Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Relegation

Comments

• Options
    mendonca said:
    A thread about promotion or relegation will not change our attitudes going to the Valley. I'd argue that it does serve a purpose, else  would not have started it with a calm and open question. 
    Of course it can.

The crowd play a big part if it's positive - and each one of us there plays a part in that.
    Make The Valley a positive place and the team get lifted by that.

If the crowd are anxious and fearful, don't you understand that negativity gets to the players and makes them anxious and fearful?

It starts with our thinking - and discussion on forums like this can spread our thoughts to others, to the fans we sit with, the crowd in general ..... and ultimately the players, who feel the heavy atmosphere and find it difficult to perform in a stadium of anxiety and negativity. 

Go and talk to Lee Bowyer and ask him what he thinks.

• Options
    By the end of January we will know if the rest of the season is going to be enjoyable as we has brought new fit championship players in, kept our main striker and unfortunately had to terminate some loan players to free up potential new loans.

If there really is a few more weeks of this limbo land with no one at the rudder then we end could up with having the best budget in League 1.

It's must be the former because the latter would break many Charlton hearts.
  • Options
    Confident that with players slowly coming back, we will turn the corner. 

With the passion this team shows, no way are we going down, in fact I predict top half final position. 
  • Options
    Jesus, our fans are the Arsenal of the championship. Get football into prospective.
    In May we had a truly amazing day, in the summer both Bowyer and Gallen work their magic in signing great technical players.
    Great performances against Derby, Leeds, West Brom, Fulham, all with budgets way out of our league and fancied to get automatic promotion or play offs.
    Take out three of our best players in Taylor, Williams and Cullen, then factor in the injury list and tell that other teams would not suffer not just in this league but all leagues.
    Cruel last minute goals at Bristol City, Millwall, at home to Huddersfield Cardiff and Hull, and with a full strength team I know we would have beaten teams in the last 12 games.
    Stop moaning, being negative and get behind the team. 
    Staying up was the teams goal at the start of the season and we will build on this next season. 
    Cardiff equaliser was in the 73rd minute.
  • Options
    The interesting thing is that the common comment on Derby is that their poor away form is what's preventing them mounting a promotion charge, and they're ONE point above us! They're next 3 games are Wigan away, us at home and Barnsley at home...

The other results this weekend weren't great in that Boro won the 6 pointer against Stoke, Barnsley beat Millwall to continue their improvement (the one time I wanted Millwall to get something), and both Huddersfield and Reading won. We've got to win the 6 pointers in the second half of the season
  • Options
    Jesus, our fans are the Arsenal of the championship. Get football into prospective.
    In May we had a truly amazing day, in the summer both Bowyer and Gallen work their magic in signing great technical players.
    Great performances against Derby, Leeds, West Brom, Fulham, all with budgets way out of our league and fancied to get automatic promotion or play offs.
    Take out three of our best players in Taylor, Williams and Cullen, then factor in the injury list and tell that other teams would not suffer not just in this league but all leagues.
    Cruel last minute goals at Bristol City, Millwall, at home to Huddersfield Cardiff and Hull, and with a full strength team I know we would have beaten teams in the last 12 games.
    Staying up was the teams goal at the start of the season and we will build on this next season. 
    Cardiff equaliser was in the 73rd minute.
    Point proven...petty, 
  • Options
    I don't think anyone is particularly moaning and we're all well aware of the budget constraints Bowyer has been working with and the decimation of the squad to injuries. But we're entitled to discuss the possibility of relegation when we've plummeted down the table and haven't won in 11 games.

Yesterday's support is proof that everyone is behind the team, and i think we all believe we'll be ok if ESI take over and buy players in January, but i don't think it's 'moaning' or 'being negative' to discuss the problems we'll have if for whatever reason ESI don't take over in the next 5 weeks.
  • Options
    Outside of August we've probably been one of the worst sides in the League. 

Need to turn it around and quickly. Hopefully yesterday's winner was the start. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If the takeover collapses I will be worried. 
    If it goes through I won't be.
    Simple as that for me.
    This
  • Options
    Agree with Blackpool72 100%
    Makes a nice change to posting on the Brexit thread. 
    It's about 3%over there :)
  • Options
    Been to 7 away games this season. In EVERY one of those we've let in 2 goals

Hard to win many matches if you concede so regularly. On a positive note we've never been tanked, but it would have been better to lose a couple heavily BUT to keep a couple of clean sheets on other occasions.
  • Options
    Hopefully yesterday's winner was the start. 
    Felt like a winner when you’re as poor as we are atm but unfortunately it was only a point gained 
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but we didn't win yesterday. 
  • Options
    If the takeover collapses I will be worried. 
    If it goes through I won't be.
    Simple as that for me.
    Agree 99%  :)

Would only add that the new owners will also need to be the real deal. Not necessarily minted but willing and able to fund new staff and player contracts, bring in 1 or 2 quality signings and maybe 2 or 3 higher quality loans.
  • Options
    I can't seem to find the "remove notifications" button. With the risk of being told I am going off-topic, how can I can disable this?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    I can't seem to find the "remove notifications" button. With the risk of being told I am going off-topic, how can I can disable this?
    You've clicked the star on the homepage. Uncheck it
  • Options

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but we didn't win yesterday. 
    Petty 
  • Options
    When you've got the money, then i suppose you can be a bit more selective in player purchase, in that injury prone players are dismissed and the injury and appreance record is scrutinised a bit more. So, the likes of Page,Williams would likely not be purchased. However, i think that the injury record of the Israelis is good from what i can recall.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We've been truly done by injuries the last couple of months. We aren't in my opinion a bottom 3 side when we have 70% of our players fit.

Just look who's to come back;

Williams
    Taylor only just returning and will take a few weeks to be firing on all cylinders
    Cullen
    Field
    Oztumer
    JFC
    Lapslie
    Leko

Get 3 or 4 of those firing on all cylinders and we'll be OK in my view. Don't think we are going to trouble the play offs mind you but stranger things have happened (ever the optimist).

Key is we don't lose anyone important in January and could do with a few more bodies in loans or otherwise.

I'd only be concerned truly if Taylor went, wasn't replaced and the injuries remained as now.

We should have had a point Huddersfield, anther 2 v hull..... etc.

Keep the faith!
  • Options
    We haven't won for 11 games. We went down last time when we had a similar bad run.
  • Options
    I'm not worried until January 31st at whatever the time the transfer window shuts if we haven't done any deals.
  • Options
    We haven't won for 11 games. We went down last time when we had a similar bad run.
    Agreed, but the whole feeling around the place was bad, managers, players, it wasn't good. A completely different type of player and management now. Of course it's possible, as it is for almost any team, but I think we'll have enough to survive, they are all certainly pulling in the same direction and you can tell the togetherness.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I remember this Sheffield side having a poor start, they then really kicked on. Won the league by 14 points was it?

If we can do a third of what they did, we will stay up.

• Options
    No chance of Relegation.
  • Options
    Relegation is definitely a possibility unless our luck with injuries changes. We have so few fit midfielders it's getting ridiculous.

What can LB and JJ do?
  • Options
    Yeah Cullen’s injury has turned this year on its head - even without Taylor Bonne was flies b a job at least, but Cullen is massive 
  • Options
    Relegation is not happening. 
  • Options
    A loss and being at 25 points yday would have worried. BONNE amd Boys made sure I went to sleep stress free.