Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cardiff City v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 30 June | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• edited June 2020
    I think he will stick with 442 with a few obvious changes due to quick turnaround of games;

Phillips 
    Matthews, Lockyer, Sarr, Purrington
    Pratley
    Cullen, Field
    Williams
    Aneke, Bonne

You don’t rest Pratley, he’s machine he’ll be alright.
    Morgan’s fitness isn’t amazing so I can see him being saved for weekend with Field coming in as a more defensive option.
    McGeady fitness not amazing either so Williams obvious swap.
    Hemed looked like he had a slight knock but I can see him being dropped midweek anyway.

Hard fought 1-1 with Bonne netting.
  • Tough game to call and could go either way in a low scoring affair.
    But I believe we can get something from the game so predict 1-1, although we could also nick it 1-0. Morgan scoring.
  • We will win 5-0 but this will be overshadowed when Lyle signs for Man Utd on Wednesday
  • Lots of pressure to soak up here I'm afraid, park the bus and hope to hang on, 0-0.
  • Next three are the toughest we have left if Leeds can wrap up the title by our game. 
    Unbeaten run to continue with a draw. 
  • Im worried that we're riding our luck
  • 2-0 loss and our worlds fall apart (in usual style) until we get a grip by Thursday morning, looking forward to taking on Millwall. I would argue keeping the goal difference in the same ballpark is our main objective in this one. Don’t go chasing a draw if we do go 2-0 down, just keep it at 2. 

If we do manage a point or shock win, I would absolutely love it!
  • There are must win games and bonus games. This is a bonus game and that should suit us.
  • Leaving Chuks up front chasing the ball will only work until he runs out of steam.
    10 minutes I should think.
  • Sponsored links:

• My Cardiff Bestie seems to think they’ll be nervous for this now they’re fighting for the playoffs.
    I’ve asked her to have a word & sort out a draw.
    Think that’s best all round 😜🙏🏻🤣🤣
  • Cardiff have looked good since lockdown and obviously want to cement their play-off place.

Think we'll be lucky to get any points out of this one. Hopefully our confidence won't be knocked too much heading into Friday.

2-0 Cardiff.

• My Cardiff Bestie seems to think they’ll be nervous for this now they’re fighting for the playoffs.
    I’ve asked her to have a word & sort out a draw.
    Think that’s best all round
    I think your pal is correct. Cardiff will have expended energy in winning at PNE and finding themselves sixth and with a cushion will see them unsure how to proceed against us. After the Lord Mayor's Show for them then and it's a nice little smash and grab away win. Meanwhile Swansea are pulling off the same trick at the Den and it'll be all smiles come Friday night at the Valley as a bereft of confidence Millwall rock up. 
  • Thing is in true Charlton fashion, the wheels have fallen off so many times this season already you just know we are due another disruption. The fact the Spanner game is near is also a bad omen.

I would be over the moon with a point as I am sure Lee will have the lads firing, but sticking with my 0-3 prediction.
  • Dodgy one to call. Yes they are in great form but Pratleys interview just makes me think the boys will step up. 

Would like to see a little more pace in the team. Hemed and Bonne have done nothing wrong but I would start Aneke & Green (More athletic) and bring Bonne on last half hour to keep at those tiring defenders even if we are winning, defending start from the front!

Pearce has done well but Sarrs range of passing could possibly help set up counters. 

Doughty and Jonny will be good subs to keep them on the back foot if we are drawing at least. 

However, I think Charlton 2-1.  Bonne (if he starts) & Morgan.
  • They are on good form, we are due to concede... 3-1 to the Bluebirds im afraid. Would take a point next 2 games if we can. 
  • 442 is the way to go, but we need pace in the team as our threat is going to be on the counter 

Phillips
    Matthews-Lockyer-Sarr-Purrington
    Morgan-Cullen-Pratley-Doughty
                  Green-Aneke

Not sure Field is up to 60 mins yet, if he is he could come in for Pratley.  Morgan tucking in on the right and Doughty getting forward means we'll be 433 with the ball.  Chucks dropping in makes us 451 without it.

2-1 to us.  Green and Morgan.  Naby and Dillon with long ball assists
  • Why, when we’ve kept 2 clean sheets, is there a clamour to recall purrington ? I’d keep the team the same, bar maybe Sarr for Pearce if he really can’t play twice in 4 days 
  • I'm not at all confident about the next 3 games.
    Charlton always play better against footballing teams.
    Both Hull & QPR try and play football on the deck.

