Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2019/20 Serie A

Comments

• Options
    @cafc4life I actually work with the club on helping them grow the 'brand' out of Italy. It's a good club sort of a Charlton family, community spirit but with fans from Millwall. The Curva Nord fans have a lot of power on how the club is run and decisions that are made.

They are still coming to terms with being in the Champions league if honest. There is zero ambition with the CL although I think they will do very well. Playing at the San Siro is however a negative.

Gasperini is seen as God like and his attitude to coaching is all about discipline. When I have lunch in Zingonia (training ground) from time to time there is utter silence when players eating on one table and staff on another. Staff always served first. The players are seen and treated as workers, it's a job rather than a jolly. Bowyer I suppose like this also? The don't sign players with attitude, its no risk moneyball type thinking. 

One thing that has got to be unique about the club is they all wear the same underwear as the Percassi owns a leading underwear store. He also owns most of Bergamo and is owner of the stadium. Which will reopen in all it's splendour in October. 

Finally for a European away trip Atalanta is a must. Logistical dream. Just don't wear colours that aren't blue or black.

Quality . Bet it’s an enjoyable job at times!
  • Options
    @cafc4life I actually work with the club on helping them grow the 'brand' out of Italy. It's a good club sort of a Charlton family, community spirit but with fans from Millwall. The Curva Nord fans have a lot of power on how the club is run and decisions that are made.

They are still coming to terms with being in the Champions league if honest. There is zero ambition with the CL although I think they will do very well. Playing at the San Siro is however a negative.

Gasperini is seen as God like and his attitude to coaching is all about discipline. When I have lunch in Zingonia (training ground) from time to time there is utter silence when players eating on one table and staff on another. Staff always served first. The players are seen and treated as workers, it's a job rather than a jolly. Bowyer I suppose like this also? The don't sign players with attitude, its no risk moneyball type thinking. 

One thing that has got to be unique about the club is they all wear the same underwear as the Percassi owns a leading underwear store. He also owns most of Bergamo and is owner of the stadium. Which will reopen in all it's splendour in October. 

Finally for a European away trip Atalanta is a must. Logistical dream. Just don't wear colours that aren't blue or black.

That sounds unreal!

The Derby against Brescia will be good to attend. 

Do you get on with any of the players? Papu Gomez is one of my favourite players in Serie A, he seems a right laugh. 
  • Options

Love this. You've got a great job sir!
  • Options
    @nelsonsleftfoot that sounds like a dream job to be honest.

That's great to hear about the players and their characters. I know he is 31 but I thought Illicic might have been signed by one of the Milan clubs, just so Atalanta didn't have him anymore if anything. Him Papu and Zapata last season were superb.

I had heard about that shirt to every new born and that is amazing, no such thing as a fake Atalanta fan, such pride of Bergamo.

I have always admired their determination to get the best out of younger players and then wisely invest the money. Was the money for the stadium used from player sales? Cristante, Mancini, Kessie etc

I listened to a podcast and Richard Hughes was speaking about his experience of being at Atalanta's youth academy and how a lot of the old faces are still there when he visits. I think he is a scout for Bournemouth now, surely he would be looking to poach some talent from Atalanta you'd think. 

I really hope nothing bad kicks off at the game, but you know out of most the teams this season, Balotelli will strive to be the hero against Atalanta... He is probably digging out a 'why always me' vest already....

I read about an old ww2 tank being used at a fayre in Bergamo years ago to run over a scrap car which had 'Brescia' spray painted on it. Hopefully it won't make a recall in December. 
  • Options
    @Fiiiiiish Paps is great. Limited English. His kid is same age as mine and plays for the kids Atalanta u9 (or u10). Paps is a good player. Nearly world class, goes missing in the big games though. Yesterday he switched wide left when Murial came on. Zapata is popular in the team, zero English and I have to translate (badly) for him when needed. Illicic is world class, unstoppable at times, odd bloke, bit of a loaner, wheres a bobble hot most of the time. Skertl has settled well, already popular and bit of a joker. He is a massive liverpool fan. My favourites are Martin de Roon and Have Hateboer. The good English helps as does professionalism. Martin for me is the real leader in the team. He bollocks Gomez on the pitch often. Hateboer has a try sense of humour. When I asked him why he signed for Atalanta he told me it's because it was his only offer. He was joking.

