Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cardiff City v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 30 June | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

edited June 2020 in General Charlton
Cardiff City v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 30 June | Kick-Off: 18.00pm (Live on Valley Pass)

Previous Result: Charlton Athletic 2-2 Cardiff City

Referee: Stephen Martin (Staffordshire) - Previously officiated Charlton in four fixtures this season: Derby (H), Middlesbrough (H & A), Fulham (H)

Introduction
After 3 months without football, and the worry about whether we would ever get the chance to finish our season, the Addicks have returned in fantastic fashion. A maximum of 6 points and two clean sheets have been achieved in two huge games showing how ridiculous the points-per-game system was. We now enter the crazy run-in with 7 games in 22 days. Next up we travel across the border and into Wales, Cardiff City away.

Opposition
Manager: Neil Harris (41% win rate) | Stadium: Cardiff City Stadium
League Position: 6th | Nickname(s): Bluebirds
Fun Facts:
- Cardiff City was first formed by members of the Riverside Cricket Club wanting to keep fit during the winter months.

- Back in 
2012, owner Vincent Tan, changed the clubs colours to red. It caused a lot of trouble and protests from supporters; the decision to go back to blue was eventually made. However, Cardiff’s colours haven’t always been blue. In fact, the Bluebirds original colours were orange and brown.

An in form Cardiff were, like ourselves, unchanged last time out at the weekend against 
Preston North End. Their line up was:

Smithies
Sanderson | Morrison | Nelson | Bennett
Bacuna | Ralls | Vaulks
Adomah | Patterson | Hoilett

Cardiff's excellent form has seen them creep up into the top six, so make no mistake, this is going to be a tough game. Since their horrific 6-1 loss away at our last opponents, QPR, on New Year’s Day, Cardiff have only lost twice. During that time, they’ve won against the current top two, Leeds and West Brom, and drawn against Brentford, all at home. Their latest win, 3-1 against Preston on Saturday, pushed themselves into the top six for the very first time this season.

It's 
difficult to pick out one specific player from Cardiff as they all bring a certain quality to their team which allows them to utilise their strength. The Bluebirds possess a lot of pace and power, especially in attacking areas. Tricky winger, Junior Hoilett, has 5 goals from midfield this season, whilst Mendez-Laing came off the bench to score his 3rd of the season on Saturday. Robert Glatzel, a tall and athletic German striker signed from Bundesliga 2 outfit Heidenheim last summer, has 6 goals so far this season - 2 of them coming since the return to football this month. It would be fair to assume that this could be Cardiff’s front three on Tuesday evening.

Cardiff 
like to get the ball out wide and isolate their opposition full-backs. The pace and trickery of their wide men is an important aspect of their play. Bowyer is going to have to be aware of that when deciding who plays in defence as they’re going to have to be able to keep up with them, whilst being good enough in one v one battles (something Matthews has been excellent at). What is really interesting is that Cardiff have scored the most goals in the league from set-pieces so far this season, 20, whilst they’ve also conceded one of the most from them too. Jacko’s routines, both offensively and defensively, could prove to be vital again.

Charlton Team News
Lee Bowyer named an unchanged team in our win against QPR on Saturday, the first time he’s managed or chosen to do that all season. Yes, that is correct, the first time we have named an unchanged team all season. But don’t expect that to last -  the quick turn around in fixtures, the travel, and the overall fitness of the squad will need managing so that could be the first and only time we see the same 11 take to the field all season.

With 
that in mind, we could see a number of changes that could include Sarr starting. Pearce’s wife is due to go into labour any time now so we could see our skipper left at home. Field could make his first start for us since October in place of Pratley. With Millwall coming up only 3 days later, Pratley could be saved for that one instead. Aneke could come in for Hemed after an impressive cameo against QPR, that would be his first start for us since October too. But Green would have something to say about that as the Villa loanee returned on Saturday after missing out previously with an ankle injury. Ultimately, Bowyer isn't going to want to change the team too much, but will have to make some changes to keep the players fresh ahead of this testing run-in.

