Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Woolwich

Comments

• Leuth said:
    Going to the Dial Arch or the Guard House when the Woolwich Equitable is right there is absurd imo. Two nastily gussied-up troughs for the riverside development set versus a place with character and decent beer 
    They used to only have one beer option on.
    Do they still wait till one barrel of beer gets used up before they put on a new one?
     They had the label on the other pump as if showing what you could be having if you stay around long enough. 

Plus a pub that doesn't open for daytime drinking has no right to get any plaudits. 
  • I saw the Rolling Stones there in January 1964, The Ronettes were also on the bill. Sadly I never kept the programme and can’t remember who the other supporting acts were.
  • I saw the Rolling Stones there in January 1964, The Ronettes were also on the bill. Sadly I never kept the programme and can’t remember who the other supporting acts were.
    Wow! I so envy you.
  • clive said:
    Belvedere  is a proper village....it has 7 mens hairdressers and 7 pubs and 4 churches. 
    I can only count 6 Pubs? 
     The Village Inn, The Fox, The Standard,
    The Victoria, The Prince of Wales,  The Eardley and The Great Harry. 

Plus at the bottom,  The Half Way House. 

As of April this was true. 

Suggest all those who suggested I was drunk at the time go on a drive yo test their eye sight. 

I am not talking about Belvedere per se but the village, for many still known as Nuxley Village.

The Great Harry is not in the village and sadly closes for good on 7 August.

The Half Way House again is not in the village. 
    Why did The Great Harry close? I presume the site will become lots of flats.
    I was also there and like your self cant remember who else was on the bill.
  • Dont forget the late great Buddy Holly who also played there .
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-rolling-stones/1964/granada-cinema-woolwich-england-3bc72800.html

https://www.bradfordtimeline.co.uk/mindex64a.htm

The Rolling Stones
    The Ronettes
    Dave Berry & The Cruisers
    Marty Wilde & The Wildcats
    Swinging Blue Jeans
    The Cheynes
    Al Paige (compere)

• fadgadget said:
    Dont forget the late great Buddy Holly who also played there .
    with Des O'Connor!!!

http://www.45worlds.com/live/listing/buddy-holly-and-the-crickets-granada-cinema-woolwich-1958

• Sponsored links:

• Sweet Jesus, 5 or 6 years older  and I might have got to those gigs.
    Imagine seeing Buddy, The Beatles or the Stones at your local Granada and not on some giant corporate stadium tour taking a second mortgage on a ticket and peering sideways at dots on a stage miles away, or watching the whole thing on a screen ffs.
    and Roy Orbison!
  • edited November 2021
    stonemuse said:
    fadgadget said:
    Dont forget the late great Buddy Holly who also played there .
    with Des O'Connor!!!

http://www.45worlds.com/live/listing/buddy-holly-and-the-crickets-granada-cinema-woolwich-1958

I Believe Des was gifted one of Buddys Guitars at the end of the tour

• Bill Haley at the Odeon in Nov 79, I'm sure my mum went to this.

• First gig Siouxsie & 
    The Banshees 
    Woolwich Odeon 1981 
    Me too.
  • First gig Siouxsie & 
    The Banshees 
    Woolwich Odeon 1981 
    Wasn’t my first gig - but one I went to as well. I think John Cooper Clarke was support?
  • 1st gig the Who and Alex Harvey at the valley. 
  • Outside Poundland. 0940 today.
  • iainment said:
    Outside Poundland. 0940 today.
    Looks well fed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fags or Pizza - like a new album name!
  • iainment said:
    Not surprised. Suspect the fox will be pleased to be in an area where it will be safe from being chased by groups of armed men and dangerous dogs.
  • iainment said:
    Not surprised. Suspect the fox will be pleased to be in an area where it will be safe from being chased by groups of armed men and dangerous dogs.
    The way everyone bangs on in this thread, Woolwich is a 24/7 warzone though
  • yeah between humans, keeps the fox chasers away as they are busy/elsewhere
  • What strikes me the most about those images is the amount of chewing gum just cast onto the ground. It’s such a blight and a really disgusting habit when after you’ve chewed you throw it onto the ground. The damned stuff is literally everywhere. Personally I’d ban it or tax it out of use. 
  • As you will know some scenes of the film Blowup with David were filmed in Maryon Park. Did anyone see the filming.
    Granada Woolwich, I saw Gene Vincent and Brenda Lee there dont remember the year, I would think early sixties. Still have the programme,but no date as it was a tour.
  • Derek1952 said:
    As you will know some scenes of the film Blowup with David were filmed in Maryon Park. Did anyone see the filming.
    Granada Woolwich, I saw Gene Vincent and Brenda Lee there dont remember the year, I would think early sixties. Still have the programme,but no date as it was a tour.

I was at art college in Bromley in the mid 1960's, one of the girls in the laundromat scene in Blowup was one of the students there.

She used to get work as a film extra at £15 a day, a lot of money in those days.
  • @Stig Royal Arsenal Coop RAC
    Royal Arsenal Cooperative Society (RACS).
    My mum worked for them for 35 years.
    I still remember my mum's six-digit number you had to quote to put the purchase towards her dividend!! Life was so simple then!!
    Back in the 1960's I lived with my nan for a while in Abbey Wood near the RACS on Mcleod road and I too can still remember the number she needed for her stamps! For some strange reason I can also remember my granddads 1963 British racing green Ford Zephyr 4's number plate. Strange how odd remnants from your childhood stick in your memory
    I can remember all my old man's reg numbers, the first being his Sutherland Green Austin Cambridge (191 CLD). I still have to go back and check ours when I have to put it into a parking machine. Most people just don't have the connection they used to have with their cars now. When my missus managed to scrape all down the side of ours a few weeks ago it was just a case of "f**k it, let the insurance sort it out" My old man would have been gutted, partly because he'd have felt stupid doing it but mainly because he'd damaged his pride and joy.
    Was going through some old photos yesterday and found a picture of the old man’s Cambridge.

• @Stig Royal Arsenal Coop RAC
    Royal Arsenal Cooperative Society (RACS).
    My mum worked for them for 35 years.
    I still remember my mum's six-digit number you had to quote to put the purchase towards her dividend!! Life was so simple then!!
    Back in the 1960's I lived with my nan for a while in Abbey Wood near the RACS on Mcleod road and I too can still remember the number she needed for her stamps! For some strange reason I can also remember my granddads 1963 British racing green Ford Zephyr 4's number plate. Strange how odd remnants from your childhood stick in your memory
    I can remember all my old man's reg numbers, the first being his Sutherland Green Austin Cambridge (191 CLD). I still have to go back and check ours when I have to put it into a parking machine. Most people just don't have the connection they used to have with their cars now. When my missus managed to scrape all down the side of ours a few weeks ago it was just a case of "f**k it, let the insurance sort it out" My old man would have been gutted, partly because he'd have felt stupid doing it but mainly because he'd damaged his pride and joy.
    Was going through some old photos yesterday and found a picture of the old man’s Cambridge.

my second car was this one's brother, the Oxford .. VERY comfortable car
  • Belvedere in 1955 was very much a village.  The police station has now been replaced with a block of flats.