Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England World Cup Squad

Comments

• Options
    Shame Gomez missed out. 
    Charlton tinted glasses for a few of us. Barring City game doesn't seem to have been very good
    Don't disagree but he has been no worse than Maguire has he..
    No he hasn't and Id love to see Joe Gomez at a world cup but sadly for him his injuries and lack of consistent playing time mean he's behind the likes of Maguire. Maguire is way off form but barring the Germany game he has been fairly solid for England. That will have swayed Southgate. Tomori is one who can definitely feel aggrieved not to get a look in
    Southgate is faithful to prior England performers (for better or worse) which is why Sterling is a guaranteed starter (again, for better or worse).

Agree Tomori was unlucky but no way Southgate was going to chance his arm on playing him regularly at the back ahead of his tried and trusted. I think most quibbles re the squad are fair but very much concern squad players. There are no glaring omissions but a few lucky to be selected/unlucky to miss out on squad berths,
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Concerned he is going to play Foden on right side of three up front.   A position he hardly ever plays for Man City.   He doesn't like it on the right.
    Agree, personally Sterling or Saka on the right, Foden on the left, maybe can bring on Grealish. He might stick Mount on the right as he has done on the odd occasion, but i would prefer he stick people to their original positions with their clubs. 
  • Options
    Has to be Foden on the left and Saka on the right - Sterling is crap.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Pickford
    Trippier, Stones, Dier, Shaw
    Bellingham, Rice, Mount
    Saka Kane Foden

Personally like this, however feels a bit offensive for Gareth

Pickford
    Trippier, Walker, Stones, Dier, Shaw
                 Rice, Bellingham
    Sterling                           Foden
                         Kane

Don't mind this if going with wingbacks/back 3, i am sure the personal will not be the same as above at all, sterling/ Saka i don't really mind.  

Not sure how we fit Maddison unless we go 4231
  • Options
    lots seem surprised that Gallagher made the cut .. he's not the most sophisticated midfielder but you always know that he'll work his socks off when called upon .. be ideal (say) if/when England have a lead and it needs a player to come on and harass and chase the opposition all over the field

One player who'll be sorely missed is Chilwell ..  also, I can't see the attraction of Phippis, BUT Pep paid a lot for him and Southgate likes him .. soooo

• Options
    arny23394 said:
    Has to be Foden on the left and Saka on the right - Sterling is crap.
    You don’t watch much international football do you? 
  • Options
    Looking at that squad its very strong apart from centre back. 
    A bit fucked at left back if Shaw gets injured.

I'm a big advocate for full backs playing on their natural side, and having to move Trippier there would leave us unbalanced.
    Saka came through at Left Back in the Arsenal first-team before moving further up the field.
    I thought that when I saw Saka @ LWB when we played Italy.

Was a failure of an experiment though, can see why it was done but Saka's talent was suffocated out there.
  • Options
    I'd be surprised if Trippier wasn't one of the automatic starters, whether on the left or right.

Been excellent for England and in great form for Newcastle at the moment. Good taker of dead balls too.
    Agree, although in the past i don't feel he does as well on the left, shock... he can be solid but would start a natural LB ahead of him, but him instead of Saka. But what do i know? i am not Southgate so we'll see how many square pegs he puts in round holes. 
  • Options
    Looking at that squad its very strong apart from centre back. 
    A bit fucked at left back if Shaw gets injured.

I'm a big advocate for full backs playing on their natural side, and having to move Trippier there would leave us unbalanced.
    Saka came through at Left Back in the Arsenal first-team before moving further up the field.
    I thought that when I saw Saka @ LWB when we played Italy.

Was a failure of an experiment though, can see why it was done but Saka's talent was suffocated out there.
    He's the best RW that England have. Shouldn't really be moved from that position in my opinion. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2022
    This feels like, and the noise on twitter and here confirms I am not alone, like the 2007 Ashes or Clive Woodward's Lions tour.

The old troops go one last time to relive their greatest achievement and get found out as, many a CL poster would say, yesterday's men.

But it's actually nothing of the sort.  This is a much younger team/squad than it feels.  It's not full of sentiment, 30 somethings trying to do what that once did.

I still think our best chance of winning something are in Germany and the USA and this is just another stop on the road.

