Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Winter Olympics 2018

Comments

• WTF... Speed Skating is just bizarre with its rules

Korea didnt make the exchange in their relay properly which resulted in one of their athletes wiping out the Canadians - The result of the referee decision was for the Canadians to be eliminated with the Chinese (who did nothing wrong) - Means that the Dutch who didnt even make the A Final have been given Bronze after winning the B Final!!
  • edited February 2018
    Riviera said:

MrOneLung said:

Riviera said:

I know nothing about speed skating but I can clearly see this girl is a disaster zone, second games running she has done nothing but eff up. Don't we have anyone better?

Better than the multiple world champion ?
    No, I dont think we do.
    As I said I know nothing about Speed Skating and didn't even know there was a WC but like many I watch the Olympics and see lots of sports I never usually watch. Two Olympics running she has been awful and looked nothing like a World Champion, she doesn't even seem to know the rules!
    Did no one else turn up for the World Champs, because I cant see her as a winner, unless its for sobbing. Perhaps Kleenex should sponsor her?
  • Riviera said:

MrOneLung said:

Riviera said:

I know nothing about speed skating but I can clearly see this girl is a disaster zone, second games running she has done nothing but eff up. Don't we have anyone better?

No, I dont think we do.
    As I said I know nothing about Speed Skating and didn't even know there was a WC but like many I watch the Olympics and see lots of sports I never usually watch. Two Olympics running she has been awful and looked nothing like a World Champion, she doesn't even seem to know the rules!
    The way the so called rules have been applied/made up on the whim of a bloke in a jacket, nobody has any hope of knowing what they're supposed to be.
  • Riviera said:

MrOneLung said:

Riviera said:

No, I dont think we do.
    The way the so called rules have been applied/made up on the whim of a bloke in a jacket, nobody has any hope of knowing what they're supposed to be.
    You'd have thought the multi world champion would though?
  • .The way the so called rules have been applied/made up on the whim of a bloke in a jacket, nobody has any hope of knowing what they're supposed to be.

Doesn't this apply to all winter sports though?
  • Right bunch of miserable bastards on here. I enjoy seeing people representing GB and winning medals. Always going to be situations where people don’t live up to expectations, that’s sport right? I doubt any of these athletes make anywhere near what Nicky Ajose makes and he’s been pretty fucking useless for the last 2 years. I bet they train and dedicate themselves a lot more than the majority of footballers. I don’t think it’s s waste of money at all. Be plenty of moaning if we went back 20 years when we were winning nothing at these events.
  • edited February 2018
    Addickted said:

£2m of funding on speed skating since the last winter Olympics well spent then.

Never mind, there's always four years time.

Maybe her coach is South African and she thought it was arse skating?
  • Nug said:

Right bunch of miserable bastards on here. I enjoy seeing people representing GB and winning medals. Always going to be situations where people don’t live up to expectations, that’s sport right? I doubt any of these athletes make anywhere near what Nicky Ajose makes and he’s been pretty fucking useless for the last 2 years. I bet they train and dedicate themselves a lot more than the majority of footballers. I don’t think it’s s waste of money at all. Be plenty of moaning if we went back 20 years when we were winning nothing at these events.

Ajose got pelters too though....
  • Nug said:

Right bunch of miserable bastards on here. I enjoy seeing people representing GB and winning medals. Always going to be situations where people don’t live up to expectations, that’s sport right? I doubt any of these athletes make anywhere near what Nicky Ajose makes and he’s been pretty fucking useless for the last 2 years. I bet they train and dedicate themselves a lot more than the majority of footballers. I don’t think it’s s waste of money at all. Be plenty of moaning if we went back 20 years when we were winning nothing at these events.

So do I. As long as I don't have to subsidise her lifestyle for the next four years. She's had two chances now and if it means so much to her, go and knock yourself out to win a gold girl. I'll be the first to stand up and applaud you should you so do it.

Eddie 'The Eagle' Edwards, proper Olympian spirit, not this pampered mollycoddled lifestyle that people chose, in a sport in which about 20 people in the Country compete. Different matter if you're the best of 10,000 - funding makes sense then.

• Sponsored links:

• Addickted said:

She's the Paula Radcliffe of speed skating.
  • Riviera said:

Addickted said:

She's the Paula Radcliffe of speed skating.
    Do you mean, don't eat the brown ice.
  • Halix said:

Riviera said:

MrOneLung said:

Riviera said:

No, I dont think we do.
    Did no one else turn up for the World Champs, because I cant see her as a winner, unless its for sobbing. Perhaps Kleenex should sponsor her?
    It's does seem strange how a world Champion can be so flakey mentally in the Olympic's. 6 out of 6 in two games she's been disqualified or crashed out. Christie's risk assessment and tactics seemed questionable.
  • I agree. 6 out of 6 cannot be just bad luck.
  • well pleased for Mica and Mica. crowdfunded their was to the olympics and have just finished 8th in the bobsleigh
  • edited February 2018
    rina said:

well pleased for Mica and Mica. crowdfunded their was to the olympics and have just finished 8th in the bobsleigh

Proper Olympians. Hats off to them.

Seeing as they actually completed their competition, perhaps some of the speed skating funding can be shifted to the womans bobsleigh.
  • Addickted said:

Nug said:

So do I. As long as I don't have to subsidise her lifestyle for the next four years. She's had two chances now and if it means so much to her, go and knock yourself out to win a gold girl. I'll be the first to stand up and applaud you should you so do it.

Eddie 'The Eagle' Edwards, proper Olympian spirit, not this pampered mollycoddled lifestyle that people chose, in a sport in which about 20 people in the Country compete. Different matter if you're the best of 10,000 - funding makes sense then.

