Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Over 70s

Comments

• Options

I am over 70 and live alone, I love walking go to the shops most days always want to be independent, my big worry is having to rely on  other people for my shopping, medicine if I have a problem with my house and need  someone urgently to come and repair something, I have an elderly cat she could need to go to the vets, I don't suppose the vet would pay a house visit.

If everyone over  70 has to isolate the House Of Lords would be nearly empty that would be a good thing.

I have just tried booking home delivery with Sainsbury's no slots for the next 3 weeks
    They won't have anything to delivery in three weeks, the panic buyers will have filled all their spare bedrooms with loo roll, pasta, and baked beans.
  • Options
    A totally safe shop based on common sense. Wash your hands and go to supermarket. Buy your food using the D.I.Y. till. Don't touch your face at all. Get home and wash thoroughly. Shop done without getting within 2 metres of anybody.
  • Options
    That’s Kanu fucked then. 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    aliwibble said:
    You could always try cutting it yourself Fanny :-)
    Hmmm.

Guess I have had some practice in bush trimming.....

...in the Memorial Garden.

:smile:
  • Options

I am over 70 and live alone, I love walking go to the shops most days always want to be independent, my big worry is having to rely on  other people for my shopping, medicine if I have a problem with my house and need  someone urgently to come and repair something, I have an elderly cat she could need to go to the vets, I don't suppose the vet would pay a house visit.

If everyone over  70 has to isolate the House Of Lords would be nearly empty that would be a good thing.

I have just tried booking home delivery with Sainsbury's no slots for the next 3 weeks
    They won't have anything to delivery in three weeks, the panic buyers will have filled all their spare bedrooms with loo roll, pasta, and baked beans.

A neighbour has kindly offered to get my shopping when isolation comes, they use click and collect some I would hope to get the same time slot.
  • Options
    MuttleyCAFC said:Play God??? 
    no food,no medicine------no fucking chance

how many will die from isolation ?

probably 20% of this village are 70,about the same % of our volunteers are that age.We do a coffee morning where people who support their loved ones who have dementia can get out ,do shopping etc---what about them ?

The Italians have said they wont treat the old who have the virus----or they are a low priority-----didnt believe it really but this is the UK version.

Said days back i feared for our society with arseholes stock pilling etc what have we become if we walk away from the elderly ?

If you have 10 people who need intensive care and only have the capacity to treat 3 or 4, then you have to prioritise. What else do you do?

• Options

Iceland Foods at Kennedy Centre will be opening their store between 8-9am for the elderly commencing Tuesday 17th March. Could the wider public please respect this hour, and understand that this time is allocated for elderly people only.
    Iceland appeal to peoples better nature when realising who needs priority.

Could work in smaller areas over here.  If the 70+ have to isolate then the 60-70 year olds can help neigbours out.

A good idea. Weekday mornings tend to be when pensioners shop most often anyway
  • Options
    Just got an email from Aldi that they're banning people buying more than 4 of any item. Should help the pensioners (and anyone else for that matter) get hold of what they need.
  • Options
    I’ve got plenty of these
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There was something similar in the 70s and 80s. I forget what it was called.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Izal was pretty grim back in the day.
    One of the most disgusting things in history.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    If you want some Waitrose sells it, although I didn’t see any on Saturday 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    One of the most disgusting things in history.
    Didn't absorb anything, just moved it around!
  • Options
    This is the stuff. I can still smell it now
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Izale McLeod was even worse  :D
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    This is the stuff. I can still smell it now
    Was that the stuff like grease proof paper? About as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.

Went shopping this morning to a large Tescos which had been open since 06.00 and was being compared to Christmas Eve activity by the staff! Toilet rolls shelving were completely bare. B&Ms nearby must have had a delivery but only had a few left and were going like hot cakes. Madness unless I've misunderstood the symptoms of covid 19 😲.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @RedChaser, see you in six months mate.
  • Options
    You must be 70 little legs
  • Options
    @Goonerhater

I’m probably missing something here. I don’t understand your vitriol towards asking the over seventies to self isolate. It’s their best chance of avoiding contracting the virus. Tough and will need family a community support but still the safest strategy for that vulnerable group. Sadly in Italy there were choices to be made regarding treatment of patients who needed ventilators. Six patients, four ventilators available. Who would you offer those ventilators to ? A sixty five year old or an 85 year old ? In a perfect world that wouldn’t be necessary and can you imagine how those Italian doctors felt in making choices. Currently this country has around 5000 ventilators but Matt Hancock has said we need and are trying to get many many more. It’s a different argument to say why the NHS has 5 x less ITU beds than Germany but it’s a fact. Given the logistical problems here why are you not supporting the over seventies isolating themselves. Am I getting you wrong 

If the over 70s have to self isolate, priority should be given to them for home deliveries
    @blackpool72 said he thinks the delivery charge is a bit excessive.
  • Options
    Oi I'm not three score and ten yet! Make that 3 months 😜
  • Options
    @Goonerhater

I’m probably missing something here. I don’t understand your vitriol towards asking the over seventies to self isolate. It’s their best chance of avoiding contracting the virus. Tough and will need family a community support but still the safest strategy for that vulnerable group. Sadly in Italy there were choices to be made regarding treatment of patients who needed ventilators. Six patients, four ventilators available. Who would you offer those ventilators to ? A sixty five year old or an 85 year old ? In a perfect world that wouldn’t be necessary and can you imagine how those Italian doctors felt in making choices. Currently this country has around 5000 ventilators but Matt Hancock has said we need and are trying to get many many more. It’s a different argument to say why the NHS has 5 x less ITU beds than Germany but it’s a fact. Given the logistical problems here why are you not supporting the over seventies isolating themselves. Am I getting you wrong 

If the over 70s have to self isolate, priority should be given to them for home deliveries
    In which case these supermarkets should be delivering for free - they are not offering the reductions that were available prior to this crisis so, with this and the bulk buying, their profit margins must be going through the roof anyway
  • Options
    @Goonerhater

@Goonerhater

Fuck corona virus I'm gonna kill ya 
  • Options
    @The_Organiser
    Over 70's and Pregnant women now, so that's our partners locked at home now.