Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Relegation

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2020
    If we’d been winning whilst not playing well people would say that’s the sign of a good team
    We’ve been losing whilst playing (allegedly) well is that the sign of a shit team 

Allegedly?
    Someone thinks that 45 mins at Swansea, was the second best 45 mins they've ever seen from a Charlton team.
  • Options
    If we’d been winning whilst not playing well people would say that’s the sign of a good team
    We’ve been losing whilst playing (allegedly) well is that the sign of a shit team 

Allegedly?
    Someone thinks that 45 mins at Swansea, was the second best 45 mins they've ever seen from a Charlton team.
    Is that the same 45 + 7 that we got our first save out of the Swansea keeper in the 52nd minute of that wonderful half of football (that’s how shit we currently are , fans are hallucinating)
  • Options

Allegedly?
    I'll second that.
    You had to be there in the flesh to appreciate the performance.

• Options
    The only positive atm is that we are only losing by the odd goal. Our GD i miles better than any of the bottom 6 or 7 clubs. A point last night would have moved us above Birmingham purely on GD.  We nicked 3rd last season purely on GD (different situation then as it was more to do with goals scored than goals conceeded). 

However.

We are losing games. Not winning or drawing but losing them. We are dropping like a stone because we cant get even build a small platform of a couple of draws & a win. Its only because we beat Bristol City on Boxing day that there is some light between us & the bottom 3. 1 win in 13 & only a couple of draws in there as well. The rot has got to stop NOW. Do something to grind out a couple of draws (esp as we have tough games this month) and then head into February with some confidence as we then have a month of 6 pointers. If we dont we will go down as we wont win the big games against the bottom 3.
    It's bad, but don't make it worse than it is.

• Options
    I've been getting twitchy this last month or two as

a) our injury crisis has coincided with a run of "6 pointers" which we've done badly in, rather than games where you'd "accept" a defeat. 
    b) the teams below us has started improving. Boro have flown past us, while Reading, Barnsley, Huddersfield and Stoke have all improved under new managers.
    c) our players take an ETERNITY to return from injury. And the get injured again.
    This is the big worry for me. Why do our players seem to be out longer than the others?
    • Do ours get worse injuries?
    • Are our medical facilities not up to scratch?
    • Are we more cautious about bringing them back (recurring injuries suggest not)?
    • Or does it just seem worse because we want our players to return quickly, but not others?
  • Options
    Not a lot wrong with our defence......the back 6 of Solly, Matthews, Pearce, Lockyer, Sarr & Purrington have been the mainstays of the campaign so far & at the start were doing pretty well.

What hasn't helped is that since Williams, Cullen & Taylor have been injured the midfield & attack hasnt been strong enough to be able to keep the ball up the pitch long enough. In recent games our midfield gets over run & therefore putting a lot of pressure on the defence. The fact we haven't been shipping in goals left, right & centre shows its not a defensive problem. 

Get the aforementioned players back, as well as 3 or 4 additions then we may find that we are starting to score a few more & thus putting pressure on the other team.....and not vice versa.
    Spot on with the midfield analysis-injuries there have cost us and will continue to do so until injured players and hopefully new signings, come to the rescue. With Taylor and Bonne out we also now have no real goalscorers. As well as the youngsters played in the second half we ARE in a fight to stay up and it will go to the wire. I think Luton will drop so it's just whoever joins them.
  • Options
    Yeah, but their software only computes results bare statistics and doesn't take account of context.

It doesn't know about injury crises, key players returning and new signings.

• Options
    Hull as well, they're two points off sixth at the moment

Keep Bowen and there is no way they'll just about finish ahead of us!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I believe we will survive by more than two points ... not that it matters, I would accept that prediction. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    I believe we will survive by more than two points ... not that it matters, I would accept that prediction. 
    I cannot see Barnsley being that far adrift at the end meaning it will put pressure on the likes of us.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    A loss and being at 25 points yday would have worried. BONNE amd Boys made sure I went to sleep stress free.

P
  • Options
    Thank god, we've just had the press conference of the decade and I thought some were already on here mentioning the R word.
  • Options
    I'm worried.
  • Options
    I do not see how this team are going to get 21 points from the 19 games left, made even less likely now Connor Gallagher is recalled by Chelsea. Sorry to say I believe it is league 1 next season. Being so close to the relegation zone is going to make it very difficult to get decent players to sign for us in this window, which is another reason to believe relegation is most likely.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Lets wait until the end of the window before we all shit ourselves. Losing Conor may result in the new board putting in a bit more than they were planning on doing so at this stage and us getting in 4 or 5 good players. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't forget all them injured players coming back at the beginning of May we'll be flying 
    Bang on cue, OoohAaaaargh ...... what would we do without you?  :smile:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Don't forget all them injured players coming back at the beginning of May we'll be flying 

You'd still be dreaming of promotion this season and at worst midtable mediocrity .... I just pre warn you all of the misfortune to come,  sort of Mystic Morts
  • Options
    Don't forget all them injured players coming back at the beginning of May  June we'll be flying 
    Corrected for you.

What are the percentages now?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

You'd still be dreaming of promotion this season and at worst midtable mediocrity .... I just pre warn you all of the misfortune to come,  sort of Mystic Morts
    Sorry, mate ...... I should have given you credit for foreseeing the biggest injury crisis in Charlton's entire League history.

Without that, we may all still be dreaming of promotion this season and at worst midtable mediocrity.

• Options
    msomerton said:
    I do not see how this team are going to get 21 points from the 19 games left, made even less likely now Connor Gallagher is recalled by Chelsea. Sorry to say I believe it is league 1 next season. Being so close to the relegation zone is going to make it very difficult to get decent players to sign for us in this window, which is another reason to believe relegation is most likely.
    hysterical defeatist nonsense

how many goals or assists has he contributed in the last month or so?

we've got plenty and certainly enough to keep ahead of just 3 other sides
    Barnsley Wigan and Luton are near enough adrift already, avoid defeat in our remaining games against those 3 and the rest takes care of itself - we were never a one man(boy) team - worst case scenario we'll need 48 points to stay up, minimum 3 from those already mentioned leaves 16 from 16.
    Chelsea's charmless chicanery will catalyze action from MS and his paymasters
    we'll be fine, it might be ugly, bumpy, far from enjoyable but we'll be fine, we'll end up with 53 or 54 points comfortably
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Don't forget all them injured players coming back at the beginning of May  June we'll be flying 
    Corrected for you.

What are the percentages now?
    77% 13th-21st ..........................23% Relegation
  • Options
    msomerton said:

Barnsley Wigan and Luton are near enough adrift already, avoid defeat in our remaining games against those 3 and the rest takes care of itself - we were never a one man(boy) team - worst case scenario we'll need 48 points to stay up, minimum 3 from those already mentioned leaves 16 from 16.
    we'll be fine, it might be ugly, bumpy, far from enjoyable but we'll be fine, we'll end up with 53 or 54 points comfortably
    Weve got plenty of what?
    Players or points
  • Options
    msomerton said:

Wigan and Luton look likely candidates for relegation, but Barnsley have really turned the corner. Our game against them could be season defining
  • Options
    We aren't exactly the form team. 

If we don't get the right players in this month it will become a very real possibility. Especially if we have any other injuries.