued to dominate T Watson won the pen no complaints there , Aneke missed May scored .. then horrendous tackle on May could have broke his leg sending off … and we really took the game by the neck ..
    it was one of best home performances for a while 

MOM L Watson 
    Think you need to watch that sending off again mate. Wasn't even a foul.
    Two-footed studs up. Red all day long. I think you, and all those who LoLed his post, responded to the name on the post. To be fair, I was expecting drivel but this time I agree with everything he wrote. 
  • Options
    We’ll play better than that and not win .
    but 3 points no matter how they come are much needed .
    points that I’ve not seen mentioned 
    I think AMB was like slow motion trying to stop their goal at his near post
    exeter should have had a pen first half 
    and Alfie encroached in to the D before Aneke struck the penalty
    great turnout for Exeter on a Tuesday night 741 and a healthy 10,834 Addicks seats issued 😀

Eieieio 

I had look at the Exefans site, and they are saying as you point out re 1st half pen, encroachment by AM for pen followup plus the sending off "not even biased Charlton TV thinks it's a red"
    Plus a lot comments about refereeing, there may be history with the official.

In addition some critics of their manager playing around with formation and moving players around from familiar positions. Plus complaints about missing out on buying strikers.

For me it was very similar to the 5-1 vs Plymouth at home last season. We were fortunate, but you have to grab the good fortune that comes your way.
  • Options
    We’ve lost as many matches as Barnsley, who are in 4th spot, 10 places ahead of us, Wembley  here we come boys,  keep the date free!!
    We have 4 wins out of 6 home games. Still annoyed about how we lost to both Port Vale & Bristol Rovers. Hope those results don’t cost us as we should never have lost those two games. 
    After Saturday's game, we will have played 7 at home and only 4 away.

Away form not good so far. We need a big pick up in it.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    The Charlton curse had a night off 👏

I realised that early doors when Dobson attempted clearance from a cross went into the hands of AMB and not an OG !

Sounds churlish to be critical on a night with a big victory but the goal we conceded was a shocker with a pass down the middle and their two forwards ran clear. TBF to both Jones and Hector they did sort it out. 

Many positives for cafc when on the ball and Louie Watson is a positive player who looks to create. Alfie May took time as you would expect in his new role and a sublime pass to Chuks for his header against the bar and CBT did what all wide forwards should do in a 3 and get in the middle to support the Central striker when the ball is on the other side in an advanced position. Well taken goal by Corey because at last the 9 wasn't isolated.

Despite my/our mantra about Alfie May playing in a two alongside a big man, I can see that in that attacking midfield position behind Aneke or Leaburn he wasn't always picked up and had chances even in the 1st half. 

Tedic had a very hard working 2nd half with good technical skill but again he looked more dangerous in a central position as demonstrated with his twist and turn where the keeper did a good save.

Blackpool won't be a holiday and Aneke's Medical history tells us he should be back on the bench and probably play 30 minutes, including added time and Leaburn with fire in his belly plays from the start in the central striker's role where he looked comfortable. Lovely strike from Miles.

Suddenly our bench looks stronger and we have improved because of the quality in our squad. Fraser, Leaburn, and the Campbells kept the pressure on under the Tuesday night lights.

Has Micky Apples scared away the curse👀 🤔