Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

La Liga 2020/21

Started up again yesterday but the most interesting game for me is the Valencia derby on tonight. Thought I'd start up the annual thread for those on here who follow the Spanish league.

Who's following which team and who do you think is going to win the league? I would like to see an Atletico win but their football has certainly worsened in the last couple of years and I wonder how much longer Simeone has got there - he's been there almost ten years now.

The Messi saga at Barcelona seems to have reached a predictable end but the Bale one at Real rumbles on. Strong reports that he could really be going this time, but where will he go - return to Premier or somewhere else?

Not in Spain at moment but hoping to get back to some games this season when crowds are allowed in - looks like there is going to be limited capacity at those: some of the games I go to there are hardly any fans anyway 🙂

Comments

• Looks like a walkover for Real to me, by virtue of the weakness of others rather than their own strength. All of the big three seem to a in a phase of transition at the moment, and Real and managing it better than the others. Not expecting any of the Spanish sides to get near the European trophies (unless Sevilla drop out of the Champions League into the Europa League).

I'll be be keeping an eye on Cadiz primarily, as well as Valencia and Celta.

Also looking forward to seeing Ansu Fati's progress, presume he'll be starting now they've let Suarez go.

Hoping to get to a game somewhere before the end of the season, but feeling pretty negative about the chances of any sort of normality returning in the foreseeable future.
  • Missed Spanish football last season. Seriously considering signing up for Premier Sports this season. I think Sevilla could mount a serious challenge this year.
  • Looks like Bale is on his way back to Tottenham. Shame how it's fizzled out for him at Real Madrid, and probably should have left a year earlier, but overall I think he will be remembered well by their fans for his part in their recent success, especially the Champions League wins.
  • Looks like Bale is on his way back to Tottenham. Shame how it's fizzled out for him at Real Madrid, and probably should have left a year earlier, but overall I think he will be remembered well by their fans for his part in their recent success, especially the Champions League wins.
    I know you're in Madrid but you're surely kidding?

Do Real Madrid have any appreciation for their players even the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo?
  • Most of the fans I know appreciated him as he scored many important goals for them. Many of the fans who go to the games tend to be the most fickle ones, hence why the Bernabeu atmosphere is so quiet and they turn on players quickly. I don't like the club myself but a lot of their supporters do appreciate footballers just as any other club's followers do. Ronaldo was pretty much loved by the vast majority as well.
  • Luis Suarez on as a sub for Atletico. 10 minutes later he's got an assist and a goal.

Messi no doubt watching at home fuming.
  • He’s a bit older and a bit slower but he fits with the Atlético style of play PERFECTLY imo
  • Didn't realise he got another goal right at the end too. Not a bad 20 minute debut.
  • Fantastic win for newly promoted Cadiz at Real Madrid tonight. Early days but the league looks pretty open at the moment, and the absence of crowds seems to be levelling things up for the smaller teams.
  • Sponsored links:

• What a result for Cadiz

1991 was the last time they beat Real Madrid and that was a home game, that season the away match they lost.

So to go to Real Madrid and win 1-0 tonight is a great result
  • Deserved as well. Would love to be out in Cadiz tonight!
  • Class, their stadium is just down the road from my nan and grandads place. The stadium is pretty much right on the beach, will try to get to a game once the whole corona quarentine situation blows over
  • edited October 2020
    Getafe beat Barcelona as well tonight. I say this every year, more in hope than anything, but be great to see a different winner this year than Real or Barcelona. If it's ever going to happen, maybe it could be this year if there are no crowds.
  • And to keep up the flow, Getafe nick a 1-0 win against Barça. Early doors indeed, but great to see the usual suspects struggling a bit.
  • When was the last time they both lost on the same weekend /set of league matches ?
  • edited October 2020
    When was the last time they both lost on the same weekend /set of league matches ?
    First time they have lost on the same day since 2000!
  • Just been reading about the state of Barcelona.

The club revealed their debt had more than doubled from 217m euros (£194.5m) to 488m euros (£437.4m), amid annual losses of 97m euros (£86.9m).

Yet La Liga President Tebas (who obviously can't be seen to blame one of the 2 biggest clubs) blamed Covid.

"Their debt might be slightly larger but they were perfectly solvent pre-Covid. But Covid has come along and taken away a lot of revenue. That is the essential factor for most clubs. It is not because they were mismanaged earlier."

Now i know Covid has hit many clubs hard, but you don't get into almost 500m euros of debt because of a few months of Covid. That can only be down to some serious mismanagement.

• Atletico v Barcelona this weekend.

And Luis Suarez has tested positive for Covid!
  • Great win for Atlético against Barcelona tonight, and with both Barca and Real Madrid looking off the pace they could have a good chance to win La Liga this year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Great win for Atlético against Barcelona tonight, and with both Barca and Real Madrid looking off the pace they could have a good chance to win La Liga this year.
    Barcelona 9 points off top already, Messi desperate to leave, debt pilling up, how disastrous would it be if they missed out on Champions League next season as well
    Barcelona 9 points off top already, Messi desperate to leave, debt pilling up, how disastrous would it be if they missed out on Champions League next season as well
    I would love it. Have a certain dislike for the 2 Spanish big teams.
  • Things go from bad to worse for Barcelona.

Gerard Pique has done his knee ligament and will be out for anywhere between 3-5 months. Sergi Roberto will be out for 2 months after rupturing a thigh muscle.

• They barely offered anything yesterday. Think the top 4 this season could have a very unusual look.
  • Koeman wont last the season
  • Don't think he's the problem. They've got a poor side at the moment, been in gradual decline for a while.
  • MrLargo said:
    Don't think he's the problem. They've got a poor side at the moment, been in gradual decline for a while.
    I think he is part of the problem Puig for example seems to have been frozen out by him, fans dont understand why as he was looking quality last season and now he cant get off the bench 
  • Real Sociedad are brilliant to watch. 

Januzaj was untouchable today and Cadiz have been no pushover this season.

Some of the passages of play were so slick and creative it was a pleasure to watch, which I find is hard to appreciate in a majority of games. 

I'm not normally a fan of la liga based on the top 2 generally, but the quality the other teams are striking up has really got my interest. 

Emery doing very well at Villareal aswell. 
  • People been following this much? Real beat Atlético last week, though the latter are still best placed in the league with two games in hand. Bit difficult to see full picture at moment as teams have played different amount of games, with some having played three more or less than others. Think all the catch up games are scheduled to be played in January so should be a clearer picture then.

As always, hoping for a team other than the big two to win. Atlético have been looking very decent, with last week's loss being first defeat of the season in the league. Trippier seems to be well settled in and established in the team as well, which is good to see.
  • And now Tripper has a 10 week ban and will miss Atlético game against Chelsea @CharltonMadrid