Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

E-Scooters

Should shops take more precaution when selling these?

Obviously its illegal to ride these on roads and pavements and only supposed to be used on private areas, yet so many of these are being used on public roads and pavements.

Police have apparently been told they can seize them if they catch someone but it hasnt really stopped the issue.

Today I went out for some Tier 4 fresh air and almost got knocked over by 4 different people riding these on pavements, they are so dangerous, one kid was dancing to music and swerving all over the place whilst riding it.

Comments

• Now I am not saying there is an easy solution, but can shops that sell these not have a Land Registry account and before they sell them findout if the person owns private property and if not refuse to sell them?
    Obviously people will say they are buying for someone with private property but then the shop can say well they have to purchase it themselves.

As I say not a great solution but something needs to be done before it gets even more out of hand
  • Have almost hit 2 of these, surely people should need a licence, they are lethal!
  • There are even some with a seat which effectively makes them a motor scooter.

I've only ever seen City of London Police taking action (as they do with cyclists going through red lights).
  • Hundreds of electric scooters are set to be trialled on Tyneside in an effort to get people out of their cars, a council has said.

Subject to government approval, 250 will arrive in Newcastle early in 2021 with that number increasing as the year-long scheme progresses.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-55398103

• I saw London were talking about trialling a system like the Boris Bikes, but to get one u would need a license and insurance which makes a bit more sense than at present any tom dick or harry speeding down the pavement on one
  • One of these almost knocked me off my bike a little while ago. The dozy sod was in his late 40's which goes against the young chav stereotype.
  • Crusty54 said:
    There are even some with a seat which effectively makes them a motor scooter.

I've only ever seen City of London Police taking action (as they do with cyclists going through red lights).
    Yeah cant say I have seen the police take action, but read somewhere that they are being told they can seize them as it is illegal.

Its gonna be worse in the new year, think how many are currently sat under Christmas Trees waiting to be unwrapped 
  • Expect a glut of these on the pavements and roads next week after the pressies are opened.
    The Police should target these for a week like they do cyclists in Greenwich.
    A piano wire strung 6ft high across the pavement  o:)
  • They've talked about making them legal soon - but only on a hire basis.  So owning one and using on pubic roads will still be illegal.  I think if they could be authorised and managed properly they could be OK - but all the time the government sticks its head in the sand - it will only get worse.  They won't go away. 
  • They should be licensed and insured and for road use only.

Sooner or later, someone is going to get taken out and the rider will be trying to claim off the pedestrian
  • Sponsored links:

• One of these almost knocked me off my bike a little while ago. The dozy sod was in his late 40's which goes against the young chav stereotype.
    Most of them where I live are driven by young black guys & they are fucking crazy. Sooner or later somebody will be killed, the other day one of them came hurtling down the road & did a sharp right cutting across in front of a bus which had to slam the brakes on to avoid hitting the idiot. If they are illegal then they should be banned. Almost every single day in Lewisham / Greenwich I see at least one but obviously the police don't think it's worth the trouble & I'm sure they have more important things to worry about.
  • E scooters are dangerous but nothing will be done regardless of whether they are illegal are not. If you get hit by one or they cause an accident on the road they won't be held liable.

The people who use them are invariably knobheads.
  • edited December 2020
    Saw a friend of mine couple of months ago. He'd just bought his boy one for well over £500 !!

My first thoughts were, someone's bound to try an nick it. Saw him again the other day. Sure enough, two kids had sidled up to him with a knife and had it away.

My old man wouldn't have dreamt of letting me wander about the streets in anything remotely valuable as a 13/14 year old. Ok I had my bike but I don't think that broke the bank.
    Kids now are whizzing about on £500 scooters with a £700,800,900? iPhone in their pocket.

'Asking for it' springs to mind.

• Saw a friend of mine couple of months ago. He'd just bought his boy one for well over £500 !!

My first thoughts were, someone's bound to try an nick it. Saw him again the other day. Sure enough, two kids had sidled up to him with a knife and had it away.

My old man wouldn't have dreamt of letting me wander about the streets in anything remotely valuable as a 13/14 year old. Ok I had my bike but I don't think that broke the bank.
    Kids now are whizzing about on £500 scooters with a £700,800,900? iPhone in their pocket.

'Asking for it' springs to mind.

The risk of getting robbed is a big issue but it's also such a lazy way of getting around. You see fat kids on them and you wonder what on earth their parents were thinking.
  • Not as bloody annoying as these

https://eriderbikes.com/electric-bikes/model-21-electric-bike/

My son had a 16yo on one of these ride into the back of his car and crack the bumper in Eltham.  Legal to ride on road at 14, no licence required, no insurance required, on the website they even promote the fact that you can't be breathalysed if you ride one....
  • Police are doing sod all about these. Forget it, the OB have better things to do.
  • I hate them, and ebikes.

