Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Women’s World Cup

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2019
    A result like this suggests that FIFA has expanded the tournament too quickly, it's not beneficial to minnows being there if they end up being humiliated
    This could well be how the 2026 World Cup will turn out when it grows to 48-teams

How often do Asian or African countries even get out of the Group Stages in the current format of the mens game

2018 may have been the first year in a long time that we didnt have at least one African team in the 2nd Round but thats one team (Algeria in 2014 | Ghana in 2010 etc.) out of five from Africa, yet their numbers will be increased to nine when the World Cup is expanded despite their better teams already struggling (i.e. if their best already cant do much what hope is there for the rest?)

Ultimately the biggest example will be from Oceania; I've long been an advocate that the region should have an automatic spot under the current setup) and whilst you'd imagine that New Zealand will be the side that regularly take that spot you cant ignore what the Pacific Nations can do on a one off basis in terms of Qualifying games; i.e. take Tahiti in their OFC Nations Cup, beat New Zealand in the Final, went to the Confederations Cup and were unfortunately whipping boys for the rest of the teams in their Group, conceding 24-goals in just three games
  • Options
    What an absolute farce. 
    At the risk of sounding sexist, where the Thai girls playing at the wrong time of the month?

Is it any more of a farce than San Marino etc in men's football ?

When Australia beat American Samoa 31-0 in the men's WC was it the wrong time of the month for the Samoan team ?

Periods and female athletes is just another problem to overcome for the majority gender in this world.
  • Options
    5 goals AND 3 assists in one match. Has that ever happened in England at any level?
    At any level? Definitely. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    5 goals AND 3 assists in one match. Has that ever happened in England at any level?
    At any level? Definitely. 
    I assume he meant at a professional level, not over the park on a Sunday morning with fat Bazza still recovering from his 3am doner kebab
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    What an absolute farce. 
    At the risk of sounding sexist, where the Thai girls playing at the wrong time of the month?

When Australia beat American Samoa 31-0 in the men's WC was it the wrong time of the month for the Samoan team ?

Periods and female athletes is just another problem to overcome for the majority gender in this world.
    That was Qualification though... Not the Finals, the latter is supposed to be for the best Nations

Instead FIFA are turning their Tournaments into Sports Day at School where everyone gets an entry regardless of how well they do

As @killerandflash says FIFA have expanded too quickly when they should be doing it when teams start to catch up
  • Options
    When England men Beat San Marino 9-1 we scored an own goal after 6 seconds by Stuart Pearce and from memory we needed to win 12-0 to have a chance of qualifying !

In the she believe cup England drew 1-1 with the USA but the worry is this will give so much confidence to the powerhouse side in women's football despite the hapless opposition.
  • Options
    Once again, it appears the fans of the womens game can't help themselves in comparing to the mens 
  • Options
    What an absolute farce. 

No, but there were extenuating circumstances:

The American Samoa team were troubled by passport issues, with only one member of their original 20-man senior team, goalkeeper Nicky Salapu, eligible to play. American Samoa were also unable to call their under-20 players because most of them were involved in high school exams at the time. They were forced to draft in their youth players, including three 15-year-old players, to put together a makeshift team with an average age of 18.[5] According to team manager and Football Federation American Samoa vice-president Tony Langkilde, some of the Samoan players had never played a full 90-minute game before the match with Australia
  • Options
    What an absolute farce. 

That was Qualification though... Not the Finals, the latter is supposed to be for the best Nations

Instead FIFA are turning their Tournaments into Sports Day at School where everyone gets an entry regardless of how well they do

As @killerandflash says FIFA have expanded too quickly when they should be doing it when teams start to catch up
    On the other hand Argentina who get no funding from the FA in their Country managed to get a 0-0 draw against the Japanese who are past winners and finalists from 4 years ago.
    I think it was worth expanding and despite the freak score it does give the women's WC the exposure it badly needs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Once again, it appears the fans of the womens game can't help themselves in comparing to the mens 
    Its a joke. You can have a tournament like Wimbledon. Men play and women play. You can watch the men only if you like or the women only if you like. If you love tennis you might watch both. To me the World Cup is the same now. Stop comparisons as physicaly it does not work.
    My neice loves football, since she was about 6 and will be having a trial with Arsenal in Aug. She is technicaly better than me and younger than me i am still faster and stronger. It dont mean shit
  • Options
    The result is fine. Score as many as you like and so on, but... what the hell are you doing celebrating like this?

