Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Women’s World Cup

Comments

• They will not keep it under ten 
  • 7-0 in 55th minute 
  • USA brought on LLoyd  who has 110 goals to her name for the national side.
  • I can’t help wondering why most countries according to the BBC have ‘women’ whereas Italy have ‘ladies’. Germany and Australia don’t specify whether they field ladies or women. Interesting. 
  • USA 8-0 in 73 mins.
  • 9-0 in 79 mins.
  • 10-0 in 80 mins
  • 11-0 in 84 mins
  • 12-0 in 86 mins Morgan has 5 goals
  • edited June 2019
    Alex Morgan is very impressive, though Thailand are obviously an incredibly weak side.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just a bit mean.
  • Lloyd makes it 13-0 in 91 mins
  • FT 13-0 record score in WC.
    Only 3-0 HT 
  • I don't get the commentators going mad over that performance, that was as big a mismatch as I have ever seen, was like Man City playing my sons school team. Be able to judge them better against Sweden.
  • edited June 2019
    Just a bit mean.
    It's unfortunate that the weakest team has  been drawn in the same group as the favourites. Morgan already had the highest profile of the USA team. 
  • In the WC2014  JodieTaylor of England won the golden boot with 5 goals.
    Morgan has scored 5 in her 1st match !
  • I wanna see the teams Thailand beat to get there
  • Nug said:
    I don't get the commentators going mad over that performance, that was as big a mismatch as I have ever seen, was like Man City playing my sons school team. Be able to judge them better against Sweden.
    I was going to call Thailand the San Marino of women's football but San Marino have learn to park two buses and keep the score down to 5 or 6.
    Argentina who get no support from the Argentina FA managed to play very defensive but managed to get their first ever WC point against a toothless Japanese attack.

I would hope England have the nous to score 3 or 4 against Argentina.
  • Leuth said:
    Thailand beat Jordan 6-1 in qualification. Jordan beat Tajikistan 10-2. Tajikistan beat Iraq 1-0. I believe that's the team you're after
    Take it on tonight's showing that was Katie Price they beat
  • Sponsored links:

• Just read that Alex Morgan is married to a guy who plays for LA Galaxy...........but she earns more than him!
  • 5 goals AND 3 assists in one match. Has that ever happened in England at any level?
  • The US women just scored more goals in this one match than the whole US Men's Team has scored in every world cup match since 2002 added together.
  • One thing that was noticeable before last nights game was that the weaker teams were struggling to put more than two forward passes together when pressed by defenders. It looked like a gung ho tactic would be a good idea against them as you would get the ball back straight away anyway.

The USA team played at a very high tempo. The sort of tempo where you will make some errors, but what does that matter when you just get the ball back? Credit to them there was a lot of ability in that side, but we need to see how they play against Sweden in their final group game to get a sense of where they are.

I also caught the Sweden v Chile game where Sweden didn't play at a high tempo although never looked like conceding. They left it late though thanks to Chile having the best keeper in the competition and, admittedly on one performance, the best female keeper I have seen.
  • They are better with ping pong balls apparently
  • The US women just scored more goals in this one match than the whole US Men's Team has scored in every world cup match since 2002 added together.
    It's because the standard is vastly different.

And per previous point yes I'm sure there have been hundreds of games in men's football at any level where someone had scored 5 or more with 3 or more assists. 

I think it's fantastic that the women's game has come on leaps and bounds and hope it continues to develop and become more of a level playing field at international level as the men's game has since the 80s (bar Scotland who have gone backwards ) when there would be some comedy match ups.

I find the  "no men's team has achieved this etc" narrative very patronising to the women footballers and a bit insecure.

The game is developing remarkably and whilst will always be different in some aspects to men's it will continue to improve to an excellent standard across the field in the next decade with increased exposure and financial rewards.

But the constant apples and oranges comparison with men's football just undermines it's rightful credibility.

Last night's game is like man city playing a an amatuer Saturday men's  team in reality given the vast difference in resources, coaching and football experience between the US women's team and the Thais I'd imagine so whilst still a great achievement and the US are a top top side it shouldn't be compared to the US men's football achievements as they have far superior and more well established opponents. Also arguably the women's game is bigger than the men's isn't it In America?
    It's because the standard is vastly different.

And per previous point yes I'm sure there have been hundreds of games in men's football at any level where someone had scored 5 or more with 3 or more assists. 

I think it's fantastic that the women's game has come on leaps and bounds and hope it continues to develop and become more of a level playing field at international level as the men's game has since the 80s (bar Scotland who have gone backwards ) when there would be some comedy match ups.

I find the  "no men's team has achieved this etc" narrative very patronising to the women footballers and a bit insecure.

The game is developing remarkably and whilst will always be different in some aspects to men's it will continue to improve to an excellent standard across the field in the next decade with increased exposure and financial rewards.

But the constant apples and oranges comparison with men's football just undermines it's rightful credibility.

Last night's game is like man city playing a an amatuer Saturday men's  team in reality given the vast difference in resources, coaching and football experience between the US women's team and the Thais I'd imagine so whilst still a great achievement and the US are a top top side it shouldn't be compared to the US men's football achievements as they have far superior and more well established opponents. Also arguably the women's game is bigger than the men's isn't it In America?
    Agree. Comparing is pointless and undermining. I think this is the World Cup for women so lets forget about the men at least while its on and enjoy it. I suspect after this World Cup it will get a lot lot bigger. 
  • A result like this suggests that FIFA has expanded the tournament too quickly, it's not beneficial to minnows being there if they end up being humiliated