Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England World Cup Squad

Comments

• Options
    You're taking Gomez, Dier and Dunk........but no left back?

No Kyle Walker?

4 centre forwards when at best 1 will get a few minutes if Kane is subbed off.
  • Options
    Ramsdale
    Pickford
    Pope

James (if fit)
    Tripper
    Walker
    Stones
    Maguire
    Chilwell
    Shaw
    White
    Dier

Rice
    Bellingham
    Ward Prowse
    Henderson

Foden
    Mount
    Grealish
    Saka
    Sterling
    Maddison

Kane
    Wilson
    Abraham
    Toney

Would be mine (it is 26 right?)
    Same for me but i'd do:

Phillips instead of Ward-Prowse
    Rashford instead of Toney 
    If James or Walker aren't fit then TAA.
    I don't think Phillips has played enough football to go personally. I'd choose JWP or Gallagher ahead of him. 
    Has Gallagher really played enough Football this season either?

Its why I'm disappointed he hasnt gone out on loan - Had he done, I think he'd be a dead cert for the squad.
    No he probably hasn't, but still substantially more than Phillips. I think Ward-Prowse deserves to go, Gallagher's time will come. 
    The issue is we have a number of talented attacking midfielders, but not many who can play the role Phillips did at the Euro's. So i think if he can prove his fitness (he is back training with City this week) then there's a good chance he goes as we know Southgate likes his favourites.
    I wouldn't be surprised and I make you right about the lack of DM/CM's. Just don't think it would be particularly fair, he's played what 3/4 games all season? 
    It's not about fairness though surely, it's about picking the best players available. If Kane had played 3 games all season and was coming back to fitness now, would you say it wasn't fair to pick him? If Phillips can play a part in either of City's next 2 games i think he has to make the squad.

Rice is one of the first names on the teamsheet, but apart from Henderson (who hasn't been good this season), who else is there of a decent level who can play a DM role? 
    Which Phillips hasn't been. You're probably right though, he'll get picked because there is nobody else available. 
  • Options
    You're taking Gomez, Dier and Dunk........but no left back?

No Kyle Walker?

4 centre forwards when at best 1 will get a few minutes if Kane is subbed off.
    Trippier and White can both play left back. Yes I’d take Walker but only if he’s fit. 
  • Options
    Pickford
    Ramsdale
    Pope

Trippier
    James
    Walker
    Stones
    Dier
    Maguire
    Tomori
    Shaw

Rice
    Henderson
    Ward-Prowse
    Bellingham
    Mount
    Grealish
    Maddison

Kane
    Abraham
    Sterling
    Foden
    Sancho
    Saka
    Rashford
    Toney
  • Options
    Pickford
    Ramsdale
    Pope

Trippier
    James
    Walker
    Stones
    Dier
    Maguire
    Tomori
    Shaw

Rice
    Henderson
    Ward-Prowse
    Bellingham
    Mount
    Grealish
    Maddison

Kane
    Abraham
    Sterling
    Foden
    Sancho
    Saka
    Rashford
    Toney
    No Stockley?
  • Options
    Chuks off the bench would be a good option 
  • Options
    Announcement at 2pm this afternoon...
  • Options
    No Ivan Toney in the England squad
  • Options
    No Ivan Toney in the England squad

He was probably 50/50 to go anyway but given he is the subject of an ongoing betting investigation by the F A, I can't help thinking that this might have tipped the balance against him. Shame because I think he offers something both different and unexpected given his lack of exposure on the international stage. 
  • Options
    Apparently no Tammy Abraham either, interesting to see who we take as back up to Kane?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rashford I guess is probably the answer as to who we'll take.
  • Options
    Rashford I guess is probably the answer as to who we'll take.
    I think Wilson as well.
  • Options
    Apparently no Tammy Abraham either, interesting to see who we take as back up to Kane?
    Wilson?
  • Options
    Not surprised at Abraham really, he's been poor this season so to me doesn't deserve to go ahead of Wilson.

If Wilson isn't going either then no idea what Southgate is up to.
  • Options
    Buttler
    Hales
    Salt
    Stokes
    Ali
    Brook
    Livingstone
    Curran
    Woakes
    Wood
    Rashid

• Options
    I’d take Maddison, our best no.10

Toney V Wilson is tough, Wilson is a different type forward to Kane so for that reason probably go with him. 
  • Options
    If Maddison doesn’t go it’s an absolute travesty 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Does Maddison fit into the formation though? 

We play a 5-2-3/3-4-3 and he wouldn't fit in. 

We don't play with #10s
  • Options
    Perhaps having the ability to switch things up might help.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Maddison doesn’t go it’s an absolute travesty 
    I agree he has to go on form over the past season and a half, but to be honest i don't think it makes much difference anyway. Southgate just doesn't seem to like him so i'd expect him to only get about 10 minutes all tournament if that, even if he does go.
  • Options
    I'd take Kane and Wilson, and throw in Sterling, Rashford, Foden, Mount, Saka, Maddison and Grealish as the attacking players. Rice, Phillips, Ward -Prowse, Bellingham and Henderson as the midfielders, Shaw, James, Trippier and Chilwell if fit as the full backs, Dier, Stones, White, Maguire and Walker as the centre backs and Pope, Ramsdale and Pickford as the keepers. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    I'd take Kane and Wilson, and throw in Sterling, Rashford, Foden, Mount, Saka, Maddison and Grealish as the attacking players. Rice, Phillips, Ward -Prowse, Bellingham and Henderson as the midfielders, Shaw, James, Trippier and Chilwell if fit as the full backs, Dier, Stones, White, Maguire and Walker as the centre backs and Pope, Ramsdale and Pickford as the keepers. 
    Already confirmed as not going.
  • Options
    His obsession with Mount baffles me a bit.  Good player, but I just don’t see him as effective 

I think we’ll struggle for goals overall. It’s going to be a funny WC though given timing and location.  I think there will be a lot of odd results 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    His obsession with Mount baffles me a bit.  Good player, but I just don’t see him as effective 

I think we’ll struggle for goals overall. It’s going to be a funny WC though given timing and location.  I think there will be a lot of odd results 
    I find this a very strange one, he has always been reliable for England and not really done alot wrong. For Chelsea he is their consistent cog in the middle, he plays a slightly different role for club/country, but for me he gets alot of stick when he is consistent, a goal threat/playmaker. Would play in a middle 3 but wouldn't really play him on the wing like he has been used in the past. 

No brainer for the squad, 50/50 starter depending on our formation. 
  • Options
    Mount drifts in and out of games a bit... A much superior version of Morgan in some ways - I mean I dont remember him involved or doing a thing against Italy in the Euro 2020 Final - But he showed how he can impact a game when he came on against Germany in the last match
  • Options
    Think people generally go over the top on like who our end options in the squad are who never play, but sounds like no Sessegnon and no natural left back cover for Shaw who isn't exactly a bastian of fitness seems an odd one...

Sounds like that spot may be given to Gallagher instead.
  • Options
    Sky Sports are saying that Callum Wilson is in the team - Feels a bit of a Darius Vassell type inclusion

Although has been doing well of late
  • Options
    Sterling is someone that gets in on England form alone. 

Looking at his performances for Chelsea so far this season he wouldn't be close to making it in.