Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Relegation

I think I am now genuinely worried. Are you guys and if not, when will you be?

Comments

• Yeah, our form is relegation, and that start of the season buffer has largely disappeared. It reminds me of the last time we got relegated, we started well and faded badly when injuries hit. We have a far better squad and better manager though.

I think I'll start worrying at the end of January. We'll hopefully have a chance to bring in some reinforcement, plus we SHOULD have a fair few players back by then. Unfortunately not Cullen or JFC I don't think, and we're really, really missing that type of player.
  • 4 of the bottom six to come to the Valley. Unlike the loses to these in recent months we need to beat them at home. Been worried for weeks but appeared to be the only one smelling early doors coffee.
  • 4 of the bottom six to come to the Valley. Unlike the loses to these in recent months we need to beat them at home. Been worried for weeks but appeared to be the only one smelling early doors coffee.
    Yep, without even thinking of a takeover or injuries , January looks like hell fixture wise .

even with new ownership it’s not a foregone conclusion that we stay up .

doesnt mean at every game I go to I won’t be roaring them on 

its just a personal view that we are deep in the doodoo 

• Looking at the next 6 games......

Bristol City home
    Derby away
    Swansea away
    West Brom home
    Preston away
    Fulham home

It's not going to get any easier.

We've got around 11-12 players injured, at least half of whom there's no definitive return date for. The midfield is decimated. 

If the takeover doesn't go through by early Jan then we're in big trouble as Roland obviously isn't going to sanction any signings and spending whilst he's waiting to get out.
  • I think we will stay up take over or not. If we don't loose any players in Jan. 

2 or 3 midfielders coming back will make a massive difference, even if one of them is Ledley getting fit.  Gallagher and Pratley need some rest and bringing 3 proper adult footballers off the bench during games will also improve things. 

• In bow we trust.

we aren’t getting a hiding each game as 15/16 season. With a few 1st team players back we will be fine. 
    The problem we have is that current players are getting injured quicker than injured ones are returning.
  • I guess it’s good to talk about it, but I don’t think it’s particularly helpful at this stage of the season, although it seems a potential looming possibility, I’m hoping we are due an upturn in form, Millwall stayed up with 10 wins last season, I think we’ve got 6 already? Stay positive, surely it’s going to turn around 

We all know what present we’d really like for Christmas, and I don’t mean M&S socks!
  • Long way to go yet, if 50 points is safety we are half way there on half the season played. Hoping that we get a bit more luck in the second half of the season which should be enough to see us over the 50 points.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2019
    SDAddick said:
    Yeah, our form is relegation, and that start of the season buffer has largely disappeared. It reminds me of the last time we got relegated, we started well and faded badly when injuries hit. We have a far better squad and better manager though.

I think I'll start worrying at the end of January. We'll hopefully have a chance to bring in some reinforcement, plus we SHOULD have a fair few players back by then. Unfortunately not Cullen or JFC I don't think, and we're really, really missing that type of player.
    But last time we were also playing terrible football and if I remember rightly losing by 2+ goals. This season we’re mostly playing well and have a more determined bunch and when we do lose it’s by the 1 goal (except Sheff game). 

Injuries are a killer this season, and as someone said earlier, new players are getting injured quicker than injured players are coming back fully fit. 

Im definitely in the concerned camp, although I’ve always been in the glass-half-empty view on life, but still feel if we can somehow get the majority of ours boys back on the pitch by end of January, then we’ll not finish in one of those relegation spots. 

• We're not helped by the fact that two of the players we signed, namely Hemed and Kayal, who with 4 starts between them this season, for whatever reason, have not been playing.

I suspect that someone like Gallagher, who is young and wants to play football and prove himself, has more hunger in his belly than a couple of 31/32 year olds who are still getting paid Premier League wages. Equally, it might just be that, because of their age, they are more susceptible to injury and take longer to recover but I do wonder when I see players readily going off to international duty but then being unavailable on their return - or at any time in the near future!

That's not to say we shouldn't sign 30 somethings because Pratley has proven that he still has that hunger and isn't so injury prone. But for every Pratley there's a Kayal, Hemed, Ledley, Parker, Foley, Best, Ward etc etc. And is you are already two down from a small squad to start with then you will be in trouble. 

The final irony is that we took so long and sweated so much to get these two over the line.

• My concern will rise if Taylor does go, Chelsea renege on Gallagher and send him to Burnley (which would be wrong for his development) William's gets injured, which is a given, Cullen gets a recall!
  • Chill.
    We are 6 points clear of relegation zone with a far superior goal diff. Our winless run wont continue forever, 5 more wins and that would mean effectively 8 wins for the teams below which i cant see happening.
    Plus, there is always one team that plummets in 2nd half of season, lets hope its not us continuing our plummet !

• I think we have to take some comfort from the fact that, even with injuries, all bar two of our defeats were by the odd goal (and the other two were by two goals) whereas half our defeats when we were last relegated from the Championship were by three or more goals. Equally, as much as every match is a real test, there isn't a team in this division that we can't compete with - we beat Leeds after all. 
  • Chill.
    We are 6 points clear of relegation zone with a far superior goal diff. Our winless run wont continue forever, 5 more wins and that would mean effectively 8 wins for the teams below which i cant see happening.
    Plus, there is always one team that plummets in 2nd half of season, lets hope its not us continuing our plummet !

It could however quite feasibly continue for the next 6 games, by which time we could well be in the bottom 3. Once you're stuck down there, it's pretty hard to get out of it.

I do however think we'll be ok if ESI take over in good time to make some January signings. 
  • Absolutely we should be concerned. Our recent run is relegation form. If we lose Taylor and perhaps Gallagher in January they will be extraordinarily hard to replace. Without a takeover and money to spend I think the next few months could be very difficult.
  • Sponsored links:

• We haven’t won a game for a quarter of a season so it definitely is time to worry. January will be a huge transfer window for us.
  • My main concern is the takeover goes through - far bigger concern than relegation.
  • I think if you just look at wins, draws, loses and points then we’re about where I’d have guessed at the start of the season. If you look at the fact we are without a win in 11 games it appears worse than it is.

It doesn’t matter as we’re about to go on a 17 game winning streak.
  • se9addick said:
    We haven’t won a game for a quarter of a season so it definitely is time to worry. January will be a huge transfer window for us.
    Looking at the bigger picture then I agree that our biggest concern at this point is the takeover happening. Having said that dropping back into league one would be an absolute disaster. Look at Sunderland or Portsmouth who are struggling to impact that league. We know just how hard it is to haul out of that division. 
  • se9addick said:
    We haven’t won a game for a quarter of a season so it definitely is time to worry. January will be a huge transfer window for us.
    Looking at the bigger picture then I agree that our biggest concern at this point is the takeover happening. Having said that dropping back into league one would be an absolute disaster. Look at Sunderland or Portsmouth who are struggling to impact that league. We know just how hard it is to haul out of that division. 
    Biggest disaster would be RD remaining as owner.
  • edited December 2019
    That’s what I said
  • Agree with Blackpool72 100%
  • If we’d have lost yesterday I’d feel a lot more worried than I do now, I think we need to sign 5 players minimum in January and we’ll be fine, saying that though if they’re anything like Hemed & Kayal it won’t make any difference
  • A thread about promotion or relegation will not change our attitudes going to the Valley. I'd argue that it does serve a purpose, else  would not have started it with a calm and open question. 
  • Hemed and Kayal have probably made more international appearances since we’ve had them on loan than Charlton appearances.