Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Winter Olympics 2018

Comments

• Saga Lout said:

I am liking Eve Muirhead (GB Curling) - I don't suppose any other lifer fancies her?

Them eyes do it at if for me or when she stands down the other end screaming haaard hard harder , it's hard not get a twitch
  • Saga Lout said:

I am liking Eve Muirhead (GB Curling) - I don't suppose any other lifer fancies her?

Is she our new owner!
  • Saga Lout said:

Is she our new owner!
    I'm talking about love, not ownership. :-)
  • Saga Lout said:

Anna sloan is lovely too
    Worryingly (for me anyway) she looks like my God daughter so any fantasies about her that appear in my brain are quickly forgotten as I question my lack of morals.
  • Any thread that descends into lechery makes for excellent psychoanalytic material. I'm glad you've made this breakthrough, Paul, it's a big step *adjusts glasses*
  • Curling is such an absorbing watch.
  • Really dont understand Speed Skating!!!
  • so she's out? what's the diff between a yellow card and a penalty?
  • Why didnt the one who nearly took Christie out get in trouble too?
  • Sponsored links:

• Its almost like they're taking the piss.
  • Blimey, that's way over the top.
  • The BBC are dreadful. They feed directly into the sort of myopic sports culture that has people obsessing over British athletes and British medals, without any sort of regard for the rest of the Olympics - but they're guiltier than anyone. The fawning over 'our' athletes is sickening. It's only a short leap from that to the moronic cries of 'bottler' and 'let their country down' that follow any failure to gain a medal.
  • £2m of funding on speed skating since the last winter Olympics well spent then.

Never mind, there's always four years time.
  • edited February 2018
    I know nothing about speed skating but I can clearly see this girl is a disaster zone, second games running she has done nothing but eff up. Don't we have anyone better?
  • I want to know how all the athletes pass a drug test in speed skating?
  • Addickted said:

£2m of funding on speed skating since the last winter Olympics well spent then.

Is that £2M of public money?
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:

Riviera said:

I know nothing about speed skating but I can clearly see this girl is a disaster zone, second games running she has done nothing but eff up. Don't we have anyone better?

Better than the multiple world champion ?
    No, I dont think we do.
    I think @Riviera is just outraged that speed skating is just another ruse the BBC have come up with to distract us from the real story.
  • Addickted said:

How much funding goes on Football though?

£2m on Speed Skating = Multiple World Champion
    £???m on Football = Absolutely nothing
  • se9addick said:

Addickted said:

From both the Exchequer and the National Lottery via UK Sport
  • Addickted said:

se9addick said:

Addickted said:

From both the Exchequer and the National Lottery via UK Sport
    So public money, doesn't matter how you dress it up.
  • MrOneLung said:

Riviera said:

Better than the multiple world champion ?
    No, I dont think we do.
    As I said I know nothing about Speed Skating and didn't even know there was a WC but like many I watch the Olympics and see lots of sports I never usually watch. Two Olympics running she has been awful and looked nothing like a World Champion, she doesn't even seem to know the rules!
  • Addickted said:

We're not talking about football. This is direct funding, from the taxpayer, to an individual who can become a 'professional' in a minority sport over 8 years, with the sole purpose of winning Olympic medals.

Which she has failed at, miserably, twice.

She'd have got more money if she'd sold sponsorship on each buttock cheek.

The primary role of UK Sport is to strategically invest National Lottery and Exchequer income to maximise the performance of UK athletes in the Olympic and Paralympic Games and the global events which precede them.

Investment decisions are made on a four year basis wherever possible to cover a complete Olympic or Paralympic cycle but are focussed on an eight year performance development model.

Success is measured by the medals won, the number of medallists developed, and the quality of the systems and processes in place to find and support the nation’s most promising future champions.
  • Addickted said:

Football is part of the fabric of our society - I'm not 100% sure we can say the same about speed skating.
  • A government body funding individuals to become Olympians in unfashionable disciplines for the sole purpose of securing medals....that's the Olympic spirit, right there!!!
  • You shouldn't blame the individual, though. This is all on UK Sport and the BBC
  • Olympic sport is essentially a nationalized industry. I'm amazed we do as well as we do considering the government and their appointed minions are running it!!