Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Over 70s

According to the BBC over 70s are goning made to self isolate for a number of weeks. I know this virus is dangerous,but this is going to upset a lott of 70+ people

Comments

• Yes, spoke to my disabled mum last night and she is not going to be happy. But I think she will go along with it when it is properly explained and it isn't me overacting. 
  • I am 70 and am not looking forward to this at all .. right now, there are ZERO reported cases in the whole of Lincolnshire (things change so quickly) .. who knows how soon, if ever, the disease will be totally out of control .. anyway, what will be will be .. I have stored away quite a bit of canned food and my freezers are full, just in case .. we will see
  • I am 70 and am not looking forward to this at all .. right now, there are ZERO reported cases in the whole of Lincolnshire (things change so quickly) .. who knows how soon, if ever, the disease will be totally out of control .. anyway, what will be will be .. I have stored away quite a bit of canned food and my freezers are full, just in case .. we will see
    It seems unlikely the government have thought this through - at least it gets a headline.
    It seems unlikely the government have thought this through - at least it gets a headline.
    thing is, no-one knows .. perhaps the disease travels and infects more easily than anyone knows, perhaps the Govt knows more than it is telling to avoid panic .. cliché time ..  only time will tell
    Hope you’ve got a good supply of books mate ... I know you normally have a few 
    thing is, no-one knows .. perhaps the disease travels and infects more easily than anyone knows, perhaps the Govt knows more than it is telling to avoid panic .. cliché time ..  only time will tell
    The whole idea seems half arsed. How will they identify the over 70s given we don't carry id papers.

Who will do the shopping, get medicines etc.

Our authorities seem to be clutching at straws and just want to appear to be doing something.
    Indeed ... many over 80’s don’t have access to the internet ... how do they get their shopping ... even with internet access, there are up to two weeks waiting lists for online shopping slots. 
  • No knowledge, but I think if herd immunisation is to work then self isolation will be wider than 70, think they will add in those younger with heart, lung etc conditions, otherwise the death rate will rise to high. As I say no knowledge.
  • edited March 2020
    stonemuse said:
    I am 70 and am not looking forward to this at all .. right now, there are ZERO reported cases in the whole of Lincolnshire (things change so quickly) .. who knows how soon, if ever, the disease will be totally out of control .. anyway, what will be will be .. I have stored away quite a bit of canned food and my freezers are full, just in case .. we will see
    stonemuse said:
    I am 70 and am not looking forward to this at all .. right now, there are ZERO reported cases in the whole of Lincolnshire (things change so quickly) .. who knows how soon, if ever, the disease will be totally out of control .. anyway, what will be will be .. I have stored away quite a bit of canned food and my freezers are full, just in case .. we will see

plenty of books both to read and reread thanks my friend .. quite a few dvds and lots of stuff on the telly and the BBC ..  I am about to cancel my sky/bt sports subs as there is no need  .. what I will miss is face to face meets and just getting out and about .. 
    It's not a case of being chicken or being brave, isolation will be a case of being practical in an attempt to preserve myself and other people. I have type 2 diabetes and mild copd, so, am theoretically a high risk individual, though both 'complaints' are under good control.

As I opined above, no-one really knows the full facts about this disease and I am sure that everyone,  not just the ancient and justified (lol) will have to change their entire lifestyles sooner or later.

Anyway, 'the word' to hunker down has not yet been given, so I am off for a walk. I may be some time ((:>)

@stonemuse , take good care of yourself and your loved ones, and that goes for everybody on here. This might all blow over soon, but I doubt it 

Just to add about @hoof_it_up_to_benty 's remark about identifying the over 70s .. there are databases and filing cabinets full of info about MOST of us. 'They' know where we are and what we are up to, what pensions we get, our health records etc. etc.
  • not sure about this. what of the people who are over the age of 70 but live with people under the age of 70? they can still go out, pick up the virus and bring it back with them unintentionally.  
  • Sponsored links:

• not sure about this. what of the people who are over the age of 70 but live with people under the age of 70? they can still go out, pick up the virus and bring it back with them unintentionally.  
    Maybe it's an attempt to limit those who contract it. 
  • this will be a devastating for someone i know. they have mental health issues and often need to get out of the house just to calm the panic attacks and to try and take their mind off certain things. 
  • no food,no medicine------no fucking chance

how many will die from isolation ?

probably 20% of this village are 70,about the same % of our volunteers are that age.We do a coffee morning where people who support their loved ones who have dementia can get out ,do shopping etc---what about them ?

