Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2019/20 Serie A

Thought I’d start a new thread seeing as we have one for most other leagues.

I love the Italian league, more than the Premier League so this thread could easily turn into me just talking to myself.

The league starts this weekend.

Comments

• edited August 2019
    The transfer window is still open for a couple of weeks so I’m not going to do any in depth previews or anything until we know how the teams will look.

Juventus (Mandzukic, Higuain and Dybala all on offer, plus they’ll surely need to move on a couple of the 80 odd midfielders on their books)
    Napoli (Chucky Lozano still to complete, another bid for Icardi too perhaps?)
    Inter (Icardi off? Can they agree on wages for Sanchez?)
    Fiorentina (Ribery and Boateng signed and almost doubled the average age of the squad, will they go for a new 9 or stick with Simone?)
    Brescia (promoted last year and signed Balotelli, now rumoured talks with Guarin and Rami too. Wow)

and a hell of a lot more still to play out.

Going to be an interesting few weeks, that’s for sure
  • edited August 2019
    one thing worth mentioning before the first round of games.

Sarri is suffering with pneumonia and it looks like he won’t be on the sidelines of Juventus first game this weekend.

fingers crossed he gets better soon (I’m not sure the 60 a day habit is doing him any favours)

IF he’s back in the dugout for week 2.......Juventus vs Napoli

edit. Now confirmed Sarri will miss the Napoli game too
  • Hoping to get to Verona at some point this season for a Hellas game after reading a season with Verona
  • cafc4life said:
    Hoping to get to Verona at some point this season for a Hellas game after reading a season with Verona
    Wonderful book, they are now my second fav Italian team. 
  • Hellas's fans are REALLY noisy. I wrote a blog on here a few years about a visit to the Bentegodi, should show up if you search (I can't sorry). 

Really nice city as well plus it has a few other cities/grounds within easy reach. 
  • RedPanda said:
    Hellas's fans are REALLY noisy. I wrote a blog on here a few years about a visit to the Bentegodi, should show up if you search (I can't sorry). 

Really nice city as well plus it has a few other cities/grounds within easy reach. 
    Guessing you mean this one

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/58458/new-article-an-afternoon-with-verona
  • Just turned the Juve game on. Their squad is ridiculous.

Buffon, De Ligt, Danilo, Can, Rabiot, Bentancur, Bernadeschi, Dybala, Mandzukic.................and that is just their subs bench! Rugani and Ramsey are not even on the bench.

Juve's 2nd XI would win Serie A.
  • Just a few weeks ago it looked like Khedira was on his way out. But he really impressed Sarri in pre season who said recently he has a big role to play this season. Sounds like he really trusts him to get across the tactical style he wants to implement. Especially in that position where he can see and dictate the play.
  • Just a few weeks ago it looked like Khedira was on his way out. But he really impressed Sarri in pre season who said recently he has a big role to play this season. Sounds like he really trusts him to get across the tactical style he wants to implement. Especially in that position where he can see and dictate the play.
    Khedira, Can, Matuidi, Rabiot, Bentancur, Pjanic and Ramsey. Far too many midfielders.
  • Higuain must have been happy when Sarri got the job. He was the main man when the Italian was in charge at Napoli.
    Based on today’s performance he’ll be a valuable asset to Juventus this season. His work off the ball was very good, lovely movement and his ability to draw the attention of multiple defenders is a a huge benefit, especially to a team with the likes of Costa, Ronaldo etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Napoli beat Fiorentina 4-3 in Florence.

if you get a chance take a look at the highlights, VAR doesn’t show itself too well. 

How they saw a jump and dive over an outstretched leg as a penalty is ridiculous 
  • cafc4life said:
    Hoping to get to Verona at some point this season for a Hellas game after reading a season with Verona
    One of the best football books ever written. Have your read the Miracle of Castel Di Sangro? That’s possibly better. 
  • Kolarov is the best free kick taker in the world imo. Another stunning one tonight
  • Kolarov is the best free kick taker in the world imo. Another stunning one tonight
    One of those “two keepers wouldn’t have stopped it” freekicks. 
  • Massive soft spot for Roma but how Mancini isn't starting over Juan Jesus or Fazio is baffling...

On another note this season is going to be fantastic I think. 

So much change, some amazing transfer deals... Mainly on the basis of certain tax reliefs on foreign players... But still, should be really competitive.

As I write this Genoa just scored an equaliser.... 
  • Juan Jesus has been absolutely shocking for Roma. 
  • Napoli winning by the odd goal in 7 yesterday
    Genoa down 3 times and level 3 times, plus Atalanta back from 2-0 to 3-2 up
    all on opening weekend but there are still people that see the Italian league as too defensive, tactical and boring.
  • Napoli winning by the odd goal in 7 yesterday
    all on opening weekend but there are still people that see the Italian league as too defensive, tactical and boring.
    To be honest, it's easy for people to say that because they always will.

