Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton TV - free end of season show Tues 18th May 7pm (p7)

Comments

• For worldwide streaming to be a viable source of revenue, you surely have to have a live experience that those watching at home wish they could be part of. If crowds stay away to watch at home, the quality of experience, and football will mean that people won't bother tuning in. If we want to make money from streaming, we'll need to invest in really packing out the stadium and focusing the broadcasts around what being there in person means, to the club and the supporters.

• As my old Chairman used to say to me, no point aiming unless you aim high!
    Yes, don't let the negative people drag you down. There are so many of them, you can't do this, you can't do that and when you do, they hate you for it!
  • clb74 said:
    I would charge £20 for a stream or let's say £400 for a streaming S/T and see what happens, then take it from there.
    To go from £10 to £20 in one go is too big a step. All you will do as @ShootersHillGuru says is drive people to use illegal streams. And whereas this year l have bought a stream no bad how we were playing, I'd start picking and choosing a bit more next year if it goes to £20.

A small increase next year, maybe to £12, would probably be acceptable to most. A yearly increase after that will let you get to a price more in line with your thoughts. 
    So you want to pay less than someone going to the game.?
    Clearly you need to look at the cost of match tickets and streaming holistically. And that is a piece of work that requires some serious market research and economic modelling in the light of your objectives and the fact that the 2 experiences - live in the ground and watching on computer - are very different, not 2 blokes throwing some figures around on the internet.

If you were around then, cast your mind back to 1983 when ITV first got the rights to show about a dozen live games. The papers carried article after article saying it would be the death of people going to games. Can you imagine if sites like this had existed then - they would have gone into freefall! 40 years later attendances have actually boomed despite blanket live coverage of games. Streaming is just the next step in the chain and if handled properly can provide another valuable financial resource for the club that can maybe mean we will be able to sign a Stockley rather than a Bogle in future.
    If you make the stream /season tickets too cheap less people will go to the games.
    I'm in 2 minds about a season ticket.
    Last season ticket I had was in league one , missed 5 home games.
    If there was an option that I didn't have to go to the game and could exchange for the stream I would miss at least a couple more games.
    Imo no matter what's decided it shouldn't have an impact on people actually attending the games.
  • Was the overall verdict were happy to pay £20 a stream?
  • The problem with away trips is it can be quite expensive and take up the whole day. Not such a problem when you are young and are going for a day out with your mates, but when you get responsibilities it gets harder to justify. I would imagine those that enjoy away trips won't see Valley Pass or I follow as an alternative. Week night trips to Rotherham are even harder to justify.

I can see how there may be a negative pressure on home games though but money to be made for away games. This is probably the big issue to solve. If say, fans can only watch away games, legally. What is to stop them piggy backing on the away streams to watch their team at home? Maybe the solution is to sell the games as an away season ticket only or even in groups of four or five. I wouldn't fancy paying for all Crewe's away games just to watch the Valley game. 
    Going to Rotherham ever is hard to justify.
    There are 3 Weatherspoons in Rotherham.
    Really? 
    I remember two but a third!!..... what a great town
  • Yes watch it 7pm on Tuesday 18th may for free.
  • edited May 2021
    clb74 said:
    Was the overall verdict were happy to pay £20 a stream?
    The problem is, with the numbers involved, it doesn't matter what we think.  You would imagine the first target will be to find the maximum numbers at the current price point. Maybe some adaptions could be made like only one stream per payment, which might increase numbers. Then when we think we are at the top of that, try to identify the best price in terms of bringing the club the most revenue. That may not be £20. It could even be £7.
  • Looking forward to Tuesday's programme. Perhaps this thread should be a sticky so that people don't miss it. Also

As well as the interviews, Minto, Curbishley and Brown will look back at this season and will also take time to answer fans’ questions. To send in a question for the trio, please email charltontv@cafc.co.uk.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks for making this a sticky!
  • The problem with away trips is it can be quite expensive and take up the whole day. Not such a problem when you are young and are going for a day out with your mates, but when you get responsibilities it gets harder to justify. I would imagine those that enjoy away trips won't see Valley Pass or I follow as an alternative. Week night trips to Rotherham are even harder to justify.

I can see how there may be a negative pressure on home games though but money to be made for away games. This is probably the big issue to solve. If say, fans can only watch away games, legally. What is to stop them piggy backing on the away streams to watch their team at home? Maybe the solution is to sell the games as an away season ticket only or even in groups of four or five. I wouldn't fancy paying for all Crewe's away games just to watch the Valley game. 
    Going to Rotherham ever is hard to justify.
    There are 3 Weatherspoons in Rotherham.
    Really? 
    I remember two but a third!!..... what a great town
    An absolute dump of a place!☹️
  • As its on YouTube will it be avaliable "forever" or only watchable live? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    As its on YouTube will it be avaliable "forever" or only watchable live? 
    Should imagine it'll be available afterwards as well...

You can still watch the full U18 game from yesterday for example
  • edited May 2021
    Very interesting debate with the different views.

In the ideal world you would pay £20 for a stream and £18 to watch at the ground in  League 1 but with incentives to buy food, drink, club shop which would be in house and give much needed revenue to Charlton athletic under Thomas Sandgaard's tenure.

The spanner in the works is the streams independent to Valley pass.
    Complicated to get the price to dovetail between admission at the ground and watching from the sofa( No not that sofa !)

I agree the life blood of football is having fans at the ground. The reason the cup final in the second half was so good was not only a brilliant goal and saves but the underdogs won their first ever FA cup win after losing their 4 other finals. Seeing Vardy asking the fans for even more was fantastic. We need fans in the ground but what yesterday showed they don't have to be Jam packed to have an atmosphere.

