Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Women’s World Cup

Comments

• Options
    Uboat said:
    Open game. Can't believe France haven't scored. 
    They have now !
  • Options
    1-1 now. WTF was that own goal?
  • Options
    Twice - although once at the wrong end
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Renard watched the League 1 playoff final and has emulated Cafc with a comedy own goal.
  • Options
    What an absolute farce. 
    At the risk of sounding sexist, where the Thai girls playing at the wrong time of the month?

Should have put the ladyboys out
  • Options
    That penalty was very harsh. 
  • Options
    Harsh penalty that. 
    French bird went in with two feet like she was trying to shovel some shit!
    yet the Norway gal gets done for the follow through. 
    Still, wouldn’t argue with that ref!!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2019
     So, can someone who knows the rules tell us if that was a penalty or not? She’s played the ball and caught the French woman on follow-through. 
  • Options
    It wasn't a follow through though - she kicked the top of the ball which forced the foot up and like you said, surely you have to look at the french player jumping in. It is very poor refereeing given she had a chance to see it on the tv!
  • Options
    Awful decision!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am really enjoying the football in this world cup. Yes it is different to the Mens game but there is a comparison to athletics, where the womens events are considered equal as a spectator sport but a bit less powerful.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I'm not sexist - male refs, female refs - that is why I criticise them. So many of them just don't know what they are doing. Had to put up with some real jokers this season managing my team. But it is blasphemy to call it as it is!
  • Options
    A strange looking attempted tackle from the French girl but having watched it 4 times the Norwegian girl did foul her on her Follow through.
  • Options
    I'm not sexist - male refs, female refs - that is why I criticise them. So many of them just don't know what they are doing. Had to put up with some real jokers this season managing my team. But it is blasphemy to call it as it is!
     No, it’s not, as long as you criticise them for the standard of their refereeing rather than their sex. 
  • Options
    I don't think we have been looking at potential winners tonight.
  • Options
    I thought it was a penalty. Free kick would have been given anywhere else on the pitch without any debate. She misjudged her kick, caught the top of the ball which resulted in her follow through bringing down the French player.
  • Options
    I don't think we have been looking at potential winners tonight.
    The winners will come from France, USA, Netherlands or England. With France and USA as the teams to beat. Now I will check  to see what the bookies think.
  • Options
    USA. 16/5
    FRANCE. 10/3
    ENGLAND. 7/1
    GERMANY. 7/1
    NETHERLANDS. 16/1

• Options
    The Germans look boring but sound defensively. France have massive defensive doubts over them IMO and I don't think their keeper is strong enough. USA can't be judged on the Thailand game, but they do have good players in every position which I think makes them deserved favourites. I think England have about 8 or 9 decent players which gives them a chance.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    And VAR was brought in to remove controversy...

Can't help wondering, that if the game had been held in Norway would the referee have given the defender the benefit of the doubt?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yep, more VAR rubbish. Norwegian girl got the ball and caught the French player on follow through. Never a foul let alone a pen.
  • Options
    A strange looking attempted tackle from the French girl but having watched it 4 times the Norwegian girl did foul her on her Follow through.
    It is hard to critise the ref for giving it. I think the French girl coming in, whether it be two footed or block, is a red herring. That wasn't dangerous. 
    My issue is that without VAR I can't can't see many, if any, refs awarding a penalty. Having looked at VAR, particularly in slow motion, it probably was a penalty as she caught the French player above the knee. Confusion and disputes will continue to run with VAR. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I think the law would be around kicking the opponent carelessly (you don't have to intend to do it). I don't think you could call one challenge careless and the other not - The Norwegian kicked the top of the ball which pushed her foot up and the French player dived in two footed. I agree, not dangerous, but the dive in was the reason she got caught. Surely if you are going to do the Norwegian for being careless, you can't ignore the carelessness of the French player. That is why it wasn't a foul and the ref was wrong. 

To me the French player was acting more carelessly than the Norwegian. She was trying to clear the ball and had an unlucky contact.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    USA. 16/5
    FRANCE. 10/3
    ENGLAND. 7/1
    GERMANY. 7/1
    NETHERLANDS. 16/1

Never write off the Germans !
    They don't have the flair of recent years but because they are Course and distance winners the bookies are wary of them.
    The Dutch were superb when they won the Euros and as long as Vivianne Miedema the prolific Arsenal striker is fit and fresh then her 29 goals from 25 games plus 10 assists this season in League and cup could make the Netherlands a contender.

The top teams always play their best and match winning football from the quarters onwards, you can only lose the WC in the group's games not win the competition.

USA were already favourites before the brutal demolition of Thailand. 

• Options
     So, can someone who knows the rules tell us if that was a penalty or not? She’s played the ball and caught the French woman on follow-through. 
    Not a foul in a million years.  The french woman's attempt at a two footed tackle was bad.  The Norwegian's fly hack at the ball lacked finesse but the fact her follow through took her into the French is no cause for interest at all, let alone a foul.  There are only two reasons a decision that ludicrously wrong is handed out (even before we consider the VAR pantomime): 1) the ref has never seen the game before and is utterly incompetent or 2) the ref is under direct instruction to give certain decisions and the whole thing is as bent as a nine bob note.