Subs: Amos, Oshilaja, Doughty, Pratley, Lapslie, McGeady, Aneke, Green, Davison

Prediction
really tough game in the Welsh capital but we've given ourselves a great chance with two fantastic results. Momentum is so important in football, as is confidence, and those two factors could be enough to see us get a result away from home.

Cardiff City 1-1 Charlton Athletic
Bonne

Comments

• dickplumb said:
    I would drop Hemed and put Aneke in there. He has looked lively when he ha has come on.
    Yeah I like your team @Sage (great Preview too) but wonder if we'll go for Aneke ahead of Hemed on Tuesday before a switch back to yesterdays team for Millwall

On a brighter note, with Cardiff replacing Preston in the Play-Offs it means we're actually undefeated against the whole of the top six

Neil Harris has done really well to bounce back after having a bit of a torrid start @ Millwall which saw him leaving there

Going to go for a draw as well (in both of these next two games), Lee Tomlin no doubt getting their goal which'll set us up nicely to try and win our final two home games and so properly secure safety

P.S. When the hell did Cardiff sign Adomah, of course it would have been in the January Transfer Window but really dont remember that happening
  • ForeverAddickted said:
    dickplumb said:
    I would drop Hemed and put Aneke in there. He has looked lively when he ha has come on.
    Yeah I like your team @Sage (great Preview too) but wonder if we'll go for Aneke ahead of Hemed on Tuesday before a switch back to yesterdays team for Millwall

On a brighter note, with Cardiff replacing Preston in the Play-Offs it means we're actually undefeated against the whole of the top six

Neil Harris has done really well to bounce back after having a bit of a torrid start @ Millwall which saw him leaving there

Going to go for a draw as well (in both of these next two games), Lee Tomlin no doubt getting their goal which'll set us up nicely to try and win our final two home games and so properly secure safety

P.S. When the hell did Cardiff sign Adomah, of course it would have been in the January Transfer Window but really dont remember that happening
    Deadline day signing 31 January, probably late on, I don't remember it either.
  • edited June 2020
    Maybe Cardiff will be charitable enough to copy Forrest’s master plan of rotating for the “weaker” teams. 

Set piece goal. Lockyer. 1-0. 

Excuses in early as we have to travel to wales and defend for 80minutes, then back to London with a short rest before the scum.  Meanwhile Millwall at home on the Tuesday before the draining journey to the Valley. 

• 1 - 1 Cullen with our goal , from a penalty.
  • 1-1 for me too.  Morgan to score. 
  • Rotation and a change of formation to 5 - 4 - 1.

Pratley rested for Field.

0 - 0 draw and Bowyer gets slammed for being too negative.
  • Let's hope Cardiff are nervy thinking they should win this and we can get a point at least. 
  • Let's hope Cardiff are nervy thinking they should win this and we can get a point at least. 
    Cardiff also have a "derby" against Bristol City next Saturday

Shame Bristol City arent winning today as would make that game bigger than ours!! 
  • Sponsored links:

• I know the old saying never change a winning team but I feel Bowyer has no choice with the games coming thick and fast.
    I look at our next three games and I think I would settle for 2 or 3 points from the three.
    As for Cardiff on Tuesday heart saying 1.1
    Head saying 2.0 Cardiff. 
    Hoping my heart is correct. 
  • I can't see us winning this one. 2-0 to them.
  • Will be over the moon to come out of this game with anything. 1-1.
  • So far we've excelled against weak or unmotivated teams but Cardiff is a completely different proposition. A draw and no injuries will be a good result.
  • Great preview as always. Love how thick and fast the games are coming now.