The match yesterday even at 0-0 second half sounded a better atmosphere than Old Trafford with 70+thousand sitting on their hands. 

Chelsea losing should always be celebrated. ( Smashing up the valley, you Bastards we will never forgive) 
  • I agree with the original post, the coverage has been amazing and as a leeds based addick it has been years since I have seen so many matches. Can’t wait to get back to normal though but would be great if we could access some matches without impacting the attendances too much as that is really what football should be all about!!
  • edited May 2021
    I hope it continues otherwise I’ll end up having to get my football fix from local teams to me like Bolton, Salford or Rochdale now...I’d rather my money and time go into Charlton 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • edited May 2021
    These are very quick basic calculations to give an idea what could be possible and won't stand up to minute scrutiny I'm sure. I am just trying to get a feel of how viable this all is. Let's imagine at some point we could fill our home allocation of @ 24k with season tickets amounting to £5 per game (no concessions, just £5 a game). That would give us £2,760,000. If the current average season ticket is around the £450 mark, that gives us £5,650,000, If we sell @ 10k, £4,500,000 plus about 2.5k match day ticket sales at an average of £20 giving us an additional £1,150,00. 

The discount season tickets leaves us with a potential shortfall of £2,890,000. I'm not sure what the difference would be between a full Valley and a half full one in terms of matchday sales and that would need quantifying. But forgetting that, If the club sold 7k Charlton TV passes at £10 a pass, over a season this would amount to @£3,220,000. Of course that includes away games, and there would need to be a consideration payed to our opponents, but with these rough and ready figures, you can see the pathway for profit isn't totally pie in the sky.

An advantage going forwards is that the Valley capacity will always limit earnings, but there isn't a capacity on streaming. If you could build the club, doubling streams to 14k would bring in £6,440,000 and reaching 20k would bring in £9,200,000.

Now there is a strong possibility my quick and rough maths are totally wrong. And I am assuming a lot, like filling the Valley makes the streaming product more attractive. A cynical approach might be to forget the East Stand (which won't appear on the stream).
    It’s closer to £200, maybe £250 at a stretch. Only about half of sales are to adults and all prices include VAT. So for example a £260 adult season ticket brings in £216.66 - there will be a lot more at the cheaper end than at £575 (worth £478.16).

The dearest U18 ticket is £135 (worth £112.50 to the club) and the U11 tickets are £60 (worth £50). If these account for, say, 20% of all season tickets you can start to see why the average yield plunges.

I doubt you would sell 7k stream packages every game or that the club would retain all the revenue from away games, but regardless the VAT man would want his cut of £1.67 a time.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd like to see them sell games in batches of three. I think that will make it affordable for more fans than one big payment.
  • Hope the preseason games will be on Charlton tv?
  • As an aside Man City are taking out 1100 seats in their ground, and ‘re homing’ fans, around the ground, so they can get bigger digital advertising boards around the pitch.

I know we’re no where near that kind of stuff, at the moment, but it ties in with the guy is it Wayne Mumford , who works for us who did overseas digital deals for Man City previously I think?
  • Charlton TV has been brilliant this season, even if at times the football hasn’t.

Sure there’s been some dodgy moments, camera angles, drilling etc but I’d be up for buying a stream for away games, even if they sold it as a season ticket, although it may prohibitive for a lot of people due to cost.

The cost of time, petrol driving around the country, or getting a train or staying in accommodation is exorbitant, and I certainly don’t have the energy, funds or time to do this for every away game.

Ive defiantly watched more of Charlton home and away this season than ever before.

Even if I bought a Charlton TV season ticket, I’d still go to the odd away game, new ground, break away, visiting family etc, you can’t beat the atmosphere of being at a match.

Thanks again Thomas for Charlton TV!

And this is what it will come down to Mendonca.
    If its £10 for an away stream less people will go to the further away games because they can just plot up in front of the tele and switch a button.

• As an aside Man City are taking out 1100 seats in their ground, and ‘re homing’ fans, around the ground, so they can get bigger digital advertising boards around the pitch.

I know we’re no where near that kind of stuff, at the moment, but it ties in with the guy is it Wayne Mumford , who works for us who did overseas digital deals for Man City previously I think?
    I think Wayne was basically in the business of selling products to football clubs rather than doing deals for them.
  • clb74 said:
    Charlton TV has been brilliant this season, even if at times the football hasn’t.

Sure there’s been some dodgy moments, camera angles, drilling etc but I’d be up for buying a stream for away games, even if they sold it as a season ticket, although it may prohibitive for a lot of people due to cost.

The cost of time, petrol driving around the country, or getting a train or staying in accommodation is exorbitant, and I certainly don’t have the energy, funds or time to do this for every away game.

Ive defiantly watched more of Charlton home and away this season than ever before.

Even if I bought a Charlton TV season ticket, I’d still go to the odd away game, new ground, break away, visiting family etc, you can’t beat the atmosphere of being at a match.

If its £10 for an away stream less people will go to the further away games because they can just plot up in front of the tele and switch a button.

Can't speak for everybody but I'd still go, love the atmosphere too much of a solid away performance , something you just can't get on a stream. 
  • LTKapal said:
    clb74 said:
    Charlton TV has been brilliant this season, even if at times the football hasn’t.

Can't speak for everybody but I'd still go, love the atmosphere too much of a solid away performance , something you just can't get on a stream. 
    I agree.
    But if they start to do streams for away games for £10 whether it be 1 ,2 or 5 I'd be doing fewer away games.