Item 2 for your consideration:  the blatant handball by the Nigerian against S Korea.  Yes the ball was going in the goal anyway, yes the contact was slight.  But she reached out with her hand to touch the ball and touched it.  In what insane twisted universe is that not handball?  Even in FIFA's ludicrous "changing the shape of your body by raising your arm...blah blah balderdash" that's handball.  It's bent, plain as the etc...

With that established; even if Neville gets England's defence sorted into some sort of coherent competency, they're all wasting their time trying to win this tournament.  They'll have to score a goal every five minutes at least, from long range, without tackling anybody, to keep the score ahead of FIFA's zealous hatred of all things English and whichever nation is already anointed as world champions.  That a script is already written for this tournament is clear for all to see, the fine detail of the final act is yet to be revealed but sure as eggs is eggs and Infantino is a most worthy successor to blatter, nobody English is on the cast list.
    Defying those odds would make Phil Neville, Bev Priestman and their entire squad worthy of Knighthoods, Damehoods probably even ennoblement.  Poor sods are fighting with one hand tied behind their backs, laces tied together, blindfolds on, in a game where the actual rules are known to but few indeedand ever likely to be changed to suit the malign overlords.
  • Options
    Not a foul in a million years.  The french woman's attempt at a two footed tackle was bad.  The Norwegian's fly hack at the ball lacked finesse but the fact her follow through took her into the French is no cause for interest at all, let alone a foul.  There are only two reasons a decision that ludicrously wrong is handed out (even before we consider the VAR pantomime): 1) the ref has never seen the game before and is utterly incompetent or 2) the ref is under direct instruction to give certain decisions and the whole thing is as bent as a nine bob note.

Item 2 for your consideration:  the blatant handball by the Nigerian against S Korea.  Yes the ball was going in the goal anyway, yes the contact was slight.  But she reached out with her hand to touch the ball and touched it.  In what insane twisted universe is that not handball?  Even in FIFA's ludicrous "changing the shape of your body by raising your arm...blah blah balderdash" that's handball.  It's bent, plain as the etc...

With that established; even if Neville gets England's defence sorted into some sort of coherent competency, they're all wasting their time trying to win this tournament.  They'll have to score a goal every five minutes at least, from long range, without tackling anybody, to keep the score ahead of FIFA's zealous hatred of all things English and whichever nation is already anointed as world champions.  That a script is already written for this tournament is clear for all to see, the fine detail of the final act is yet to be revealed but sure as eggs is eggs and Infantino is a most worthy successor to blatter, nobody English is on the cast list.
    Defying those odds would make Phil Neville, Bev Priestman and their entire squad worthy of Knighthoods, Damehoods probably even ennoblement.  Poor sods are fighting with one hand tied behind their backs, laces tied together, blindfolds on, in a game where the actual rules are known to but few indeedand ever likely to be changed to suit the malign overlords.
    Would be grateful if you could provide link to a definition of the current laws of the game that allows a referee to not penalise a player who kicks a player, no matter that it is accidental, in a follow through after making contact with the ball. 

Also, regarding the Nigerian handball incident. I watched it several times, as did the VAR panel, and I nor the panel could say for certain she touched the ball. Have you seen a TV angle that proves she touched the ball?

I won’t bother addressing your outrageous, Farage like  and grotesquely offensive claim that the whole tournament is rigged against the English.
  • Options
    Welcome to Thundercock!
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    The French forward stopped short of making a two footed tackle and the Norwegian player caught the top of the ball and went into the players knee, every game I have seen this season about 250 in the flesh or on TV that has been given as a foul 
    So why not in this game 

Once the most experienced ref in this WC deemed the French player hadn't foul despite it looking iffy then it was a foul and Penalty.

You can shout as loud as you like but playing the top of the ball first and then catching into a players knee or leg has been a foul for the last 10 years if not longer.
    Where is @PeterGage the CL ref ?

• Options
    edited June 2019
    I haven't got the laws in front of me but there is a bit about a careless kick in them using the word careless. That is something you don't mean to do but one would assume is avoidable. The definition of careless is: not giving sufficient attention or thought to avoiding harm or error.

So you might say to somebody who has done something careless, don't try to do that again, it was potentially dangerous, for example. Who in their right mind would be able to say that about kicking the ball out of your area. That she kicked the top of the ball which forced her foot up was a mis-kick but she was right to try to kick it out. It can't be a foul like an ill-judged tackle where a player gets the ball but risks hurting an opponent can be. 

I would say the way the French girl dived in has a stronger case for being careless in all honesty. But the truth is, there was no foul, end of.

I think it is another case of a ref who doesn't understand the game, sadly.  What is strange is it is surely the sort of decision you might give then overturn after VAR. The ref will have seen the contact in real time and didn't give it. Then she would have seen how it happened and did. She should be sent home now but won't be. 

• Options
    Brazilian no 14......part time supermodel surely.