The Italians have said they wont treat the old who have the virus----or they are a low priority-----didnt believe it really but this is the UK version.

Said days back i feared for our society with arseholes stock pilling etc what have we become if we walk away from the elderly ?

If you have 10 people who need intensive care and only have the capacity to treat 3 or 4, then you have to prioritise. What else do you do?
  • always been that way ,but saying a section of society is less of a priority hasn't
    I agree Lincs. I think the disease travels and infects more easily than we are being told. 
  • Not a dig here, as who the hell knows what the perfect course of action is. 

However for those who don't agree with this, what else would you do instead? Bareing in mind a lot of people are going to catch this, and the over 70s are most likely to die from it if they do.
  • how many of them will die from isolation,missing hospital appointments etc

many elderly dont ask for help two weeks ago we went and reset an elderly ladies power ,when we asked it had been off for two days !she didn't like to bother anyone !! her freezer was empty 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2020
    not sure about this. what of the people who are over the age of 70 but live with people under the age of 70? they can still go out, pick up the virus and bring it back with them unintentionally.  
    But that could happen anyway, couldn't it?  However, if they are only in contact with one or two people over a two week period then surely their chances of catching it are greatly reduced compared to going out as normal and coming into contact with 50, 60, 100 people. 
  • Chizz said:
    how many of them will die from isolation,missing hospital appointments etc

many elderly dont ask for help two weeks ago we went and reset an elderly ladies power ,when we asked it had been off for two days !she didn't like to bother anyone !! her freezer was empty 
    Hopefully none at all.  I don't know whether "isolation", per se can be a cause of death. And self-isolation means not going out unless necessary; it doesn't mean not going out even if you need to go to hospital.  

This measure seems very sensible to me.  It seems to be aimed at protecting the most vulnerable - i.e. making sure that older people are given the best chance possible of not catching the virus.  It doesn't help the rest of the community; but the rest of the community is broadly better-equipped to handle the symptoms and to overcome the illness. 

For elderly people, it offers good protection.  For younger people, with elderly relatives, it's something of a relief.  But the issue - as highlighted above - is the situation where you have, in one household, elderly people, people who work and/or people at school: it doesn't seem to offer much help in those circumstances. 
    I've no idea what the numbers are, but I imagine the vast number of elderly people live alone, and a few of those living with children might live in a granny flat anyway, so already have a significant level of isolation.

• Woy won't be happy!
  • Chizz said:
    how many of them will die from isolation,missing hospital appointments etc

Hopefully none at all.  I don't know whether "isolation", per se can be a cause of death. And self-isolation means not going out unless necessary; it doesn't mean not going out even if you need to go to hospital.  

This measure seems very sensible to me.  It seems to be aimed at protecting the most vulnerable - i.e. making sure that older people are given the best chance possible of not catching the virus.  It doesn't help the rest of the community; but the rest of the community is broadly better-equipped to handle the symptoms and to overcome the illness. 

For elderly people, it offers good protection.  For younger people, with elderly relatives, it's something of a relief.  But the issue - as highlighted above - is the situation where you have, in one household, elderly people, people who work and/or people at school: it doesn't seem to offer much help in those circumstances. 
    I've no idea what the numbers are, but I imagine the vast number of elderly people live alone, and a few of those living with children might live in a granny flat anyway, so already have a significant level of isolation.

"Living alone" is very different from "self-isolation" though.

• I am over 70 and live alone, I love walking go to the shops most days always want to be independent, my big worry is having to rely on  other people for my shopping, medicine if I have a problem with my house and need  someone urgently to come and repair something, I have an elderly cat she could need to go to the vets, I don't suppose the vet would pay a house visit.

If everyone over  70 has to isolate the House Of Lords would be nearly empty that would be a good thing.

I have just tried booking home delivery with Sainsbury's no slots for the next 3 weeks