Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England World Cup Squad

When’s it announced, and who would make it into your World Cup squad?

Comments

• When’s it announced, and who would make it into your World Cup squad?
    By 13th Nov but Southgate will probably do so on the 10th
  • edited November 2022
    Ramsdale
    Pickford
    Pope

James (if fit)
    Tripper
    Walker
    Stones
    Maguire
    Chilwell
    Shaw
    White
    Dier

Rice
    Bellingham
    Ward Prowse
    Henderson

Foden
    Mount
    Grealish
    Saka
    Sterling
    Maddison

Kane
    Wilson
    Abraham
    Toney

Would be mine (it is 26 right?)
  • Can’t see him taking 4 centre forwards. Plus Mount will go.

Maguire should be left at home.
  • Similar to Gary but agree no need for 4 centre forwards. Would take Rashford over one of them, probably Wilson. Maybe Coady over Maddison 
  • Has the stench of a non event to me.  Totally out of sync with the football calendar.  We'll probably go and win it!
  • Ben Chilwell a major doubt for the WC having sustained a hamstring injury last night. Not that many international class left footed defenders around at the moment.  
  • I suspect that there will be a few internationals that are certain of their place in their respective WC squads who won't kick up too much of a fuss if they are benched for the next couple of games for fear that they miss the tournament. James and Chilwell are doubts for us and of course Son is likely to be out for the duration too.
  • edited November 2022
    Can’t see him taking 4 centre forwards. Plus Mount will go.

Maguire should be left at home.
    This was a ‘who would you take’ question. Not who do I think Southgate will pick. And Mount is in there.
  • Ramsdale
    Pickford
    Pope

James (if fit)
    Tripper
    Walker
    Stones
    Maguire
    Chilwell
    Shaw
    White
    Dier

Rice
    Bellingham
    Ward Prowse
    Henderson

Foden
    Mount
    Grealish
    Saka
    Sterling
    Maddison

Kane
    Wilson
    Abraham
    Toney

Same for me but i'd do:

Phillips instead of Ward-Prowse
    Rashford instead of Toney 
    If James or Walker aren't fit then TAA.
  • I think you'd probably find most people will pick the same 23-24 players, and then there's a discussion over the last 2-3.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2022
    Will Toney make it?

Does he have enough international experience, bit of a risk, i'd take Rashford, and GS doesn't seem to take a lot of risk, would love Conor G to go, but he's probably not done enough at Chelsea this season.

Again, i'd pick Maddison, but GS doesn't seem to rate him, i'm not convinced on Mason Mount at international level.
  • Ramsdale
    Pickford
    Pope

James (if fit)
    Tripper
    Walker
    Stones
    Maguire
    Chilwell
    Shaw
    White
    Dier

Rice
    Bellingham
    Ward Prowse
    Henderson

Foden
    Mount
    Grealish
    Saka
    Sterling
    Maddison

Kane
    Wilson
    Abraham
    Toney

Same for me but i'd do:

I don't think Phillips has played enough football to go personally. I'd choose JWP or Gallagher ahead of him. 
  • Ramsdale
    Pickford
    Pope

James (if fit)
    Tripper
    Walker
    Stones
    Maguire
    Chilwell
    Shaw
    White
    Dier

Rice
    Bellingham
    Ward Prowse
    Henderson

Foden
    Mount
    Grealish
    Saka
    Sterling
    Maddison

Kane
    Wilson
    Abraham
    Toney

Same for me but i'd do:

I don't think Phillips has played enough football to go personally. I'd choose JWP or Gallagher ahead of him. 
    Has Gallagher really played enough Football this season either?

Its why I'm disappointed he hasnt gone out on loan - Had he done, I think he'd be a dead cert for the squad.
  • Looks like we are running out of defenders. Another 3 weeks and we won't have any.
  • edited November 2022
    horace said:
    Looks like we are running out of defenders. Another 3 weeks and we won't have any.
    Of those being mentioned, only Trippier, White and Dier have been available and started games for the duration of the season to date. The flip side of that is that some will be fresher than they would have been had this been a WC held in the summer.
  • From Wikipedia

Before submitting their final squad for the tournament, teams name a provisional squad of up to 55 players. Teams were required to have their 55-player roster submitted to FIFA by 21 October. They are not required to make this public, although eleven teams have chosen to as of 3 November.Teams must name their final squads by 13 November.In August 2022, FIFA increased the final squad size to 26 players from a total of 23 players at the 2018 edition.

Would be interesting to know who was in Southgate's 55 but i understand why they didn't announce it. I guess it doesn't really matter, if they can still make changes, anyway
  • Ramsdale
    Pickford
    Pope

James (if fit)
    Tripper
    Walker
    Stones
    Maguire
    Chilwell
    Shaw
    White
    Dier

Rice
    Bellingham
    Ward Prowse
    Henderson

Foden
    Mount
    Grealish
    Saka
    Sterling
    Maddison

Kane
    Wilson
    Abraham
    Toney

Same for me but i'd do:

Its why I'm disappointed he hasnt gone out on loan - Had he done, I think he'd be a dead cert for the squad.
    I went with my mate to watch Chelsea last night. Gallagher looks lightyears better than everyone else on the pitch when he came on. He's just so good
  • From Wikipedia

Before submitting their final squad for the tournament, teams name a provisional squad of up to 55 players. Teams were required to have their 55-player roster submitted to FIFA by 21 October. They are not required to make this public, although eleven teams have chosen to as of 3 November.Teams must name their final squads by 13 November.In August 2022, FIFA increased the final squad size to 26 players from a total of 23 players at the 2018 edition.