The Brescia derby game is a worry. I have mentioned this before. It's going to be a problem and you will hear about it in the English press I am sure. Sadly the racism here is bad. It's disgraceful really. The Italians are very behind on many things and here in the north the sentiment to non-whites is not positive. Ballotelli signing for Brescia will be a flash point for the derby. 

I think it's common knowledge that Atalanta send every baby born in Bergamo Atalanta kit with a message from Percassi? If you didn't know now you do!

It's strange working with them and now following them. I am odd enough to never to refer to Atalanta as 'we'. My team is Charlton. In my world Charlton is WE. For that reason I fly back often and will be at Reading on Saturday with my son.

Fascinating stuff Nelson, cheers
  • Options
    That Juve midfield is something. Will Ramsey be starting most games? I doubt it unless Can goes.
    Inter also look like signing Sanchez from Man U even tho he has looked crap for 12 months i think Inter could be top 3
  • Options
    I think most people would be very surprised if Inter, Napoli and Juventus didn’t make up the top 3

Juventus need to offload 2 or 3 midfielders really. They can only name 22 (because of lack of home grown players) in the Champions League squad anyway.

The Sanchez deal has been on the cards all summer, was just a case of agreeing what %age of wages were paid by Inter. Conte made Sanchez and Lukaku his two main targets, looks like he’s got them both.
  • Options
    I think most people would be very surprised if Inter, Napoli and Juventus didn’t make up the top 3

Juventus need to offload 2 or 3 midfielders really. They can only name 22 (because of lack of home grown players) in the Champions League squad anyway.

The Sanchez deal has been on the cards all summer, was just a case of agreeing what %age of wages were paid by Inter. Conte made Sanchez and Lukaku his two main targets, looks like he’s got them both.
    So who do you think will leave Juve? Midfield i mean. Can, Khedira or someone else?
  • Options

So who do you think will leave Juve? Midfield i mean. Can, Khedira or someone else?
    I think they will loan a couple of the younger players out and look to sell 1. Khedira has impressed Sarri pre season and started the first game but if an offer comes who knows. Sounds like one of Khedira, Can or Matuidi will be moved on.

As I’ve mentioned in earlier posts I think this next few days up to the deadline is going to be crazy for transfers moves in Serie A. So many clubs waiting for other players to leave before they buy etc. They’re all leaving it last minute,
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's what made Juve's midfield which started at the weekend as very peculiar because Matuidi and Khedira were deemed as the players looked set to be moved on and the Allegri combination which Sarri was supposed to change.

As Sarri is recovering from pneumonia I suppose that can be the only excuse for no Rabiot and De Ligt....

Not sure what to make of Sanchez at Serie A, he is certainly not the player who left Udinese but hopefully is hungrier than Perisic who went to Bayern on loan. 

• Options
    Instead of paying out for whatever Sanchez will cost, Inter could do worse than recall Gabriel Barbosa from his loan in Brazil. Apparently they're about to sell him for 18m but with these stats:

Santos: 27 goals in 53 games.
    Flamengo: 26 goals in 37 games.

I'd recall him and give him another chance. He's still only 22.
  • Options
    Instead of paying out for whatever Sanchez will cost, Inter could do worse than recall Gabriel Barbosa from his loan in Brazil. Apparently they're about to sell him for 18m but with these stats:

Santos: 27 goals in 53 games.
    Flamengo: 26 goals in 37 games.