Cardiff & Millwall like a bit of an aerial onslaught and we generally don't fare well against the hoof it boys.

2-1 to Cardiff and I'll be very pleased if we get a point.
  • Don't think Harris has ever been on the losing side against us - as player or manager.
    That won't change here........... 2-0 to the Bluebirds.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cardiff looked a real handful in the EFL highlights show. Fast moving.

Will be a tough game.
  • wmcf123 said:
    Why, when we’ve kept 2 clean sheets, is there a clamour to recall purrington ? I’d keep the team the same, bar maybe Sarr for Pearce if he really can’t play twice in 4 days 
    These words! From your mouth! Glory be
  • SDAddick said:
    Redrobo said:
    SDAddick said:
    Great preview as always. Love how thick and fast the games are coming now.

This is how I think we'll line up, with Pearce in for Dej if his partner has their baby before then:

........................Phillips
    Lapslie Lockyer Oshilaja Sarr Purrington 
    .......................Cullen Field
    ...........................Williams
    ....................Aneke......Green

I think a lot of the changes will be made with an eye on Friday. 

I've just moved a pretty important meeting so I can watch this live.
    A bit too negative for me, but I would go for a 4-5-1.

Can’t see Mathews being dropped against their wingers.

Phillips
    Mathews. Lockyer.  Sarr. Purrington

Lapslie.  Cullen. Field. Williams. Doughty.

Bonne.
    Mine wouldn't be the team I'd pick, rather what I think Bowyer will pick. 

I think one of the big things is Matthews is going to need a rest whether it's Tuesday or Friday. So it's a question of, does Deji also need a rest Tuesday, or can he be deployed at RB? If he's fit to start, then it's probably 4-4-2 again. But given how he's tired at LB after the hour, I think he'll need a rest too so we can play the team we've played the last two matches against Millwall.

Hence I think Bowyer will go to three CBs and the only other player who can really play RWB is Lapslie. Not ideal, but needs must. 

If we were playing Saturday or Sunday I might feel differently, but I think Bowyer needs to rotate and the match against Cardiff presents a good opportunity. Anything against a playoff side away from home is a bonus. The bigger, and on paper more winnable game, is Millwall on Friday (don't get me wrong we'll lose to Millwall on telly). And rotating on Tuesday ensures a stronger team on Friday. 
    Seems crazy that we've had 3 months off and then played saturday/saturday and we're already worrying about resting players. 

Remember we can make 5 subs too, so i don't think Bowyer is going to make too many changes. I'd bring Field in for Pratley and maybe Aneke in for Hemed. I certainly don't think we should be resting Matthews against a decent attacking side.
    I think LB will select the same starting 11, maybe resting Pratley for Friday evening.
  • edited June 2020
    wmcf123 said:
    Why, when we’ve kept 2 clean sheets, is there a clamour to recall purrington ? I’d keep the team the same, bar maybe Sarr for Pearce if he really can’t play twice in 4 days 
    I think Oshilaja looked knackered towards the end on Saturday. Purrington has come off the bench twice and looked solid both times imo, can’t recall him making a mistake. 

Don’t think it’s be too much of a problem putting him in on Tuesday. Maybe keep Oshilaja fresh for millwall at home... an arguably (strongly arguably) more winnable game? 
  • Palace fan in peace. I think the taffs will beat you, but I do have to begrudgingly congratulate you - well, your team - on your form after the break thus far. Lots of guts in the face of adversity - for which your manager must take a lot of credit
  • Just seen a stat in the League Two Play-Off final

Seems Cardiff are the third highest scorers in the whole of the Football League when it comes to scoring from set pieces
  • RC_CAFC said:

hermann said:
    Bonne's looked quite rusty since the restart, wouldn't mind seeing Chuks and Hemed start together. Williams can be an excellent outlet in games where we're soaking up pressure so expect him to feature.
    That's not going to sharpen up Bonne.
    I thought Bonne was a step up on Sat from the week before and is the kind of player who will get better the more he is played. For me, I would leave him in to find his form and goals.
    He’s our top scorer, he has to start.
  • Just seen a stat in the League Two Play-Off final

Seems Cardiff are the third highest scorers in the whole of the Football League when it comes to scoring from set pieces
    Not a great surprise, considering that Warnock built the side and Harris (who plays a similar style) has continued it. They don't have a prolific striker but spread the goals around

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%80%9320_Cardiff_City_F.C._season#Goals_record