The weather, it being in the middle of the European season and all the other noise make this a bit of a lottery but someone has got to win it and it might as well be us.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    My opinion but think with the players available to us right now, as James and Chilwell are both injured, I would say that squad is probably as good as we could’ve hoped for.

People will say about Tomori because he won the league last season with AC Milan, but he’s hardly played for England and his form this season isn’t actually that great. Maguire’s isn’t either, but he’s done it at international level and Southgate trusts him. He wouldn’t start for me, but he’ll start for Southgate and sometimes you have to go with the tried and tested. A brand new defence, or half of a defence, for the World Cup isn’t ideal in any situation.

Gallagher’s inclusion has slightly surprised me, but he certainly offers more to the all round game than Ward-Prowse. Some will say about the lack of minutes for Phillips so why should he be included, but if he’s fit enough, who else is better than him to come in? There’s a reason why Man City paid that much for him so when we can take 26 players, having someone like Phillips in the squad seems like a good option to me.

Overall, am actually quite happy and more excited for the World Cup now the squad has been announced.
    You really dont belong on CharltonLife at times, with these level headed, well thought out posts Sage!!
  • Options
    England managers are always on a hiding to nothing when picking an international squad and Southgate seems to have done virtually as well as he could given the players available. My only criticism such as it is, is that I always think we take too many defenders and would like to see 1 or 2 more forwards. I can't really see the point of taking Phillips for example who has hardly played this season when you already have the likes of Stones, Maguire, Dier & Coady in the squad. I would have taken Toney instead who I think could have added something different, but overall its a decent squad.
  • Options
    Gareth has just played it safe. The sooner he's gone the better. The near successes in our least 2 tournaments were despite Southgate, not because of him
  • Options
    Gareth has just played it safe. The sooner he's gone the better. The near successes in our least 2 tournaments were despite Southgate, not because of him
    Who else is there to take?
  • Options
    Sage said:
    My opinion but think with the players available to us right now, as James and Chilwell are both injured, I would say that squad is probably as good as we could’ve hoped for.

People will say about Tomori because he won the league last season with AC Milan, but he’s hardly played for England and his form this season isn’t actually that great. Maguire’s isn’t either, but he’s done it at international level and Southgate trusts him. He wouldn’t start for me, but he’ll start for Southgate and sometimes you have to go with the tried and tested. A brand new defence, or half of a defence, for the World Cup isn’t ideal in any situation.

Gallagher’s inclusion has slightly surprised me, but he certainly offers more to the all round game than Ward-Prowse. Some will say about the lack of minutes for Phillips so why should he be included, but if he’s fit enough, who else is better than him to come in? There’s a reason why Man City paid that much for him so when we can take 26 players, having someone like Phillips in the squad seems like a good option to me.

Overall, am actually quite happy and more excited for the World Cup now the squad has been announced.
    You really dont belong on CharltonLife at times, with these level headed, well thought out posts Sage!!
    By name, by nature. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who else is there to take?
    Capello, Sven, McLaren, Hoddle, Big Sam, Taylor, Keegan, And the rest of those managers that took us to a World Cup Semi Final and European Championship final…….
  • Options
    Tbf all of those have major tournament experience. I’m not saying I agree but Abraham isn’t exactly a massive miss on the pitch or amongst the camp.
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/zUYRGnYYp8w

Farley can do a good Simon Jordan impression 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    https://youtu.be/zUYRGnYYp8w

Farley can do a good Simon Jordan impression 

• Options
    Issued a trick not taking Aneke as a super sub imo
  • Options
    philcafc said:
    England managers are always on a hiding to nothing when picking an international squad and Southgate seems to have done virtually as well as he could given the players available. My only criticism such as it is, is that I always think we take too many defenders and would like to see 1 or 2 more forwards. I can't really see the point of taking Phillips for example who has hardly played this season when you already have the likes of Stones, Maguire, Dier & Coady in the squad. I would have taken Toney instead who I think could have added something different, but overall its a decent squad.
    You know Phillips is a midfielder don't you?
  • Options
    Doesn't look good for Maddison :-( 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Doesn't look good for Maddison :-( 
    Of course it doesnt!!!
  • Options
    Toney should be there. Travesty he isn't. It's Bent all over again.
  • Options
    Looks like Maddison's OK. Glad to hear it.