Would be interesting to know who was in Southgate's 55 but i understand why they didn't announce it. I guess it doesn't really matter, if they can still make changes, anyway
    It must be a struggle to find 55 English players who regularly play and have a realistic chance of making the WC squad. For a start, I believe that we only have probably 4 keepers that do so to pick from?
  • From Wikipedia

It must be a struggle to find 55 English players who regularly play and have a realistic chance of making the WC squad. For a start, I believe that we only have probably 4 keepers that do so to pick from?
    I hope you're not ruling out Scott Carson!
  • From Wikipedia

There was a rumour (on twitter so probably bullshit) that Welbeck was in the 55.

Keepers would probably be Pickford, Pope, Ramsdale, Henderson then maybe Johnstone?
  • Sponsored links:

• From Wikipedia

Search on twitter its on there, sorry cant copy and paste as go on my phone not on my laptop. 
  • Ramsdale
    Pickford
    Pope

James (if fit)
    Tripper
    Walker
    Stones
    Maguire
    Chilwell
    Shaw
    White
    Dier

Rice
    Bellingham
    Ward Prowse
    Henderson

Foden
    Mount
    Grealish
    Saka
    Sterling
    Maddison

Kane
    Wilson
    Abraham
    Toney

Same for me but i'd do:

No he probably hasn't, but still substantially more than Phillips. I think Ward-Prowse deserves to go, Gallagher's time will come. 
  • Ramsdale
    Pickford
    Pope

James (if fit)
    Tripper
    Walker
    Stones
    Maguire
    Chilwell
    Shaw
    White
    Dier

Rice
    Bellingham
    Ward Prowse
    Henderson

Foden
    Mount
    Grealish
    Saka
    Sterling
    Maddison

Kane
    Wilson
    Abraham
    Toney

Same for me but i'd do:

No he probably hasn't, but still substantially more than Phillips. I think Ward-Prowse deserves to go, Gallagher's time will come. 
    The issue is we have a number of talented attacking midfielders, but not many who can play the role Phillips did at the Euro's. So i think if he can prove his fitness (he is back training with City this week) then there's a good chance he goes as we know Southgate likes his favourites.
  • Ramsdale
    Pickford
    Pope

James (if fit)
    Tripper
    Walker
    Stones
    Maguire
    Chilwell
    Shaw
    White
    Dier

Rice
    Bellingham
    Ward Prowse
    Henderson

Foden
    Mount
    Grealish
    Saka
    Sterling
    Maddison

Kane
    Wilson
    Abraham
    Toney

Same for me but i'd do:

The issue is we have a number of talented attacking midfielders, but not many who can play the role Phillips did at the Euro's. So i think if he can prove his fitness (he is back training with City this week) then there's a good chance he goes as we know Southgate likes his favourites.
    I wouldn't be surprised and I make you right about the lack of DM/CM's. Just don't think it would be particularly fair, he's played what 3/4 games all season? 
  • From Wikipedia

There was a rumour (on twitter so probably bullshit) that Welbeck was in the 55.

Keepers would probably be Pickford, Pope, Ramsdale, Henderson then maybe Johnstone?
    That's why I suggested that we do only have 4 keepers who have been regularly playing at the top level - Johnstone has played 90 minutes in the EFL all season and that was on the 23rd August. He can't be selected for any WC squad on the back of that. 
  • Chilwell is out of the world cup. Fingers crossed nothing happens to Shaw in the next week or we'll have a big problem at left back.

Trippier was taken off as a precaution yesterday but posted on twitter that he should be ok.

Not that he was really in the running, but Calvert-Lewin is out as well after going off injured for Everton.

Another good performance from Maddison this weekend. Since the start of last season he has more goals/assists (30) in the premier league than any other English midfielder. 30 is the same as Foden and Grealish combined..........but i'm sure Southgate still won't pick him.
  • Maddison looked great for about an hour yesterday. I’d take him…
  • Ramsdale
    Pickford
    Pope

James (if fit)
    Tripper
    Walker
    Stones
    Maguire
    Chilwell
    Shaw
    White
    Dier

Rice
    Bellingham
    Ward Prowse
    Henderson

Foden
    Mount
    Grealish
    Saka
    Sterling
    Maddison

Kane
    Wilson
    Abraham
    Toney

Same for me but i'd do:

I wouldn't be surprised and I make you right about the lack of DM/CM's. Just don't think it would be particularly fair, he's played what 3/4 games all season? 
    It's not about fairness though surely, it's about picking the best players available. If Kane had played 3 games all season and was coming back to fitness now, would you say it wasn't fair to pick him? If Phillips can play a part in either of City's next 2 games i think he has to make the squad.

Rice is one of the first names on the teamsheet, but apart from Henderson (who hasn't been good this season), who else is there of a decent level who can play a DM role? 
  • I don’t envy Southgate and I’d lean towards a 4-2-3-1 but I think he prefers three at the back. I believe it’s a 55 man squad initially, before being cut down to 26. I’d go for:

Pickford
    Pope
    Henderson

Trippier
    James (if fit)
    Maguire
    Stones
    Gomez
    Dier
    Dunk
    White
    TAA

Phillips (if fit. I know he hasn’t played much but give me over Henderson any day)
    Mount
    Maddison
    Foden
    Sterling
    Rice
    Bellingham
    Bowen
    Saka
    Grealish

Kane
    Toney
    Wilson
    Abraham

Almosts: Harrison, Barnes, Ramsdale, Welbeck.

Starting XI I’d like to see:

Pickford

TAA
    James (if fit)
    Stones
    Trippier

Rice
    Bellingham

Saka
    Maddison
    Foden

Kane

Should have an easy route to the semis if we win the group. Who knows from there. I worry we peaked last summer though. Whatever happens, I just hope we’re not too conservative. It’s a waste of attacking talent.