I was disappointed to hear that there will never be another Eddie the Eagle - the rules have been changed so that competitors have to meet a minimum standard. It became something of a quest to find an Olympic sport which nobody else in the UK bothered with, meaning that no matter how good or bad you were, you would be in the team. Alas no more.
  • edited February 2018

Winter Olympics 2018: The bizarre story of Elizabeth Swaney, the worst skier at the Pyeongchang Games

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/winter-olympics/winter-olympics-2018-pyeongchang-elizabeth-swaney-ski-halfpipe-video-average-a8218991.html

If this is a rebuttal of my comment above, the article does list the rules, some of which were put in place after Eddie the Eagle hit the world stage, but this young lady found a way round them. From Wikipedia: The widespread attention that Edwards received in Calgary was embarrassing to some in the ski jumping establishment. In 1990, shortly after the Olympics finished, the entry requirements were strengthened in order to make it nearly impossible for anyone to follow his example: the International Olympic Committee (IOC) instituted what became known as the Eddie the Eagle Rule, which requires Olympic hopefuls to compete in international events and be placed in the top 30% or the top 50 competitors, whichever is fewer.
  • Waste of time staying up for the curling. If some of our ‘athletes’ got the same amount of publicity as footballers do they’d get absolutely slaughtered.
  • Sponsored links:

• The men’s ski halfpipe on the other hand is a joy to watch. Some of what they do and the age of some of them is unbelievable.
  • Winter Olympics 2018: The bizarre story of Elizabeth Swaney, the worst skier at the Pyeongchang Games

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/winter-olympics/winter-olympics-2018-pyeongchang-elizabeth-swaney-ski-halfpipe-video-average-a8218991.html

Its a shame...

Sport does seem to become more elitist these days, already that article says there arent more women who do this event, yet by strengthening rules they're just making it harder for women (and men) to bother to get into the Sport in the first place.

Like she says too... She never crashes (Dont know if she could) so surely there is no safety risk for her?
  • Waste of time staying up for the curling. If some of our ‘athletes’ got the same amount of publicity as footballers do they’d get absolutely slaughtered.

bloody waste of time that was !! sat up until 2.30 to then see them capitulate as easy as our back 4 this coming Saturday. I know I've never slid a stone in my life, but why not pick up the points when on offer ?? The blanked an end with Steve Cram saying "that's ok, they'll keep the hammer for the last end" - thats no bloody good if you are 4 down come the 10th. Worry about that at the time - get the points on the board you numpties !!!!
  • The women are on verge of losing their semi-final.

A bad shot turns a probable 1 point gain to make it 5-4 Sweden into a 3 point loss to make it 8-3 Sweden
  • Saga Lout said:

Winter Olympics 2018: The bizarre story of Elizabeth Swaney, the worst skier at the Pyeongchang Games

If this is a rebuttal of my comment above, the article does list the rules, some of which were put in place after Eddie the Eagle hit the world stage, but this young lady found a way round them. From Wikipedia: The widespread attention that Edwards received in Calgary was embarrassing to some in the ski jumping establishment. In 1990, shortly after the Olympics finished, the entry requirements were strengthened in order to make it nearly impossible for anyone to follow his example: the International Olympic Committee (IOC) instituted what became known as the Eddie the Eagle Rule, which requires Olympic hopefuls to compete in international events and be placed in the top 30% or the top 50 competitors, whichever is fewer.
    So how did the Nigerian women's bobsleigh team get to compete at these games?

Or the Ghanaian vacuum cleaner salesman in the skeleton?

bloody waste of time that was !! sat up until 2.30 to then see them capitulate as easy as our back 4 this coming Saturday. I know I've never slid a stone in my life, but why not pick up the points when on offer ?? The blanked an end with Steve Cram saying "that's ok, they'll keep the hammer for the last end" - thats no bloody good if you are 4 down come the 10th. Worry about that at the time - get the points on the board you numpties !!!!
    Yeah I'm sure they know less than you.
  • Addickted said:

Saga Lout said:

So how did the Nigerian women's bobsleigh team get to compete at these games?

Or the Ghanaian vacuum cleaner salesman in the skeleton?
    Regarding the bobsleigh team, according to a Canadian news website (story from 2017):

"Driver Adigun, who represented Nigeria in the 100 metres at the 2012 Olympics, and brakemen Onwumere and Omeoga, completed the fifth of their required five qualifying races in Calgary on Wednesday.

Although the Nigerians have achieved the qualifying standard, there is still work to be done. Countries hoping to race in Pyeongchang must be in the top 40 of the global rankings on Jan. 14 after seven World Cup races."

And the Ghanaian skeleton guy, according to an African news website:

"He managed to make the International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation (IBSF) mark of ranking in the top 60 by middle of January".
  • As a rule, you like to get at least 2 points before giving up the hammer.

In early ends you are likely to blank rather than take just 1.

For instance end one the oppo goes 2-0 up
    End two you take 1 point, give the hammer to the oppo and they then get the expected 2 points next end.
    You are then 4-1down after 3 ends.

Or

end one - the oppo goes 2-0
    end two - you give up the chance of 1 point and blank the end.
    You retain the hammer and next end you get your 2 points.
    Result is you are 2-2 after 3 ends rather than 4-1 down
  • Still not sure how they can enter a Winter Olympic competition when they haven't reached a qualifying standard until less than a week before the competition.

On Jan 14th they weren't in the top 50 global rankings and only completed their 5th qualifying race four weeks after they had to complete seven.

If you include Juniors in the skeleton, the Ghanaian is not even in the top 133.