Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2019/20 Serie A

Comments

• Ronaldo wanting the 5th penalty and not ending up taking one, again. What a pr*ck
    So many “big name” stars do that. Never understood the sense in it.
    the extra glory of having the last penalty But at the expense of your team mates.
    surely as a team you want your best players first. Madness

mind you, he missed one at the weekend.
  • Ronaldo wanting the 5th penalty and not ending up taking one, again. What a pr*ck
    Loads of players do it. If it gets to the point where they need to score to win, surely it’s good to have your best penalty taker? Messi did it in the Copa America final. Mind you, he missed and they lost so doesn’t always work🤣
    Loads of players do it. If it gets to the point where they need to score to win, surely it’s good to have your best penalty taker? Messi did it in the Copa America final. Mind you, he missed and they lost so doesn’t always work🤣
    Na stupid in my opinion, best penalty takers should always be at the start.

What if like today it doesn't even get to that last penalty and costs you the cup.

No way should Danilo be taking a penalty before Ronaldo lol

What if like today it doesn't even get to that last penalty and costs you the cup.

In hindsight it’s easy to say, but if everything goes to plan and Ronaldo scores the winner people will praise the tactic. He did the same thing in the UCL final against Atletico and it worked.

IIRC Taylor took our 3rd pen in the play offs. That seems even weirder. No logic behind that at all. But we won so no complaints.

In hindsight it’s easy to say, but if everything goes to plan and Ronaldo scores the winner people will praise the tactic. He did the same thing in the UCL final against Atletico and it worked.

IIRC Taylor took our 3rd pen in the play offs. That seems even weirder. No logic behind that at all. But we won so no complaints.
    Makes more sense than going 5th as you're always going to take your penalty. If you go 5th you might not.

Glad Napoli won though. First trophy for 6 years and only the 9th major trophy in their history. Compare that to Juve who in a few weeks will probably win their 9th straight league title.
  • Obviously the whole of this season is unprecedented and it is all about how teams react to the situation but I really wouldn’t rule out Lazio winning the league.

I picked Napoli to beat Juventus to win the cup based purely on their style of football and how suited it is to being picked up at short notice with a minimal pre season. This is less of an advantage for Lazio and their style but I would suggest they will still be better suited than Juventus.

2 games now - teams have sat back and asked Juve to break them down and they just simply haven’t been able to. Juventus and Sarri style is all about that but it takes time to get back in the swing of it and I’d suggest without a real pre season they will struggle for the first few weeks.

Lazios first game is against Atalanta which will be a huge test. BUT if they look good in these first few games I think I’d take them to win the league. They can steal a march on Juventus and get their noses in front in the league. I think if they get ahead in the title race in the first few weeks they will be strong enough to hold on.

Then, if memory serves correctly, I think it’s 4 or 5 games from the end of the seasons that Juventus will host Lazio.
  • I think the argument is, best pressure penalty taker taking 5th. I can see other points of views here but its not very often the last kicker doesn't get one. I'd rather have Taylor on the 5th penalty then go in the order best to worst tbf, most teams should have strong enough people to still rely on others to get it to that far
  • I think the argument is, best pressure penalty taker taking 5th. I can see other points of views here but its not very often the last kicker doesn't get one. I'd rather have Taylor on the 5th penalty then go in the order best to worst tbf, most teams should have strong enough people to still rely on others to get it to that far
    I get the idea of having your 5th as best under most pressure Etc but they are all pressure penalties and regardless of if teams should be strong enough - If you miss the first two and the other team score then the 3rd penalty is the most pressure.
    The fact is only the first 3 penalties are guaranteed to be taken. So have your best 3 takers there.
  • I’ve always thought the 4th pen is the most important, I’m not sure what my science is behind it tho.
  • Obviously the whole of this season is unprecedented and it is all about how teams react to the situation but I really wouldn’t rule out Lazio winning the league.

I picked Napoli to beat Juventus to win the cup based purely on their style of football and how suited it is to being picked up at short notice with a minimal pre season. This is less of an advantage for Lazio and their style but I would suggest they will still be better suited than Juventus.

2 games now - teams have sat back and asked Juve to break them down and they just simply haven’t been able to. Juventus and Sarri style is all about that but it takes time to get back in the swing of it and I’d suggest without a real pre season they will struggle for the first few weeks.

Lazios first game is against Atalanta which will be a huge test. BUT if they look good in these first few games I think I’d take them to win the league. They can steal a march on Juventus and get their noses in front in the league. I think if they get ahead in the title race in the first few weeks they will be strong enough to hold on.

Then, if memory serves correctly, I think it’s 4 or 5 games from the end of the seasons that Juventus will host Lazio.
    I still think Juve will nick it. They have lower half teams to play in the next 3-4 games before they then face Milan, Atalanta and Lazio in a 2 week period.

