Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Women’s World Cup

Comments

• Options
    To be clear, I've no problem with women's football in general. My issue is people who  pretend it's better than it is. They should be paid according to the standard. What's the average wage in the kent league?
    I can watch a women's tennis match and really enjoy it, despite knowing they cannot compete against the men. The skill, energy and athleticism is there for me to see.

With the women's football I just dont get the similar feeling when I watch that.
  • Options

The smaller goals argument, for me, is a very good one. I'd hazard a guess that the goalkeepers, who are undeniably the least developed position by some considerable margin, would welcome it.

• Options
    The takes on the USA's 13-0 win over Thailand on being the driving point behind equal pay for women in soccer are well off the mark and truly highlight why soccer support in this country is not where it should be. Simple economics says that the team that generates the more money and gets the most viewers are going to be paid more handsomely, as it just so happens, that's the Men's national team. Should that be the case in the United States? ABSOLUTELY NOT! Our men's team is an absolute disgrace and the structure of the American soccer federation is a joke. The women are coming off a World Cup win 4 years ago and are the favorites to win again this year. The women deserve more support than they get and although support for them in a world cup year is good, fans need to remember that the team still exists in other friendlies and tournaments outside of the world cup. You can't just be a fan for one month every 4 years and demand equal pay for the women's team. When the women get as much GENUINE support as the men, the equal pay argument will start to have traction, but until then, the argument is moot. I do believe the women should have equal pay, but the fans have to be the one's to help them
  • Options
    To be clear, I've no problem with women's football in general. My issue is people who  pretend it's better than it is. They should be paid according to the standard. What's the average wage in the kent league?
    It is different. Women's tennis stands up on its own and is entertaining even though any decent man on the circuit will beat the best woman player. That is irrelevant, and women's football can be entertaining in its own right. I am looking forward to this world cup when the big games come.
    Women's tennis doesn't stand up on its own if we judge it by quality. The top women's player would barely break the top 150 in the men's game.

Women are demanding equal pay in sport yet they can't play at the same level - rightly or wrongly that's a fact. Strength/physicality remain an issue in most sports. 
  • Options
    When England men Beat San Marino 9-1 we scored an own goal after 6 seconds by Stuart Pearce and from memory we needed to win 12-0 to have a chance of qualifying !

In the she believe cup England drew 1-1 with the USA but the worry is this will give so much confidence to the powerhouse side in women's football despite the hapless opposition.
    Wasn’t it a complete cock-up rather than an own goal?
    I just remember Stuart Pearce looking Sheepish, if it wasn't an own goal I think it was Psycho's assist.
  • Options
    This is true - the USA women's team is something for their fans to be proud of - definitely more so than the men's team. 
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:
    The takes on the USA's 13-0 win over Thailand on being the driving point behind equal pay for women in soccer are well off the mark and truly highlight why soccer support in this country is not where it should be. Simple economics says that the team that generates the more money and gets the most viewers are going to be paid more handsomely, as it just so happens, that's the Men's national team. Should that be the case in the United States? ABSOLUTELY NOT! Our men's team is an absolute disgrace and the structure of the American soccer federation is a joke. The women are coming off a World Cup win 4 years ago and are the favorites to win again this year. The women deserve more support than they get and although support for them in a world cup year is good, fans need to remember that the team still exists in other friendlies and tournaments outside of the world cup. You can't just be a fan for one month every 4 years and demand equal pay for the women's team. When the women get as much GENUINE support as the men, the equal pay argument will start to have traction, but until then, the argument is moot. I do believe the women should have equal pay, but the fans have to be the one's to help them
    In the UK the women's game hasn't really taken off and lags a long way behind the men's game. It needs more publicity, better marketing and also an improved product.

If England were successful at the World Cup it certainly wouldn't do any harm.
  • Options
    It is different. Women's tennis stands up on its own and is entertaining even though any decent man on the circuit will beat the best woman player. That is irrelevant, and women's football can be entertaining in its own right. I am looking forward to this world cup when the big games come.
    Women's tennis doesn't stand up on its own if we judge it by quality. The top women's player would barely break the top 150 in the men's game.

Women are demanding equal pay in sport yet they can't play at the same level - rightly or wrongly that's a fact. Strength/physicality remain an issue in most sports. 

Actually, Serena Williams wouldn't break in to the top 1500-2000 in the mens game.

