Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Exeter City: Tuesday 3rd October 2023 KO 19:45PM

Comments

• Options
    Great win in the end. The sending off was clearly harsh and denied Exeter a comeback thankfully. No points dropped,
    Good.
  • Options
    Absolutely absurd decision to let Aneke take that penalty when Blackett-Taylor had taken an unstoppable one at Stevenage a couple of weeks earlier and Alfie May had scored two.

If it was 4-1 fair enough but not at 1-1.

Someone deserves a real bollocking from Appleton for the decision.
    I get you point but... nothing brings someone up and breeds confidence like a goal - he would have been understandably nervous about even starting a game yet he was straight putting his hand up- in my opinion it was worth the risk. Can't fault Appleton for that i'd have been pushing him forward as well

• Options
    edited October 2023
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Absolutely absurd decision to let Aneke take that penalty when Blackett-Taylor had taken an unstoppable one at Stevenage a couple of weeks earlier and Alfie May had scored two.

If it was 4-1 fair enough but not at 1-1.

Someone deserves a real bollocking from Appleton for the decision.
    Wasn't Aneke going to take the one at Stevenage until CBT took the ball off of him?  

Is that our 4th penalty of the season already?  

The number of penalties and the number of late goals we are scoring do tell us something is different.

If we can get a 60/40 split out of Leaburn and Aneke every week, a settled back 5 and the right midfield combination the rest will sort its self out.

I do wonder if the lack of minutes of Chem means that Appleton has decided that he is the attacking option he will sacrifice in January for a defender?  He has hinted at as much.
  • Options
    Good all round performance. How good does it feel to go into the last ten minutes not feeling tense? Would have liked to see us go for a fifth rather than going for the pass it about game management option, but can't argue, a win is a win. :)
  • Options
    After the first 23 minutes we totally dominated. As soon as we started playing to feet, Aneke had them on toast. If it hadn't been for another shocking defensive mistake we'd have been praising the first half performance as well as the 2nd. L Watson looks one hell of a player, difficult to see how Camara gets back in.
  • Options
    Very good all round home performance we had to stay calm as Exeter set up to let us have the ball but to hit us on the break , some of our football was really good as we tried to find the key to unlock the 10 man defence . Exeter scored which was out of the blue , but we did not panic got the deserved goal .. second we continued to dominate T Watson won the pen no complaints there , Aneke missed May scored .. then horrendous tackle on May could have broke his leg sending off … and we really took the game by the neck ..
    it was one of best home performances for a while 

MOM L Watson 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    3 points and the run goes on if we can get another win at the weekend we are cooking on gas

alfie May is just the bollocks how we got him for the money is beyond me
  • Options
    https://x.com/jimmyyy_____/status/1709301802233991374?s=48&t=fa60M3vqALLnQeh3d9bD7A

see link for the sending off. 

Watching that for the first time and was told it was a red I would ask for who.  Its not even a foul.

We have had more than our fair share not go away and they "even themselves out" so I won't lose any sleep over it.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Smithy said:
    Similar to Wycombe a couple of weeks ago, I would have taken a point for a significant period of that game. No idea how we’ve won 4-1 but I’ll take the ugly wins. Still think this team has a long long way to go to challenge though. 

L Watson man of the match. 
    It may have flattered us slightly, but given how many chances we had and how many times we poured forward, looking very threatening, surely you have some idea.
    Prior to the penalty and red card Exeter were marginally better than us and could easily have been 2 up in the first half. We did what we needed to do in the circumstances so I’ll take it 
  • Options
    Tuesday night games against teams from the West Country seem to suit us. A great 4-1 win and a red card for them. Last year it was a great 5-1 win against Plymouth and a red card for them. 

We're just let down by Saturdays.
    …and playing against teams from the other 95% of the country!
  • Options
    Pretty flat first half but much better 2nd half. Appleton has started well long may it continue