Lazio have away games at Atalanta, Juve, Verona (who are good at home) and Napoli. Their best hope is that if the Bundesliga is anything to go by, then home advantage in empty stadiums doesn't appear to count for much.
  • Sponsored links:

I get the idea of having your 5th as best under most pressure Etc but they are all pressure penalties and regardless of if teams should be strong enough - If you miss the first two and the other team score then the 3rd penalty is the most pressure.
    The fact is only the first 3 penalties are guaranteed to be taken. So have your best 3 takers there.
    Yeah i get that, i can see arguments for both. Its just another minor tactic which some managers must view different, Ronaldo pretty much has always taken the last penalty from memory for clubs/country. I could be wrong here just a wild guess

just a different tactic really, i can see sense putting best to worse or mixing up a bit. I would probably put best penalty taker first, another guess is i am pretty sure out of everyone Ronaldo is the most experienced so maybe thats why he was on the 5th because the pressure involved. who knows, it didn't work this time but interesting debate :)
  • As they have been for a couple of years now, Atalanta are just a pleasure to watch.
    VAR and the crossbar have kept it at just 3-0 in the first half.

You could be right. Lazio 2 up at Atalanta inside 15 minutes.
  • 2-1 now.

Both teams playing so well. After that first 15 minutes Atalanta have dominated. 

This is streets above the Premier League games I’ve seen so far, but maybe I’m biased.
  • 2-1 now.

Both teams playing so well. After that first 15 minutes Atalanta have dominated. 

This is streets above the Premier League games I’ve seen so far, but maybe I’m biased.
    Italian football has completely flipped over the last 20 years. The amount of goals, and late goals at that, is mad.
  • Atalanta 3-2 up now. 
  • I say it every week but I just love love love watching Atalanta. 3-2 up from 2 down. And they’ve been incredible throughout 
  • There have been 114 goals in Atalanta's 27 league games and 32 in their 8 champions league games.
  • Maybe the heat has got to me but 22/1 for Atalanta to win 3 knockout games is too big.

Atalanta - 2019/2020 Champions League winners
    You heard it here first.
  • Maybe the heat has got to me but 22/1 for Atalanta to win 3 knockout games is too big.

Atalanta - 2019/2020 Champions League winners
    You heard it here first.
    The new format of 1 off ko games rather than home and away legs suits them. I don’t think any team will be keen to play them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Roma late winner, lovely.
  • Atalanta have now won 4/4 since the restart, including games vs Lazio and Napoli.
    They’ve scored 82 goals in the league this season, in just 29 matches. 82!
    They have 3 players in the top 10 goal scorers. No other team has more than one.
  • Atalanta have now won 4/4 since the restart, including games vs Lazio and Napoli.
    They have 3 players in the top 10 goal scorers. No other team has more than one.
    Yet they are still 12 points of top, thats crazy! Thought them and Roma losing yesterday were a bit of a shock, i didn't think Udinese are any good anymore. 
    Yet they are still 12 points of top, thats crazy! Thought them and Roma losing yesterday were a bit of a shock, i didn't think Udinese are any good anymore. 
    They’re not great at the back and almost treat every game like - if you score 3, we will score 4.
    Roma are playing very poorly at the minute. Even though there are still 9 games to go it’s hard to imagine we haven’t already got the CL places sorted out. Can’t see any other team making top 4 now.
  • AC Milan are back. 5 games since the restart, 4 wins and a draw, including wins over Roma, Lazio and last night Juventus.

2-0 down after an hour, they scored 4 times in 15 minutes.

Zlatan (obviously exaggerating) said after: "If I was here from the beginning of the season, we would have won the Scudetto!"
  • AC Milan are back. 5 games since the restart, 4 wins and a draw, including wins over Roma, Lazio and last night Juventus.

2-0 down after an hour, they scored 4 times in 15 minutes.

Zlatan (obviously exaggerating) said after: "If I was here from the beginning of the season, we would have won the Scudetto!"
    They’ve looked fantastic since the restart, which makes it look crazy that they’ve announced a new manager for next season.
    Former Leipzig boss Ralf Rangnick will take over at the end of the season.

Pioli has only been there since October, admittedly it was only supposed to be a short term appointment, but taking over mid season he never actually had a chance to put his own ideas to the team, he frequently mentioned how much he would have loved a preseason with this group of players.
    Then lockdown comes and on the restart is the first chance of a mini preseason where he can get his ideas across and work on things without a game coming up in a few days. First time he really gets to put his own ideas across and look at their results. 4 wins and a draw, including 3 wins against teams in the top 6.

I don’t doubt this deal with Rangnick has been planned for some time, and he looks set to become sporting director too (a position he also held at RB) but it does seem harsh on Pioli.
  • In the build up to the opening Atalanta goal yesterday, Juventus went over 8 minutes without touching the ball in their attacking half!
  • Another 6 goals for Atalanta last night, now have 93 goals and still 5 games to play. On track to become the highest scoring Italian side since the 1940s