I'd recall him and give him another chance. He's still only 22.
    Thats a good shout looking at those stats
  • Options
    Chiellini out with a torn ACL. That’s a big blow to Juventus and a tough injury to take at 35 years old.
    They have Demiral and de Ligt as 2 fantastic replacements but it’s never good to lose your captain, especially one who (alongside Ronaldo) is the first name on the team sheet. 
  • Options
    tonight’s game saw Bologna beat SPAL 1-0
    At 0-0, Bologna scored in the 89th minute which was ruled out correctly by VAR for offside. Goalscorer Santander was booked for taking his shirt off, celebrating a goal that didn’t count.
    they scored again to win the game in the 93rd minute.

i worry for SPAL this year, they had an impressive end to the season last year (they were 16th in March and went on a run of 6 wins in 8 games to guarantee safety with 3 games to go) but Lazzari always seemed a big player for them, he will be missed this year. They won’t want to be in a position like last year and need a run at the end of the season to avoid the drop
  • Options
    Some game this.
    Juventus 3-0 up, Napoli score 3 in 15 minutes.
    3-3 with 10 to go
  • Options
    Last minute Koulibaly own goal, ouch
    4-3 Juventus
  • Options
    Last minute Koulibaly own goal, ouch
    4-3 Juventus
    Just seen the og. What a finish :D
  • Options
    Chiellini out with a torn ACL. That’s a big blow to Juventus and a tough injury to take at 35 years old.
    They have Demiral and de Ligt as 2 fantastic replacements but it’s never good to lose your captain, especially one who (alongside Ronaldo) is the first name on the team sheet. 
    Could well be career ending at his age.

But Juve will be just fine, having 80m worth of young international centre backs to choose from as a replacement isn't too bad.
  • Options
    Sat in a bar in Rome watching the derby, woodwork has been hit 6 times in opening 30 mins. Roma leading 1-0.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Could well be career ending at his age.

But Juve will be just fine, having 80m worth of young international centre backs to choose from as a replacement isn't too bad.
    Rumour is that Juve have a deal in place to bring in Boateng from Bayern if Sarri wants him. 

I don't think they need him though as Sarri normally plays with a back four and still has the very promising Demiral and even Rugani still at the club.... Should be a good last day of the transfer window. 
  • Options
    Icardi to PSG on loan sounds like it’s done. 
  • Options
    Boateng sounds like he’s staying at Munich now

Mkhitaryan to Roma on loan, strange that one. They have a fair few options in that position already 
  • Options
    Icardi to PSG on loan sounds like it’s done. 
    Could that mean Neymar leaving PSG?
  • Options
    @nelsonsleftfoot Sounds like Skrtel has terminated his contract with Atalanta? Fall out with Gasperini? 
  • Options
    Lukaku has spoken out after receiving racist abuse at the weekend from Cagliari fans. No doubt the Italian FA will brush it under the carpet as usual.

"The abuse of Lukaku was the latest incident in which a black player has been racially abused on the pitch by Cagliari fans, prompting calls for action to be taken.

Last season Everton's Moise Kean was the target of racist abuse when playing against Cagliari for Juventus. Serie A decided not to sanction Cagliari for their fans' racism, despite admitting their actions were "reprehensible".

The previous year Cagliari fans were called out after abusing another Juventus player, Blaise Matuidi but Italian football chiefs did not take any action.

In 2017, Pescara midfielder Sulley Muntari walked off the pitch after being racially abused by Cagliari fans, but amazingly he was subsequently banned for his protest."

• Options
    @Fiiiiiish nothing really behind this story other than what has been said. He got damaged in training last week, his contract was linked to playing so that was that. No fall out with anyone. Just unfortunate. I must be one of the few that ever saw him in Atalanta kit. 
  • Options
    @Fiiiiiish nothing really behind this story other than what has been said. He got damaged in training last week, his contract was linked to playing so that was that. No fall out with anyone. Just unfortunate. I must be one of the few that ever saw him in Atalanta kit. 
    Thought he would be good experience for their CL games, sounds unfortunate. 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Fiiiiiish said:
    Thought he would be good experience for their CL games, sounds unfortunate. 
    They’ve signed Kjaer (on loan from Sevilla) as a replacement. Not a bad replacement either.
  • Options
    Incase anyone saw the Rome Derby at the weekend and were wondering why Lazio were very quiet in the first 45 minutes not supporting the team, it was due to no players or the club paying tribute to ultra leader Fabrizio Piscitelli (known as Diabolik) who was shot dead on a park bench in Rome by a jogger, leading to speculation of a mafia hit. 

Good write up in the Guardian earlier on in the Summer of Piscitelli's impact as a right wing influencer and his murder. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/10/death-of-diabolik-fabrizio-piscitelli-lazio-football-ultra