Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Over 70s

Comments

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    how many of them will die from isolation,missing hospital appointments etc

many elderly dont ask for help two weeks ago we went and reset an elderly ladies power ,when we asked it had been off for two days !she didn't like to bother anyone !! her freezer was empty 
    Hopefully none at all.  I don't know whether "isolation", per se can be a cause of death. And self-isolation means not going out unless necessary; it doesn't mean not going out even if you need to go to hospital.  

This measure seems very sensible to me.  It seems to be aimed at protecting the most vulnerable - i.e. making sure that older people are given the best chance possible of not catching the virus.  It doesn't help the rest of the community; but the rest of the community is broadly better-equipped to handle the symptoms and to overcome the illness. 

For elderly people, it offers good protection.  For younger people, with elderly relatives, it's something of a relief.  But the issue - as highlighted above - is the situation where you have, in one household, elderly people, people who work and/or people at school: it doesn't seem to offer much help in those circumstances. 
    I've no idea what the numbers are, but I imagine the vast number of elderly people live alone, and a few of those living with children might live in a granny flat anyway, so already have a significant level of isolation.

"Living alone" is very different from "self-isolation" though.
    I was commenting on your final paragraph, about where there are shared mixed age households, and that the numbers are probably relatively small in relation to the total elderly population
  • Options
    @Goonerhater

I’m probably missing something here. I don’t understand your vitriol towards asking the over seventies to self isolate. It’s their best chance of avoiding contracting the virus. Tough and will need family a community support but still the safest strategy for that vulnerable group. Sadly in Italy there were choices to be made regarding treatment of patients who needed ventilators. Six patients, four ventilators available. Who would you offer those ventilators to ? A sixty five year old or an 85 year old ? In a perfect world that wouldn’t be necessary and can you imagine how those Italian doctors felt in making choices. Currently this country has around 5000 ventilators but Matt Hancock has said we need and are trying to get many many more. It’s a different argument to say why the NHS has 5 x less ITU beds than Germany but it’s a fact. Given the logistical problems here why are you not supporting the over seventies isolating themselves. Am I getting you wrong 

I am over 70 and live alone, I love walking go to the shops most days always want to be independent, my big worry is having to rely on  other people for my shopping, medicine if I have a problem with my house and need  someone urgently to come and repair something, I have an elderly cat she could need to go to the vets, I don't suppose the vet would pay a house visit.

If everyone over  70 has to isolate the House Of Lords would be nearly empty that would be a good thing.

I have just tried booking home delivery with Sainsbury's no slots for the next 3 weeks
    If the over 70s have to self isolate, priority should be given to them for home deliveries
    100%
  • Options
    not vitriol --as others have said how do these people get their meds?how do they get food?

there are 13 volunteers in this village who are badged ,safe guarding trained and DBS checked .out of that 13 at least 3 are 70. At a rough estimate i would say there are 300 people in this village over 70.A good many have mobility issues and dementia issues .Nearest supermarket is 4miles away.

A couple of weeks in isolation we (the volunteers) can cope ---thats assuming we get others coming forward.If its months then there is no chance we can support for that long.

Old people will die if they can't get to chrck ups etc or cant get meds their deaths might well be put into the statistic of this virus but ir eont be the virus that kills them.

We need time to know how many need food,medicine assistsnce before lock down----we need to be able to get to food before its stripped off the shelves and get it distributed.

i didnt become a volunteer to select who gets help and who dosnt,im here to help----that fucking awful choice is for the professionals---God help them with that.

