Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Woolwich

Comments

• cafckev said:
    What’s not to like
    It's in Woolwich.
    When were you last there ? It’s a very up and coming area and no I don’t live there.
    4 years ago.

I imagine not too much has changed.
    I’d say a lot has changed tbh.
    You can't polish a turd.
    Average £500,000 for a new build 3 bed flat around Lakeside in SE28 I’d suggest they are having a good try!
    A bit like the development created by Lewisham DLR, another horrible place.
    Is there anywhere in SE London you like?
  • Lee Green.
    Not the answer I expected!
  • TelMc32 said:
    clive said:
    Feels like a bit of a naff design for a leisure centre. Looks like an office block & you’ll be able to see people exercising at their desks 🤷🏻‍♂️ Doesn’t look right either, sitting next to The Tramshed design and the Equitable to the side. 

Notice they’re consulting on whether The Bull (which I do use) should stay. I think we all thought it was gone as part of this plan, but it seems to be part of the next residential phase behind the leisure centre/Tramshed.
    Isn’t there going to a 24 storey building going up in front of Tesco?
    There’s work going on behind (up towards John Wilson Street). Not sure anything planned for the front.
  • Just seen that Belway homes has been hit with a record £600K fine for bulldozing a former car showroom in Woolwich, that was home to a single bat roost. They probably only need to sell a couple of flats to get that back!
  • Croydon said:
    If you choose to only look for the bad you'll never see the good. 
    I hadn't been to Woolwich for years, but was there in the summer for the anti Farnell meet at the Elephant and Castle pub.

Anyone who can walk through that square, and tell you that Woolwich is anything but a toilet, is on a wind up. 
    I often go in that boozer before a home game, it has loads of character. 
  • Croydon said:
    I hadn't been to Woolwich for years, but was there in the summer for the anti Farnell meet at the Elephant and Castle pub.

Anyone who can walk through that square, and tell you that Woolwich is anything but a toilet, is on a wind up. 
    Wasn't aware Woolwich was just a square.
  • So much so, which square are we talking about? Each to their own but moaning in one liners without any explanation just appears ..........
  • Sponsored links:

• mendonca said:
    So much so, which square are we talking about? Each to their own but moaning in one liners without any explanation just appears ..........
    What other squares do you know in Woolwich apart from Beresford Square?
  • Well, the Woolwich Arsenal Park bit is basically a square as well isn't it
  • edited December 2020
    I definitely think of central Woolwich as being composed of two squares. And then there's Dial Arch Square if you cross over to the posh side
  • I still miss manzies.  

• "There's an airport but all the flights are really expensive. There's a sugar refinery. There's some derelict warehouses."
  • clive said:
    I really hope Crossrail don't bottle it.  This poem deserves to be read! 
  • clive said:
    Belvedere  is a proper village....it has 7 mens hairdressers and 7 pubs and 4 churches. 
    I can only count 6 Pubs? 
  • clive said:
    Belvedere  is a proper village....it has 7 mens hairdressers and 7 pubs and 4 churches. 
    I can only count 6 Pubs? 

He was seeing double when he fell out of the 6th pub.
  • Sponsored links:

• clive said:
    I used to live in Belvedere. I can think of many words to describe it, but village isn’t one of them. 
  • edited April 2021
    Croydon said:

Wasn't aware Woolwich was just a square.
    I stand by my comment
  • clive said:
    I can only count 6 Pubs? 
    I thought that, but the Harry has a Belvedere address so it is 7. As far as I know all the pubs in the village + the Harry are still going, but all the ones down the hill have closed. 
  • clive said:
    They spent an absolute fortune importing that granite but failed to make the most of the Square at that time. The underground electric boxes for traders were a big mistake. Impossible to maintain, constantly letting in water (who knew?!) and the hydraulics on the boxes  are rarely repaired which is why skateboarders use them as ramps in the evening ! 
    Hopefully, this new project will lead to a better design for the market stalls.
  • Talking of things going wrong in Woolwich, I remember years ago, (early sixties), they built a auto-stacker multi-storey car park, it was never used and eventually pulled down in 1965-66. 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_Stacker
  • edited April 2021
    ross1 said:
    Talking of things going wrong in Woolwich, I remember years ago, (early sixties), they built a auto-stacker multi-storey car park, it was never used and eventually pulled down in 1965-66. 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_Stacker
    It was officially opened by Princess Margaret.
    When you say it was never used that was because they couldn't get it to function. 
  • RedChaser said:
    I only remember 4 cinemas in Woolwich that were opened at the same time. Granada, Odeon, Century in Beresford Square, and the Regal which has just been pulled down. Plumstead had 3 cinemas at one time, Century, Plaza and the Savoy on Plumstead Common
    Had a quick chat with me mother. Bearing in mind she is in her late 80's and memory isn't what it was. She is fairly sure she remembers 5 cinemas - the 3 that were still operating when I was a lad; Odeon, Granada, Regal (ABC). She said there was also one in Powis Street near corner of Hare Street that was bombed out in the War. She doesn't remember the name. The fifth was in New Road along from where the Tramshed is and opposite the Post Office. She doesn't remember its proper name, but says it was known locally as the "Bug Hutch"
    @Six-a-bag-of-nuts The Bug Hutch (The Globe?) rings a bell from stories my Dad used to tell as his family lived nearby. The Empire Theatre in Beresford St was a music hall, used to show films for a while but withstood the war and was demolished in 1959.
    Hey @RedChaser, remember this conversation?
    I finally managed to solve the mystery of "The Bug Hutch" - correct name was The Palace Picture Theatre, in Woolwich New Road.
    Was actually opposite the station on the junction with Vincent Road.
    http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/32765
    Found out from my Mum (still going strong at 90) that my aunt was actually an usherette there.
    My aunt is also still alive at 95, but has dementia, so sadly I will never get any stories from her
  • RedChaser said:
    I only remember 4 cinemas in Woolwich that were opened at the same time. Granada, Odeon, Century in Beresford Square, and the Regal which has just been pulled down. Plumstead had 3 cinemas at one time, Century, Plaza and the Savoy on Plumstead Common
    Had a quick chat with me mother. Bearing in mind she is in her late 80's and memory isn't what it was. She is fairly sure she remembers 5 cinemas - the 3 that were still operating when I was a lad; Odeon, Granada, Regal (ABC). She said there was also one in Powis Street near corner of Hare Street that was bombed out in the War. She doesn't remember the name. The fifth was in New Road along from where the Tramshed is and opposite the Post Office. She doesn't remember its proper name, but says it was known locally as the "Bug Hutch"
    @Six-a-bag-of-nuts The Bug Hutch (The Globe?) rings a bell from stories my Dad used to tell as his family lived nearby. The Empire Theatre in Beresford St was a music hall, used to show films for a while but withstood the war and was demolished in 1959.
    I finally managed to solve the mystery of "The Bug Hutch" - correct name was The Palace Picture Theatre, in Woolwich New Road.
    Found out from my Mum (still going strong at 90) that my aunt was actually an usherette there.
    My aunt is also still alive at 95, but has dementia, so sadly I will never get any stories from her
    Vaguely mate, blimey 5 years ago! Thanks for the info 👍
  • RedChaser said:
    Try asking your aunt if she remembers. My dad had dementia and could'nt remember what happened 10 minutes ago but could tell with detail what he was doing 70 years ago.