This is how I think we'll line up, with Pearce in for Dej if his partner has their baby before then:

........................Phillips
    Lapslie Lockyer Oshilaja Sarr Purrington 
    .......................Cullen Field
    ...........................Williams
    ....................Aneke......Green

I think a lot of the changes will be made with an eye on Friday. 

I've just moved a pretty important meeting so I can watch this live.
  • A scoreless draw is our only hope. Expecting nothing from next 2 away games. 
  • SDAddick said:
    Great preview as always. Love how thick and fast the games are coming now.

This is how I think we'll line up, with Pearce in for Dej if his partner has their baby before then:

A bit too negative for me, but I would go for a 4-5-1.

Can’t see Mathews being dropped against their wingers.

Phillips
    Mathews. Lockyer.  Sarr. Purrington

Lapslie.  Cullen. Field. Williams. Doughty.

Bonne.
  • Our next 3 games are all tough  , but we are playing well and creating chances . Expect four or five changes for this one and coming back with a point .
  • There's very little I hate more than starting with a negative formation when we have viable forward players at our disposal. Two up front is absolutely mandatory
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    There's very little I hate more than starting with a negative formation when we have viable forward players at our disposal. Two up front is absolutely mandatory
    Unless we play something like 4-3-3 with Green and Doughty on the flanks who get up in support of Hemed or Aneke when we get the ball and dont leave him exposed

Rather than just playing with two wide forwards who simply act as additional Midfielders to keep the opposition out
  • Harris had got the bluebirds flying high (sorry) .. I'll be delighted if we get even a point from this one, but you never know as Cardiff do concede quite a few, surprising for a defence packed with tough and uncompromising experienced players..
     Hoilett is the man to stop, he gets better with age .. our midfield and defence need to be spot on .. Bonne is due a goal, as is Hemed 

errrrr a very optimistic … Cardiff City 1 v CAFC 1

• I can’t see us getting any change out of this one but we will still go into the Millwall game with a 100% post-Covid record in England. As long as we don’t get thrashed, I think we will have good bouncebackability, to coin a phrase.
  • Win number 3 of the 9 game winning streak for Bowyer’s football team. 3-0 to the Addicks.
  • Need to win to keep our play off hopes alive. 

Think we'll get a draw 
  • I would be very happy with a draw, but over the moon with 1-0 Charlton.
  • 2-0 to Cardiff.

Amazing 3-1 win at Preston by Cardiff and they are now in the play off place of 6th.

QPR played in 2nd gear and Hull in 1st.
    Charlton were disciplined and showed plenty of grit and spirit but our default is always to drop back and defend which we did well against two teams devoid of a spark.

Fantastic to get 6 points but plenty of improvement needed for CAFC when attacking.
  • edited June 2020
    Redrobo said:
    SDAddick said:
    Great preview as always. Love how thick and fast the games are coming now.

A bit too negative for me, but I would go for a 4-5-1.

Can’t see Mathews being dropped against their wingers.

Phillips
    Mathews. Lockyer.  Sarr. Purrington

Lapslie.  Cullen. Field. Williams. Doughty.

Bonne.
    Mine wouldn't be the team I'd pick, rather what I think Bowyer will pick. 

I think one of the big things is Matthews is going to need a rest whether it's Tuesday or Friday. So it's a question of, does Deji also need a rest Tuesday, or can he be deployed at RB? If he's fit to start, then it's probably 4-4-2 again. But given how he's tired at LB after the hour, I think he'll need a rest too so we can play the team we've played the last two matches against Millwall.

Hence I think Bowyer will go to three CBs and the only other player who can really play RWB is Lapslie. Not ideal, but needs must. 

If we were playing Saturday or Sunday I might feel differently, but I think Bowyer needs to rotate and the match against Cardiff presents a good opportunity. Anything against a playoff side away from home is a bonus. The bigger, and on paper more winnable game, is Millwall on Friday (don't get me wrong we'll lose to Millwall on telly). And rotating on Tuesday ensures a stronger team on Friday.