I fear they will be a big Xmas pressie item this year though.

It’ll get worse.
  • CatAddick said:
    Not as bloody annoying as these

https://eriderbikes.com/electric-bikes/model-21-electric-bike/

My son had a 16yo on one of these ride into the back of his car and crack the bumper in Eltham.  Legal to ride on road at 14, no licence required, no insurance required, on the website they even promote the fact that you can't be breathalysed if you ride one....
    Bet the owner of one of these feels invincible and above the law reading that website!

• Anyone 14 years or older can ride the E RIDER Model 21 on the road
    • Younger riders may use the Model 21 off road
    • The E RIDER Model 21 is not subject to Vehicle Excise Duty
    • A driving licence is not required to operate the bike
    • The E RIDER Model 21 does not require an MOT
    • Insurance is not legally required
      • The E RIDER Model 21 does not need to be registered with the DVLA
      • It may be used in bus lanes and on cycle paths
      • A helmet is not legally required
      • It is not liable to parking fines or congestion charges
      • The operator of an E RIDER Model 21 is not required to provide a breath or blood sample
  • Sponsored links:

• In my experience, most of the riders seem to be exactly the sort of people who most definitely shouldn't have one!
  • To go against the grain somewhat I have one.  I used it in France on holiday this year and I’ve used it to take my son to school (up a private road most of the way).
    I never ride it on the pavement and always give pedestrians a wide berth.

I got it because it’s a bit of fun and, in the right hands, very safe.  I had a dodgy knee in the summer and this was how I got around on holiday so it was worth it for that reason

I would insure it if I could but nobody is insuring them (well they weren't when I last looked).  It’s a bit off a joke that the police say you have to insure it but no insurance companies accept them.

Having said that I do agree with the earlier comments that there are a lot of idiots with them and that spoils it for the sensible, boring chaps!
  • Swisdom said:
    To go against the grain somewhat I have one.  I used it in France on holiday this year and I’ve used it to take my son to school (up a private road most of the way).

I got it because it’s a bit of fun and, in the right hands, very safe.  I had a dodgy knee in the summer and this was how I got around on holiday so it was worth it for that reason

I would insure it if I could but nobody is insuring them (well they weren't when I last looked).  It’s a bit off a joke that the police say you have to insure it but no insurance companies accept them.

Having said that I do agree with the earlier comments that there are a lot of idiots with them and that spoils it for the sensible, boring chaps!
    Some companies are providing insurance in the authorised trial areas. I saw some e scooters in High Wycombe recently. 

Interesting fact. These scooters are very under powered and only really capable of use around the town centre because of the hills in other parts.
  • Crusty54 said:
    Swisdom said:
    To go against the grain somewhat I have one.  I used it in France on holiday this year and I’ve used it to take my son to school (up a private road most of the way).

Some companies are providing insurance in the authorised trial areas. I saw some e scooters in High Wycombe recently. 

Interesting fact. These scooters are very under powered and only really capable of use around the town centre because of the hills in other parts.
    I read somewhere that there is a way to disable the speed limiter and make them go faster- not sure if this is true then
  • Crusty54 said:
    Swisdom said:

I read somewhere that there is a way to disable the speed limiter and make them go faster- not sure if this is true then
    Some that I have seen "appear" to be going much faster than 15mph. I have seen kids overtaking buses
  • Managed to help stop a fella riding away after hitting a young girl in Peckham last week. He wasn't going that fast, but the scooter was so heavy it broke her ankle. Ambulance crew brilliant, police failed to show up despite Peckham nick being just a 5 minute walk away. Luckily the fella was persuaded to give his details which were passed on to the police. Fingers crossed they take action.
  • Many years ago I had a go ped which is a petrol version - got 2 yellow tickets on it so meant if I was caught again it would be taken away - sold it and that was it.

Why is it the shops fault for selling them - blame again - it’s like it’s b&q fault if a nail bomb goes off or Sainsbury’s if someone buys a knife over 18 and stabs someone. 
  • edited December 2020
    I’ve used the electric scooters in Prague - quite cool - I’m sure @The_Organiser would confirm. 
  • Swisdom said:

@Swisdom, if you're riding on private land, you don't need insurance.  If you're riding on the public highway, you're taking part in an illegal activity so there's no way you'd get insurance for that.