For the record, I prefer watching womens tennis as the lack of power makes games more interesting.

• Options
    As is clear from my comments on this thread I champion women's football but the wages can't go much higher unless the advertisers or sky, BT get involved.

I feel female tennis players are a tad lucky in getting equal pay as they play 3 sets and not 5. 

In my experience sexist remarks come from guys who don't have daughter's, partners etc who play sport to a decent level or even play sport at all.

• Options
    As is clear from my comments on this thread I champion women's football but the wages can't go much higher unless the advertisers or sky, BT get involved.

I feel female tennis players are a tad lucky in getting equal pay as they play 3 sets and not 5. 

In my experience sexist remarks come from guys who don't have daughter's, partners etc who play sport to a decent level or even play sport at all.

Women tennis players are nowhere near as good as men so they're doing very well to get equal pay.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What an absolute farce. 
    At the risk of sounding sexist, where the Thai girls playing at the wrong time of the month?

At the risk of sounding.. sexist?  And at the risk of sounding like an idiot.
    What's the matter with you?  I know you're a wind up so i should leave it but a stupid comment yet again from you.

• Options

The smaller goals argument, for me, is a very good one. I'd hazard a guess that the goalkeepers, who are undeniably the least developed position by some considerable margin, would welcome it.

The only problem with this is that it makes the game much less accessible, which again hands a little more power to the already-developed nations insofar as they'd be better at implementing the necessary infrastructure.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

The only problem with this is that it makes the game much less accessible, which again hands a little more power to the already-developed nations insofar as they'd be better at implementing the necessary infrastructure.
    Point taken. What about some giant comedy foam hands for keepers playing for a nation outside the top 20? (Joke, obviously)

Maybe lower crossbars and leave the width the same? It's not that difficult to score past somene barely taller than 5'4" and reminds me of when I played junior football and you'd just launch a shot high and to the side of the keepers as they had little chance of getting to the ball.

All that said, there's a case to be made that we should take a step back and let them figure it out for themselves.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    What is needed is proper coaching. My son is a keeper and has had professional coaching and you can tell the difference and it makes a big difference. I don't know how she has been coached but the Chile keeper has been well coached - that is clear also. Maybe her dad was a keeper! It is what the FA should be prioritising in this country if they are not already doing so. I am looking forward to watching her against the USA. The rest of her team is rubbish. 

The point is though, there is no reason why a woman can't be a decent keeper. We don't need to make the goals smaller but the keepers better, which needs a bit of money and some targeted schemes.

• Options
    Two decent games coming up.
  • Options
    Two goals in the Nig-Kor game.

One a comedy own goal, and the other a great counter attack.
  • Options
    Smudge, do you really miss real war that much that you imagine this tedious process of baiting to be some kind of acceptable substitute? As a great man once said, Sad!
  • Options
    Extremely disrespectful....

....to the Kent League.
  • Options
    I do think there can be a tendency to over praise things not deserving of praise and sometimes not criticising enough. An example - the Thailand keeper was rubbish yesterday. I think it is disrespectful to the womens' not saying she was crap. The game has come a long way and doesn't need or deserve patronising. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Two goals in the Nig-Kor game.

One a comedy own goal, and the other a great counter attack.
    Impressive finish from a tough angle for the 2nd
  • Options
    edited June 2019

The pay issue is nothing to do with quality for me. The pay will be down to how much money is directly generated from the women competing....

The womens game doesn't attract the crowds, brand / sponsor investment or TV viewing figures. Suffice to say if the money isnt pumping in to it, the financial output such as wages will be reduced.

Its this logic that suggests to me the leading womens tennis players should be paid very highly. The game attracts all of the above.
  • Options
    With regards to pay I'd be curious to see what the Men were paid before SKY came along etc.

Think that would be a better comparison with what the women are currently paid seeing they dont have the same sponsorship etc. that the mens game has
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I can't work out why your still single smudger ?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I knew Renard was tall but bloody hell, that cameraman needed a crane as he went through the line up while they performed the national anthem.
  • Options
    Big crowd for the hosts.
    The highest profile Female ref who officiates in the Bundesliga.

France v Norway, a proper contest.
  • Options
    I knew Renard was tall but bloody hell, that cameraman needed a crane as he went through the line up while they performed the national anthem.
    6 foot 2
  • Options
    Open game. Can't believe France haven't scored.