Fantastic post GH. 👍
  • Options
    Woy won't be happy!
    Weally inappwopwiate.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I help look after my 99 year old grandmother. She gets by with paid helpers during the day and family members who sleep over in the evenings. I'm worried that the paid carers will drop out because they catch the virus and the older members of the family who sleep over are quarantined in their own houses. I'm tearing my hair out trying to get some of the senior members of the family to take the situation seriously but I can just see their eyes glaze over and I know they're just la la la ing every time I bring it up. Sometimes I wish it was more socially acceptable to slap people to wake them the **** up 🤯.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huskaris said:
    If anyone on here is over 70 (or high risk), and lives in the Charlton/Blackheath/Greenwich area and needs someone to get groceries or stuff for them, please let me know. I intend on doing a lot of cycling to stay fit to compensate for working from home and more than happy to help anyone on here.

Doesn't have to be a member of this forum, just PM me if you need help or know anyone that does.

That is great news, you are a star
  • Options
    I will self isolate......not too difficult for me.....live in a small country town.
    Take the dog out to the woods everyday (no need to get near anyone).......go shopping once a week, maybe even get Tesco’s to deliver?
    Have to go to the surgery to drop off my repeat prescription (which I could actually post through the outside letter box), and pharmacy once a month.
    Have today bought some throw away plastic gloves to wear at the supermarket.
    Quite confident I’ll be OK!
    Surely you can sort out repeat prescriptions online?
    You should look into this.
    I think ours deliver for free as well.
  • Options
    First I heard that the UK were utilising the Herd Immunisation method was yesterday on our family group WhatsApp. I was shocked. This is as a result of that. 

Sensible isolation should be carried out across all ages including school children in my view. Otherwise it will spread quickly and the elderly and those with underlying medical conditions will be at risk. 

• Options
    Rob said:
    First I heard that the UK were utilising the Herd Immunisation method was yesterday on our family group WhatsApp. I was shocked. This is as a result of that. 

Sensible isolation should be carried out across all ages including school children in my view. Otherwise it will spread quickly and the elderly and those with underlying medical conditions will be at risk. 

The elderly and vulnerable will be less at risk if they're self isolating

There are major issues, but for the time being it seems sensible to isolate the vulnerable people first
  • Options
    I will self isolate......not too difficult for me.....live in a small country town.
    Take the dog out to the woods everyday (no need to get near anyone).......go shopping once a week, maybe even get Tesco’s to deliver?
    Have to go to the surgery to drop off my repeat prescription (which I could actually post through the outside letter box), and pharmacy once a month.
    Yup, we do this via Pharmacy2U
  • Options
    not vitriol --as others have said how do these people get their meds?how do they get food?

there are 13 volunteers in this village who are badged ,safe guarding trained and DBS checked .out of that 13 at least 3 are 70. At a rough estimate i would say there are 300 people in this village over 70.A good many have mobility issues and dementia issues .Nearest supermarket is 4miles away.

A couple of weeks in isolation we (the volunteers) can cope ---thats assuming we get others coming forward.If its months then there is no chance we can support for that long.

Old people will die if they can't get to chrck ups etc or cant get meds their deaths might well be put into the statistic of this virus but ir eont be the virus that kills them.

We need time to know how many need food,medicine assistsnce before lock down----we need to be able to get to food before its stripped off the shelves and get it distributed.

i didnt become a volunteer to select who gets help and who dosnt,im here to help----that fucking awful choice is for the professionals---God help them with that.

If anything good can come out of this, hopefully it will be a return to a more community spirited country. If you think what our parents and grand parents lived through in terms of two world wars, including the blitz, the depression in the 1930s etc, they were very stoical. They stepped up to the challenges. This would be a good time for our generation to show we have the same spirit and a willingness to help others when needed.

Big thumbs up to Huskaris.
    Agreed, there is an onus on younger people to help the elderly now.

Forward planning is important as well, not leaving it to the last minute to renew repeat prescriptions, or even minor things like my father's hearing aid batteries which he collects from the hospital once every few weeks...

