Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Winter Olympics 2018

Haven't seen a thread for this yet so thought I'd kick off as it starts on Friday.

What I know about the technical aspects of winter sports amounts to zero but I love them as a sporting spectacle and will be catching as much as I can as usual.

What are you looking forward to most? Let's hope we see our own adopted Addick on the podium again and does Clive still have his moustache?

Comments

• The curling.
  • The curling.

Anna Sloan is back so looking forward to the Curling for sure!!

Shame its in South Korea so wont get to see much of it live

Hopefully Elise Christie gets a medal in the speed skating after the terrible judging @ Sochi
  • Ice Hockey, think it’s a joke the NHL players can’t particpate but it should still be a good watch.

I disagree, the nhl is everything and with the nature of the sport injuries to star players in the Olympics can kill a teams chances. It’s a good platform for the under 21’s to shine. It’s like football in the summer Olympics
  • I much prefer the Winter Olympics. I’m expecting the Italians to do well at the skiing. Martin fourcade of France to bag a couple of golds
  • John Tavares blowing out his knee playing at te 2014 Olympics stuffed any chances of that. The Islanders lose their best player while he's filling out the fourth line for Canada, and for what? The NHL owners have shown time and time again they don't care about screwing the fans when their money is at stake. It's a shame but not a surprise.
  • edited February 2018
    The Jamaican bobsleigh team.

Only this time it's the women's turn.
  • edited February 2018
    Is the young lady from a Charlton supporting family competing ?
    She won a gold medal last time .
  • Is the young lady from a Charlton supporting family competing ?

Yeah Lizzy Yarnold (Skeleton) - One of a handful of Gold Medal opportunities
  • I much prefer the Winter Olympics. I’m expecting the Italians to do well at the skiing. Martin fourcade of France to bag a couple of golds

Me too, give me the winters over athletics any day of the week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Is the young lady from a Charlton supporting family competing ?

Yeah Lizzy Yarnold (Skeleton) - One of a handful of Gold Medal opportunities
    Thanks . Lets hope she can do it again .
  • edited February 2018
    Good on ya Lizzy!

She must be the first Addick to carry the flag at the Olympics...

bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/42973092

• Going to take an interest in this and follow it closely. Look forward to the opening ceremony.

Apparently temperatures maybe an issue as it's likely to hit -25 with wind chill on the mountains...Canadians competitors are concerned which says a lot.

It's going to prompt me to watch eddy the eagle film before the spectacle begins.
  • For those who have forgotten Anna Sloan (Curling)...
  • Good on ya Lizzy!

Wasn't there a Judo star as well?
  • For those who have forgotten Anna Sloan (Curling)...

those eyes
  • edited February 2018

For those who have forgotten Anna Sloan (Curling)...

Eve Muirhead too.

• Love it - know a few of the athletes and coaches from the Cross Country Skiing world & will be cheering them on, along with the Brits. I see the effort it takes to get there & what it means to make the team - makes it such a shame that some get there with the aid of doping.

Talking of the Nordic skiing watch out for the two Brits Andrews Musgrave & Young who have an outside chance of a medal - an incredible sporting achievement in a sport which we have zero track record and facilities.
  • Good on ya Lizzy!

I hope she switches flags for a Roland out one.
  • Here we go with the opening ceremony then. Anyone watching?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2018
    So far this ceremony is boring kak. Where are the drums?
    When do we get Kim Jong Un parachuting from a helicopter?
    The Beijing opening was the best ever, and Euro 96 at Wembley one of the worst.
    Ah, drums.
  • Busby Berkeley now.
  • Not very exciting so far, I imagine the audience are all frozen solid by now!
  • Not very exciting so far, I imagine the audience are all frozen solid by now!

Pah...wimps. Have they never been to Roots Hall on a windy Tuesday night in December???
  • The Bermuda team are wearing shorts.
    Proper tough guys.
  • been watching the freestyle snowboarding. those Canadians seem to make it look easy.
  • the short track skating is about to start. that's always a bit hectic.
  • Time for Elise Christie to smash it to make up for last time. Can't imagine how nervous she must be.

• edited February 2018
    I wonder how many on here have tried some of these winter sports? i presume some would of had skiing holidays.

my personal experiences are going on a wheeled bobsleigh in the alps on a dry slope/run due to it being summer when I went, i also once went ice skating in Gillingham for a birthday as a kid and as a kid in the snow going up a hill and sliding down it on a homemade sledge/dustbin lid. so I wonder if all that qualifies me in this country as being rather experienced.
  • This skating this morning has been mad. Almost every race someone goes crashing out.