Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

La Liga 2020/21

Comments

• Been watching a fair bit. A little bit like the Premier League in that there seems to be a lot of inconsistency. Atletico have been good, I still think they're a long way behind the level they were at when they were getting to Champions League finals.

Thought Pellegrini would have more of an impact at Betis.
  • I know its not La Liga but Real Madrid just knocked out of the Copa Del Rey to Alcoyano

Alcoyano play in Secunda Divison B a Division that holds Valencia and Villarreal B teams.

It wasnt a terrible Real Madrid team either they had 
    Isco
    Marcelo
    Casemiro
    Valverde
    Lucas
    All staring plus Benzema came on with 23 minutes to go with Madrid 1-0 up, Alcoyano then made it 1-1 and took it to extra time.

In the first half of extra time Madrid went even further and bought, Hazard, Asensio and Kroos on, then 5 minutes into the 2nd half of extra time Alcoyano went down to 10 men.

So for the final 10 minutes they had 10 men and were up against some Madrid superstars and they still managed to find a winner on the 115th minute then hold on 
  • I read a nice story once about Alcoyano. Apparently there is a phrase in Spanish, something like "he fought like an Alcoyano" which relates to how, in a match long ago, the Alcoyano team kept battling to the end in a game that they were getting thrashed in.

Good for them, great result tonight!
  • Hazard's move to Madrid must go down as the worst transfer of all time.

130m+ transfer fee, a reported 400k a week salary, and in 18 months he's played 33 times and scored 3 goals. 22 games and 2 goals in the league.
  • Another 2 goals for Suarez last night, now has 16 in 17 games and every week the decision by Barca to get rid of him to a rival looks even more ridiculous.
  • Atletico are in danger of blowing La Liga after losing again last night. The big lead they had a few weeks ago has been falling week by week and now after 4 wins in 10, it will be down to just 1 point if Barcelona win tonight.

• Elsewhere in La Liga:

Valencia walked off the pitch during Sunday's 2-1 La Liga defeat at Cadiz after an alleged racist comment, before later returning to complete the match.

Mouctar Diakhaby reacted furiously after a first-half clash with Cadiz's Juan Cala and spoke with the referee, before Valencia's players left the pitch in protest.

He later asked his team-mates to return and they resumed the game but without Diakhaby, who was substituted.

Valencia defender Jose Gaya said after the game that the team either had to resume playing or risk a points deduction.

"Diakhaby told us he heard a racist insult so we all went off the pitch," Gaya told Spanish network Movistar.

"We were told that we had to play because if we didn't, they would take the three points off us and maybe we'd be docked more points.

"Diakhaby asked us to play on. We wouldn't have done so if he hadn't done so. He said he wasn't in the right state of mind to keep playing. He is devastated."

Cala, 31, was also substituted at half-time, before Marcos Mauro's 88th-minute goal gave Cadiz a 2-1 victory.

"We offer our complete backing to Mouctar Diakhaby," Valencia said of the decision to return to the pitch.

"The team have held a meeting and decided to continue the game, in order to fight for the honour of the club, but denounce racism of any kind."

Gaya said he had heard the comment Cala made to Diakhaby.

He added: "It was a very ugly insult which I won't repeat. We haven't been able to speak with Cala because he was the last player to leave the pitch. I'm certain that he said something. It was a very strange game."

• An absolute farce that a team is made to play on or they'll potentially be docked points. Yep that's really kicking racism out.
  • Atlético seem to be completely throwing away the league after such a strong start this season. Really hope they can hold on: we need to see a team breaking the Real Madrid - Barcelona monopoly again.

On an even more significant Spanish football note, I took my daughter to her first live match yesterday, the fourth division playoff game between Union Adarve and Alcorcón B. Home win for my team from the north of Madrid and I think (hope) my daughter now has the live football bug!
  • edited April 2021
    Left it late last night (Dembele 90th minute winner) but Barcelona's title charge continues.

Their first 14 La Liga games this season: 6 wins, 4 draws, 4 defeats.
    Since: 14 wins, 1 draw, 0 defeats.

El Clasico next weekend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not La Liga but a shout out to Real Sociedad who won their first trophy since 1987 beating Bilbao in the very delayed 2020 Copa del Rey final.

A trophy they'll hold for all of 2 weeks as Bilbao go again in the 2021 final v Barca in a fortnight.
  • Cala then responded by hosting a press conference......
  • 8 games left.

Atletico 67 points
    Real Madrid 66 points
    Barcelona 65 points
  • I know Real Madrid are ahead of Atletico on head to head but have they got to play each other again and who’s ahead of Atletico and Barca h2h and Barca /Real h2h and anymore matches between them .
  • Enjoyable end of season with all four of Atlético Madrid, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Sevilla still in with a chance. Next week will be crucial with Barcelona v Atlético and Real Madrid v Sevilla.
  • Atletico got lucky last night, Elche hit the post with an injury time penalty that would've cost them 2 points.
  • I know Real Madrid are ahead of Atletico on head to head but have they got to play each other again and who’s ahead of Atletico and Barca h2h and Barca /Real h2h and anymore matches between them .
    Real win the H2H with both Atletico and Barcelona.

Atletico beat Barca at home, return fixture is next week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sevilla's loss to Athletic Bilbao is going to make it very difficult for them to  have a chance of winning the league now, which would have been amazing. With four games left it's:

1. Atlético Madrid - 76
    2. Real Madrid - 74
    3. Barcelona - 74
    4. Sevilla - 70

First against third and second against fourth this weekend.
  • Barcelona v Atlético today: very likely that the winner of this will win the league, although a draw would probably see Real Madrid win it. Great end to the season - hasn't been this close for a long time.
  • Still can't believe that Barcelona lost at home to Granada. They'd be almost there if they'd won that.
  • Barca v Atletico is about to kick off in case anyone thought it was the usual evening kick off
  • Finished 0-0, so if Seville can beat RM tomorrow the top 4 will be incredibly close with 3 games left to play. Here's hoping!

AM 77
    Ba 75
    RM 74
    Se 73

If RM win then they go joint top with Atletico and you have assume Seville are out of the running
  • edited May 2021
    Sevilla 2-2 Real Madrid on Sunday, Barcelona 3-3 Levante yesterday and Sevilla 1-0 Valencia tonight so it's all very close with Atlético playing tonight and Real Madrid tomorrow, then two more games for each team left. Fantastic end to the season.
  • edited May 2021
    Atlético 2-1 Real Sociedad last night, Real Madrid away to Granada tonight. Then all games in penultimate match of the season on same time on Sunday this weekend.
  • Big day today; all games at 18.30 our time and league winners, order of top four, Europa League places and all three relegation places all still open with today's games then one more match to play.
  • Osasuna at home then Valladolid away, surely Atletico won't blow it from here.
  • Atletico hit the post and minutes later Barça score. At the other end of the table Eibar's dream seems to be ending,vas they are 3-0 down against Valencia.