• Options
    Absolutely this unless the pharmacy SoundAs uses are not online.  
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    I am 70 and am not looking forward to this at all .. right now, there are ZERO reported cases in the whole of Lincolnshire (things change so quickly) .. who knows how soon, if ever, the disease will be totally out of control .. anyway, what will be will be .. I have stored away quite a bit of canned food and my freezers are full, just in case .. we will see
    Hope you’ve got a good supply of books mate ... I know you normally have a few 
    Lincs won't have time to read books. Following the Bonkers Shenanigans thread will fill his entire day.  :smile:

• Options

If anything good can come out of this, hopefully it will be a return to a more community spirited country. If you think what our parents and grand parents lived through in terms of two world wars, including the blitz, the depression in the 1930s etc, they were very stoical. They stepped up to the challenges. This would be a good time for our generation to show we have the same spirit and a willingness to help others when needed.

Big thumbs up to Huskaris.
    Agreed, there is an onus on younger people to help the elderly now.

Forward planning is important as well, not leaving it to the last minute to renew repeat prescriptions, or even minor things like my father's hearing aid batteries which he collects from the hospital once every few weeks...

Absolutely right.

Some of our senior citizens may not have the internet but will most likely have a phone (if not get them a PAYG). Regular daily contact to check on wellbeing, purchasing groceries or arranging online deliveries for them, and so on. All can be achieved with minimal if any close social interaction. This of course assumes they are reasonably independent and do not have medical needs requiring physical assistance.

If they have family members then the above should be their responsibility. If they don't then twinning within the community should be used.

I'm only 7 years short of the 70 landmark but every generation owes the previous generation. Twas ever thus.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    stonemuse said:
    I am 70 and am not looking forward to this at all .. right now, there are ZERO reported cases in the whole of Lincolnshire (things change so quickly) .. who knows how soon, if ever, the disease will be totally out of control .. anyway, what will be will be .. I have stored away quite a bit of canned food and my freezers are full, just in case .. we will see
    Hope you’ve got a good supply of books mate ... I know you normally have a few 
    Lincs won't have time to read books. Following the Bonkers Shenanigans thread will fill his entire day.  :smile:

I am trying to rationalise that being banged up for a MINIMUM 4 months might be a good time to wean myself off my dreadful CL addiction .. cold turkey .. It won't be pretty or easy .. 
  • Options
    Just received my D.V.D copy of Sunday Bloody Sunday, hows that for timing. Incidentally part of it was filmed at Greenwich.
  • Options
    I am over 70 and have emphysema, so I am one of the "no hope so do not waste hospital beds" people. I know I am supposed to isolate myself for 3 to 4 months, so Health Minister said, but who will walk my dogs and get my shopping? My wife is also over 70 with COPD
  • Options
    So, I know over 70s who are in work. Will the government ensure they don’t lose pay?
    For some this might be the crux of the matter. No money or break this coming diktat.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I could be wrong but I think you can walk your dogs as you can do this without being within 2 metres of other people. Just take the precautions before and after. More complicated but I think this will possibly apply to shopping too if you don't have anybody to do it for you. Washing precautions before and after. Stay away from cashier and other shoppers (contactless). I would say that would be a form of self isolation. But if this is introduced, all eventualities have to be covered. What about elderly people living with younger family members for instance.
  • Options
    Sadly I can't see any sport taking place for quite a long time, if us old ones are being banged up for months, probably means, hardly any cricket this summer and maybe the start of the next football season could be affected.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    If anyone on here is over 70 (or high risk), and lives in the Charlton/Blackheath/Greenwich area and needs someone to get groceries or stuff for them, please let me know. I intend on doing a lot of cycling to stay fit to compensate for working from home and more than happy to help anyone on here.

Doesn't have to be a member of this forum, just PM me if you need help or know anyone that does.
    First post from anyone suggesting positive action. We need a sense of community to come through and seen little sign  of this so far.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I live in Shepherdswell a small village in Kent, and fortunately some of the Parish Council members had the foresight some weeks ago to set up an action group to cope with any situation such as this.  Fingers crossed when the time comes we will be prepared to look after what is mostly a senior generation living here.