They still have cult figures, controversy and amazing talent.

Gasperini, Papu Gomez and Atalanta as a whole are always the ones to watch.

I like Giampaolo for what he did at Samp but he started a 3 man Centre mid for Milan today of Paqueta, Calhanoglu and the tripe show of Borini.... Of course they lost to Udinese without a whimper. They will regret selling Cutrone, not because he is a world beater but because he was a dogged worker. 
  • Fiiiiiish said:
    Napoli winning by the odd goal in 7 yesterday
    To be honest, it's easy for people to say that because they always will.

They still have cult figures, controversy and amazing talent.

Gasperini, Papu Gomez and Atalanta as a whole are always the ones to watch.

I like Giampaolo for what he did at Samp but he started a 3 man Centre mid for Milan today of Paqueta, Calhanoglu and the tripe show of Borini.... Of course they lost to Udinese without a whimper. They will regret selling Cutrone, not because he is a world beater but because he was a dogged worker. 
    Spot on.

Cutrone worked so hard for that team, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think maybe Piatek won’t have such a blistering season this time and that midfield fills nobody with confidence, especially if Milan want to make top 4. Their biggest plus point is that all their rivals have European schedules to deal with too.

I don’t really have a team but I’ve had a soft spot for Atalanta for a few years now. I worry a bit for them because although they have kept the team together (barring Mancini to Rome) they haven’t really signed anyone except Muriel. I don’t think their squad is strong enough to compete on both fronts. Although the have zero expectations for the Champions League anyway.
    The best news though was the new contract for Gasperini
  • Thought I’d start a new thread seeing as we have one for most other leagues.

I love the Italian league, more than the Premier League so this thread could easily turn into me just talking to myself.

Keep it up, I'll keep reading!

Where are you all watching Serie A?
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    cafc4life said:
    One of the best football books ever written. Have your read the Miracle of Castel Di Sangro? That’s possibly better. 
    I have heard of it but no , not read it yet! It’s on the ‘to read’ list 
  • Thought I’d start a new thread seeing as we have one for most other leagues.

Keep it up, I'll keep reading!

Where are you all watching Serie A?
    Like last year, Premier Sports have the UK rights this season.
    They show 5 games a week so for me it’s well worth the £10 a month but just like all football these days, it’s easy enough to find a stream too.
  • Premier sports had 6 live games this weekend and they more or less have the same each weekend. Really good value.

@stackitsteve don't worry about Atalanta, they will make it work. Papu Gomez will create and demand goals from literally anyone who has 2 feet, Muriel came off the bench and got 2 tonight. Laxalt from Milan is a good signing and dare I say Skrtl for CL experience... Like the Tardini at Parma, Atalanta is one of the best places I have watched football in Italy, I think they will struggle with the demands of CL this season, but I thought at Xmas last year they would sneak a CL place. Never underestimate them.

Top 6 in order this season...be brave and say after game week 1?
  • Roma’s defence is an absolute travesty.
  • So much can happen between now and the transfer window closing next week. I expect the next week to be hectic with transfers.

Don’t want to predict anything until the window shut.

i think it’s similar to the Premier League that there feels like a clear top 3, then what should be another 3 then a couple of teams who’s aim this season is to break into that top 6
  • Roma’s defence is an absolute travesty.
    How Mancini was on the bench was criminal. If it was Di Francesco last season who did that, fired.

This week will be unreal. Icardi taking the number 7 to try and pretend he wants to be there. He has said he only will go to Juve or stay at Inter, he will go where Wanda tells him.... Although De Laurentiis apparently has promised her a role in one of his films (eyeball emoji) but no chance of him ending up at Napoli surely.... 
  • I was at SPAL v Atalanta tonight and spent time with the team (Atalanta) yesterday. Target for season is Top 7 in classifica. The key signing I believe for them is Malinovskyi. Looked good tonight and I know Gasperini rates him.

I actually think Inter will to close this year to winning the league. Hope they don’t.
  • Also it was great so see Siniša Mihajlović on the touchline last night in Bologna's away game at Hellas Verona. He is currently fighting leukemia and I believe he has been doing a lot of video calls to his players daily as he can't lead training sessions due to his treatment.

He did brilliantly last season with Bologna and they have made some really decent signings this Summer. 
  • I was at SPAL v Atalanta tonight and spent time with the team (Atalanta) yesterday. Target for season is Top 7 in classifica. The key signing I believe for them is Malinovskyi. Looked good tonight and I know Gasperini rates him.

I actually think Inter will to close this year to winning the league. Hope they don’t.
    How’d you manage that mate ?