Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England World Cup Squad

Comments

• Options
    Feeling a bit excited for it now the squads out, booked a table in the pub  for the USA game! 
  • Options
    Shame Gomez missed out. 
  • Options
    Shame Gomez missed out. 
    Not overly surprised to be honest... 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    When you see that squad in writing it doesn't fill me with confidence that we have a chance of winning it but then I don't know who could be added who'd change that. That said been plenty of great squads on paper for various countries that don't end up winning the tournament. Need a bit of good fortune and bravery from Southgate to do well. More chance of the former though!
  • Options
    A squad that should do well, only weak area imo is the defensive options so we will be fine until we meet a decent team and we go 1-0 up and the muppet tries to defend the lead 
  • Options
    You'd expect to see the below for most of the Tournament

Pickford
    Walker - Stones - Maguire
    Alexander-Arnold - Bellingham - Rice - Shaw
    Foden - Kane - Sterling
  • Options
    He'll play 3 at the back in the big games hence him picking White. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When you see that squad in writing it doesn't fill me with confidence that we have a chance of winning it but then I don't know who could be added who'd change that. That said been plenty of great squads on paper for various countries that don't end up winning the tournament. Need a bit of good fortune and bravery from Southgate to do well. More chance of the former though!
    I am no Southgate fan but I think the England squad has really deteriorated over the past couple of years. Now it looks solid but relatively average. Southgate's cautious approach is probably best suited to this kind of squad. If we don't concede many, we are liable to score one goal in most games which is how to approach tournament football rather than expansive football that tends to win you leagues. So, we could squeak through to about semis at very best given the look of the draw.

Once we face the big boys we need to pray for a lucky run because we will be outclassed. Never say never after Greece in 04 (and we're considerably more talented than them)...but it is kind of clutching at straws. 

On balance I think we'll head out in QF.
  • Options
    Shame Gomez missed out. 
    Charlton tinted glasses for a few of us. Barring City game doesn't seem to have been very good
    Don't disagree but he has been no worse than Maguire has he..
  • Options
    a decent squad though the defence (as expected) looks potentially shaky whoever plays .. several very good selections, Wilson, Maddison, White, Rashford .. a more adventurous selection than I anticipated ,, all the best in the desert chaps, do an SAS job for the fans back home  :)
  • Options
    What a few years CG has had ! Gwan that lad
  • Options
    Sancho not involved and not mentioned at all on sky sports.

An 80million signing can't even get in the squad 
  • Options
    Surprised Gallagher made it.

Pleased for White, Maddison and Wilson as it shows that form does get you somewhere.
  • Options
    Surprised Gallagher made it.

Pleased for White, Maddison and Wilson as it shows that form does get you somewhere.

And so it should

The sven days are far back in the past!
  • Options
    I don’t know, if I look at England’s midfield options up against the combined might of Gunter, Williams, Smith and Levitt I’d be quaking in my boots………..
  • Options
    Kalvin Phillips is really the only player I definitely wouldn't take. 
  • Options
    Kalvin Phillips is really the only player I definitely wouldn't take. 
    Yeah he is very lucky, but considering that spot is behind Rice, Bellingham, Mount and Hendo im not really that bothered.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't know what the back 4, back 3/5 will be.

Just leave maguire on the bench and only bring him on if need be.

It's a shame his club career has eroded, but England will need players that are fully match fit and ready for the games. 
  • Options
    Looking at that squad its very strong apart from centre back. 
  • Options
    A bit fucked at left back if Shaw gets injured.

I'm a big advocate for full backs playing on their natural side, and having to move Trippier there would leave us unbalanced.
  • Options

I'm a big advocate for full backs playing on their natural side, and having to move Trippier there would leave us unbalanced.
    Definitely unlucky that Chilwell is out. That's forced his hand somewhat. 

Reasonable squad. Maddison is in, as is Wilson. That's going with form. Sterling probably merits his place based on the last tournament, so don't mind that loyalty too much. Disagree with him on Maguire, though. Tomori should be there. But at least Maguire will be fresh! 
  • Options
                    Pope
    Trippier Walker Stones Shaw
                   Rice
       Bellingham Maddison
    Saka       Kane         Foden
  • Options
    Shame Gomez missed out. 
    Charlton tinted glasses for a few of us. Barring City game doesn't seem to have been very good
    No he hasn't and Id love to see Joe Gomez at a world cup but sadly for him his injuries and lack of consistent playing time mean he's behind the likes of Maguire. Maguire is way off form but barring the Germany game he has been fairly solid for England. That will have swayed Southgate. Tomori is one who can definitely feel aggrieved not to get a look in
  • Options

Saka came through at Left Back in the Arsenal first-team before moving further up the field.
  • Options
    Shame Gomez missed out. 
    No he hasn't and Id love to see Joe Gomez at a world cup but sadly for him his injuries and lack of consistent playing time mean he's behind the likes of Maguire. Maguire is way off form but barring the Germany game he has been fairly solid for England. That will have swayed Southgate. Tomori is one who can definitely feel aggrieved not to get a look in
    Gave up on Maguire for England in the Denmark game where he was sent off after the most shambolic CB performance I've seen since Tom Hovi's ill-fated debut. Nothing I've seen since has convinced me he's one of the best 3-4 CB's in the country.
  • Options
    Incredible Dan Burn didn't get in as  CB/LB Cover, literally the best defence in the prem in the last 10 plus games and he's been superb, crazy decision. 

Pretty much expected squad, surprised by CG inclusion personally, still on paper we have a good enough squad to beat anyone just how we perform and set up. 

Do not put Saka LB /LWB if Shaw gets injured, equally wont be happy with Trippier there but suppose thats the only option now, fingers crossed Luke Shaw is up to it.
  • Options
    Concerned he is going to play Foden on right side of three up front.   A position he hardly ever plays for Man City.   He doesn't like it on the right.