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    The result is fine. Score as many as you like and so on, but... what the hell are you doing celebrating like this?

She scored in a World Cup to be fair. If i scored for England against Thailand in World Cup i am sure i would celebrate. That tweet is OTT its not classless at all just a genuinely elated person
  • Options
    Oh leave off, she's just scored a goal in the World Cup, let her have her moment. 
  • Options
    She won the World Cup four years ago, and scored in that tournament, too. She's the US captain, and prior to last night had scored 44 international goals.

Celebrating like it's a 94th minute winner in the final is just ludicrous.
  • Options
    Can't say i'll lose much sleep over it but i'm in the 'she was a bit OTT' camp. She's just made it 9-0 ffs, not scored a late winner.

Also she's 33 and playing in her third world cup and has scored at every one of them, so it's not as if she's a youngster scoring her first world cup goal.

For the tweet to call her classless and a disgrace is a bit much though, but no need to celebrate like that at 9-0.
  • Options
    Simple solution, Thailand shouldn't be so shit.
  • Options
    Yeah the tweet's language is also OTT. I was mainly looking for the footage of the celebration, which is basically some form of surrealist art.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:

What a f***ing stupid celebration - classless. I'd say the same if a bloke did it.

• Options
    As I've said I'm not a fan of women's football ,but I've caught bits of this so far.  A 13-0 scoreline in a world cup match is ridiculous.  Some of the goalkeeping is embarrassing, it's like playing fifa with the goalkeepers glitched.  People calling for the same pay as the men are just laughable . The standard is way below national league level!
  • Options
    As I've said I'm not a fan of women's football ,but I've caught bits of this so far.  A 13-0 scoreline in a world cup match is ridiculous.  Some of the goalkeeping is embarrassing, it's like playing fifa with the goalkeepers glitched.  People calling for the same pay as the men are just laughable . The standard is way below national league level!
    Hard to know what the standard is but Thailand are certainly poor. 

• Options

To be fair, some recent results would suggest otherwise. Indications are that the best international womens team is below the standard of U15 academy teams.

That will, hopefully, change as the game evolves.

• Options

To be fair, some recent results would suggest otherwise. Indications are that the best international womens team is below the standard of U15 academy teams.

It’s not practical but reducing the size of the pitches and the height of the goals would rapidly improve the quality of the games with quicker transitions of play.
  • Options

It’s not practical but reducing the size of the pitches and the height of the goals would rapidly improve the quality of the games with quicker transitions of play.
    A bit OTT as a suggestion - there is a decent standard at the top level. Physical strength is the main difference and there's plenty of skill in the women's game.

As coaching improves and the game grows in popularity standards will rise across the board - the same happened in the men's game.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    It isn't classless to celebrate how you wish to when you score in a World Cup - the problem was Thailand were classless in the literal sense of the word. USA were quicker and stronger and the Thailand players were not even bothering to pick them up in the second half - probably because they were too tired to do so. Add to that a poor keeper and it probably could have been worse!

To be fair, US played at a tempo not many teams can and if they had not it probably would have followed a similar pattern to other games in the tournament. If you watched the Sweden v Chile game you would see there is no reason to make the goals smaller - Chile had a very good keeper who technically was excellent to. Shame the rest of her team were not so good. 

The game is improving and there are a number of teams that can challenge each other. England are in that mix. 
  • Options
    To be clear, I've no problem with women's football in general. My issue is people who  pretend it's better than it is. They should be paid according to the standard. What's the average wage in the kent league?
  • Options
    When England men Beat San Marino 9-1 we scored an own goal after 6 seconds by Stuart Pearce and from memory we needed to win 12-0 to have a chance of qualifying !

In the she believe cup England drew 1-1 with the USA but the worry is this will give so much confidence to the powerhouse side in women's football despite the hapless opposition.
    Wasn’t it a complete cock-up rather than an own goal?
  • Options
    To be clear, I've no problem with women's football in general. My issue is people who  pretend it's better than it is. They should be paid according to the standard. What's the average wage in the kent league?
    It is different. Women's tennis stands up on its own and is entertaining even though any decent man on the circuit will beat the best woman player. That is irrelevant, and women's football can be entertaining in its own right. I am looking forward to this world cup when the big games come.