Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Exeter City: Tuesday 3rd October 2023 KO 19:45PM

Comments

• Options
    follett said:
    Was Aneke offside for that one in the first half? Can't see an angle that shows him in the shot.
    Impossible to tell but definitely looked on, Tedic was 100% on though and was also through
    I thought Aneke was off side and Tedic on side.  Tedic looked frustrated, he could easily have made it to the ball had Aneke left it.  Lesson given by the opposition moments later.

• Options
    follett said:
    Was Aneke offside for that one in the first half? Can't see an angle that shows him in the shot.
    Impossible to tell but definitely looked on, Tedic was 100% on though and was also through
    I thought Aneke was off side and Tedic on side.  Tedic looked frustrated, he could easily have made it to the ball had Aneke left it.  Lesson given by the opposition moments later.

Spot on. Probably wise of Tedic not to give Chuks a piece of his mind though  :)
  • Options
    cafc_se7 said:
    Bring a fit Edun back into that lineup and I really do think we can challenge! We have a lot of quality. Yes Hector still looks a bit prone but I am sure he will return to the quality player he was last season! Still think Ness is an ample replacement, he has come in for a lot of stick considering how good his breakthrough was. 
    Is there a timeline for Edun’s return?
  • Options
    follett said:
    JamesSeed said:
    People giving Hector scores of 5 on the Players' Marks thread is disappointing. Certainly wasn't a 5 performance yesterday. It's hard to vote objectively I guess, leaving your pre conceived opinions based on previous performances behind.
    Saw someone blame AMB for the goal on there. Was 2 on 1 with plenty of space, would have been a miracle for them not to score
    Really expected the scorer to square it to his team mate.
    I did too, but I think maybe his team mate had got himself marginally ahead of him and posed a risk of offside if the pass went "forwards"?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Intent is irrelevant these days for a sending off. Does he put his opponent at risk?
    Only by pulling a muscle laughing as he fell on his arse.
  • Options
    When Eduns fit I’d play jones and Thomas as the centre back pair. 
  • Options
    Yeah I think that's what made it so hard for Ash. Wasn't the best struck shot in the world but given he'd have been on his heels trying to cover him squaring the ball, it made it really difficult to react quickly
  • Options
    follett said:
    JamesSeed said:
    People giving Hector scores of 5 on the Players' Marks thread is disappointing. Certainly wasn't a 5 performance yesterday. It's hard to vote objectively I guess, leaving your pre conceived opinions based on previous performances behind.
    Saw someone blame AMB for the goal on there. Was 2 on 1 with plenty of space, would have been a miracle for them not to score
    At the time I thought the other player was offside as he started the move high up the pitch, unlike the goalscorer who ran through from midfield
  • Options
    follett said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I've looked at it again Forever and the shot seems to bounce over him. But point well made, it left down to him to save an impossible situation created by his centre halves being somewhere they shouldn't. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @cabbles
    We'll find out on Saturday if it's you or me - I've been to the same three wins but I'm also at the Blackpool match. To add to the pressure, I've got a dozen friends coming with me - most of them for the first time and they support teams from Celtic to Ajax, Man U to Villa. So hoping we're at least as good as last night!! 
  • Options
    follett said:

Think Chuks looks onside there too! 
  • Options
    Posting without reading (to avoid my views being swayed then i'll catch up)

At the game yadada

You beauties!!!

I was very vocal about Apples being a crap appointment at first but he's getting a fine tune out of this band and if he can manage to get us promoted I will buy him a stone island jumper of his choosing, no issues.

I thought we looked comfortable all night and never really looked panicked. We create chances, we push teams and we have a lot of quality attacking options when all fit. I thought the midfield was class at times, Exeter got through too easy a couple of times but that's Dobson working with a new midfield partner again causing that unfamiliarity. One thing for certain now though, L.Watson is a very, very promising player. Could sneakily be one of the best transfers this window? confident on the ball, demanding, intelligent spacing and seems very sensible in his tackling. 

Special mention to Lloyd Jones, we haven't had a good centre back in...well I am not sure how long now and he is really growing into that roll and making it his own. Great in the air, fairly quick for a big bloke and looks comfortable. Still not sold on other defenders but think we have a right good un' there. Special mention to Tennai Watson again, great overlap to earn the penno and always looks attack minded. Finally Thomas, had a tough match up against their 7 who looked very lively but handled it fairly well out of position.

I love Alfie, said it from the moment we got him we were very very lucky. Talismanic energy and he's gonna give Dobson and CBT some serious competition for Player of the season.

That's about it, wasn't sure of the attacking 3 at first but Alfie said Micky Apples wanted the attackers to go 3 on 3 with their centre backs and it seemed to pay off, he has to be doing something right. 

Cannot wait for Blackpool, come on you reeeeedssss
  • Options
    I hope everyone (including me !) Who thought why is Appleton playing Alfie May in the hole or between the lines can watch the highlights and see he was instrumental in 3 of the goals from that attacking midfield position where he still gets in and around the box but just isn't marked as tight. 

I wanted May to play alongside Aneke or Leaburn but if he can play in between the lines which he did with aplomb last night then fine.

The extended highlights are interesting in you can see Tedic was frustrated with Chuks when he played the ball in an off-side position. I assume Aneke was offside as you can't see him on the screen when the ball leaves the foot of the passes ?
  • Options
    I might be wrong but they both looked onside to me. What did they say in the studio?
  • Options
    I can't believe people are watching the red card incident again and still think it's even a foul.
    From the ref's angle, there's a late lunge, two feet off the ground and studs showing. Not surprised he gave a red at the time.
    As for your previous criticism of Alfie's reaction, may I respectfully remind you we play at the Valley not the Vatican?
  • Options
    had a good read and don't think anyone else has given AMB a cheeky honourable mention? 

Made two absolutely cracking saves, one in particular, had it gone in could have swayed the game. I am a bit gutted Isted is injured straight after a worldie but good to Ash step in and get the job done.
  • Options
    had a good read and don't think anyone else has given AMB a cheeky honourable mention? 

Made two absolutely cracking saves, one in particular, had it gone in could have swayed the game. I am a bit gutted Isted is injured straight after a worldie but good to Ash step in and get the job done.
    Some say cracking, some say regulation. Not been able to see them back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:

Some say cracking, some say regulation. Not been able to see them back.
    I didn't manage to record either and maybe it was cause I was on a high but in real time they seemed really good. 
  • Options
    Gone under the radar a bit Chuks taking the ball off May and then missing! Out of order in my opinion 
  • Options
    Gone under the radar a bit Chuks taking the ball off May and then missing! Out of order in my opinion 

It sounds like MA was more pissed off at May for allowing it to happen.
  • Options
    Think that's cause May has thrown cold water on it and said he was ok with Chuks taking the penalty. 

If he hadn't said that or May converted the loose chance there may be more of a discussion tbf 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Micky Apples, has got our juices flowing again, but how long will it last?
  • Options
    Thought we started to improve on about half hour when we started to play it into chucks feet instead of trying to play it wide all the time - much better - enabled the midfield to start playing instead of just trying to usher the ball out wide - more of the same please - round the back and then out wide into a dead end is extremely dull 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    I thought we started with more intent than we usually do. It might not have been spectacular but we usually 'feel teams out' without creating very much. Don't get me wrong, it isn't where we need to be but it feels like we might be getting there. That remains a possibility rather than a certainty. They scored a goal, should have had a penalty and had a great chance they missed which happens in League One. We scored five goals beacuse Aneke was onside and had a lot of decent chances. You can be unlucky but it is a game you win a lot more times than you don't all things being equal. That was a positive IMO.