Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cardiff City v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 30 June | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    SDAddick said:
    Redrobo said:
    SDAddick said:
    Great preview as always. Love how thick and fast the games are coming now.

This is how I think we'll line up, with Pearce in for Dej if his partner has their baby before then:

........................Phillips
    Lapslie Lockyer Oshilaja Sarr Purrington 
    .......................Cullen Field
    ...........................Williams
    ....................Aneke......Green

I think a lot of the changes will be made with an eye on Friday. 

I've just moved a pretty important meeting so I can watch this live.
    A bit too negative for me, but I would go for a 4-5-1.

Can’t see Mathews being dropped against their wingers.

Phillips
    Mathews. Lockyer.  Sarr. Purrington

Lapslie.  Cullen. Field. Williams. Doughty.

Bonne.
    Mine wouldn't be the team I'd pick, rather what I think Bowyer will pick. 

I think one of the big things is Matthews is going to need a rest whether it's Tuesday or Friday. So it's a question of, does Deji also need a rest Tuesday, or can he be deployed at RB? If he's fit to start, then it's probably 4-4-2 again. But given how he's tired at LB after the hour, I think he'll need a rest too so we can play the team we've played the last two matches against Millwall.

Hence I think Bowyer will go to three CBs and the only other player who can really play RWB is Lapslie. Not ideal, but needs must. 

If we were playing Saturday or Sunday I might feel differently, but I think Bowyer needs to rotate and the match against Cardiff presents a good opportunity. Anything against a playoff side away from home is a bonus. The bigger, and on paper more winnable game, is Millwall on Friday (don't get me wrong we'll lose to Millwall on telly). And rotating on Tuesday ensures a stronger team on Friday. 
    If Lapslie is asked to play at right wing back against any of their wingers, especially Hoilett, we’ll be in for a very long and tough evening. That’s my worry and why I just can’t see Matthews getting rested right now.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    This going to be bloody difficult, I would gladly take a draw and avoid a heavy defeat.  With Huddersfield losing this afternoon, there is a little bit of space, with our GD, but if we could come away with a point what a confidence boost that would be, getting 7 points from 9 is s great return from 2 away and 1 home game. 1-1
  • Options
    If we get anything out of this it will have to be an improvement on the last two performances.
    This is a proper team , the two lame teams we’ve just beaten are gone now and hopefully we can up our game against better opposition.
    4-0 cardiff , time to smell the coffee 
  • Options
    Cardiff are a typical Neil Harris side, indeed he's a good match for them as don't have the star players on paper to worry you, but are well organised and play to their strengths

I've no idea what side Bowyer will put out. Apart from the form they've shown, he'll want to balance
    1) Not overplaying certain players and risking injury
    2) But also not selecting too many players who haven't played much, as they might lack sharpness

• Options
    0-1 Charlton. Lucky late og, outplayed but win anyway. 
    Lyle Taylor was never missed.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I thought we'd lose 2-1 against QPR I expect the loss to roll on to Tuesday.
  • Options
    5-4 Charlton. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I thought we'd lose 2-1 at QPR I expect the loss to roll on to Tuesday.
    Yes, we did lose at Loftus Road but managed a 1-0 victory at The Valley yesterday.😀😀😀
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I thought we'd lose 2-1 at QPR I expect the loss to roll on to Tuesday.
    Yes, we did lose at Loftus Road but managed a 1-0 victory at The Valley yesterday.😀😀😀
    We drew 2 2 at their place
  • Options
    With our two victories we’ve almost earned the right to look at this game as a “free hit” but it would be dangerous to think like that. Bowyer will shake it up a bit and expect to see Alfie, Sarr, Field and possibly Chuks starting. I’m not feeling anything other than a defat which is good as I’m generally wrong. I’d snap your hand off for a point right now though. 
  • Options
    Think this will be an ouch moment. 3 - 0
  • Options
    Would take a draw from this very difficult game all day long
  • Options
    I never underestimate what a real team can do.
    We have one.
  • Options
    If Cardiff score first I reckon it's damage limitation.
    If we can keep a clean sheet a very lucky win is possible.
    I can't see another clean sheet so the best I can hope for is we nick one but they equalise and we get a 1-1.
    Head says 2-0.
  • Options
    Unbeaten against a top 6 side. Dismiss us at your peril. 

0-2. Bonne & McGeady.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Cardiff looked strong against fellow play off rivals Preston so I would be happy with a point, head though says a Cardiff win.
  • Options
    I know different time and all that, but we destroyed them first half at the Valley this season. Bowyer will look at that and see where it went well.

Agree that Field and Aneke should come in. I can also see Albie being given a rest for Williams.

We’ve played at the level we’ve needed to so far. Will be another tight game. Fingers crossed we can get that first half goal again. We should have some confidence in seeing games out now. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree with Chris_from_Sidcup - 3 months off, no major injury concerns and the chance to make 5 substitutions anyway might let LB pick a largely unchanged side.

Hope all goes well for Pearce and his Mrs. We’d all understand if he’s not there.

In this mini-season Charlton’s confidence should be high regardless of the calibre of the opposition. We are a Championship side and right now LB and his men are fighting for the right to remain one.
  • Options
    If we get the first goal, then holding out for at least a point is a possibility. If we go behind, then I don't see our strikers being able to drag us back into the game.
  • Options
    I feel like Bowyer is liking his 4-4-2 so I would be surprised and disappointed if he switched to 5 at the back. We don't really have the players for it, whereas we're set up quite nicely for the 4-4-2. He'll have to make some changes. I think Matthews will need a rest soon because he's found it hard enough to play consecutive Saturdays in recent times let alone three games in eight. We don't really know which players are reacting badly or well in terms of post-game recovery in the lay-off so it's really hard to guess a team based on that; I get the feeling that Jonny isn't looking too well and Aneke seems to run out of puff very quickly even coming on as a sub. I also wonder if Bowyer will have an eye on Millwall and decide that it's better to rotate now than leave us a bit knackered for the weekend. I'd say possibly:
                       Phillips
    Oshilaja-Lockyer-Sarr-Purrington
    McGeady-Cullen-Field-Morgan
                  Green-Hemed
  • Options
    Bonne's looked quite rusty since the restart, wouldn't mind seeing Chuks and Hemed start together. Williams can be an excellent outlet in games where we're soaking up pressure so expect him to feature.
  • Options
    Id say keep same team to keep momentum, maybe drop pearce if he feels he cant play otherwise keep him in. 

Weve got plenty of talent and quant of subs to make on the bench if any tire quickly. 
  • Options
    First defeat back,  0-3
  • Options
    hermann said:
    Bonne's looked quite rusty since the restart, wouldn't mind seeing Chuks and Hemed start together. Williams can be an excellent outlet in games where we're soaking up pressure so expect him to feature.
    That's not going to sharpen up Bonne.
  • Options

hermann said:
    That's not going to sharpen up Bonne.
    I thought Bonne was a step up on Sat from the week before and is the kind of player who will get better the more he is played. For me, I would leave him in to find his form and goals.
  • Options
    If we had drawn those 2 games 0-0 there would be more pressure on Bonne to perform...he would have been crucified here for that miss vs Hull
  • Options
    If we had drawn those 2 games 0-0 there would be more pressure on Bonne to perform...he would have been crucified here for that miss vs Hull
    I think most know that he's raw and needs work, Bow has said it countless times.